Author Topic: my battery light came on as well as my parking brake light  (Read 13816 times)

chevyLUVtoyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
OK.... i got a new alternator and REG .....and its still on???? now  what???

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
just a dum ?       is it charging   and is the battery any good :dunno:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
My toy did the same thing, battery and brake light came on same time, replaced the altenator and the brake and altenator light were still on, the altenator was a rebuilt wiith life time warranty, i took it back and they tested it, the diodes were bad so they gave me another one, put it in and all lights went off and she hlods a charge :thumbs:

chevyLUVtoyota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
has not died on my yet
and its a newer  battery

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
OK.... i got a new alternator and REG .....and its still on???? now what???
What kind of alt. did you buy?
Roll me back over !!!

chevyLUVtoyota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
umm donno it was 145$ tho

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I would take it back where you bought it and have them test it.  When I bught my remanufactured alt. it worked for like 15min. then stopped charging.  Took it back to the shop and they tested it, the diodes were bad already so they gave me another one and it works fine.  If the alt test's good you might want to check your battery, then fuses, connections(wire harnesses, grounds..etc.), What year is the motor?  Mine an 86 but I know the earlyer ones had the regulator seperate from the alt. you could check that.  My regulator is located in the alt.          * I had to drain my rad. to change mine as well *

chevyLUVtoyota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 regulator seperate and thats all new too

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
umm donno it was 145$ tho

You don't know what you bought or what brand?
Roll me back over !!!

chevyLUVtoyota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
thay are still on but it dont die whats up with this thing??

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just went through all of this, The alt is a PITA to pull out. It was not my alt,reg,diode,brake fluid,none of that. Belive it or not it was emissions related.  The charge/brake light combo is (as my mechanic put it) a primative check engine light it will come on if there is any problem. I replaced the charge lamp relay,still on,had carb rebuilt and all of the vacume lines as well as the thermal vacume and bi metal valve (whatever those are)replaced, it dropped my emissions down to well within passing in CA and the lights went off.  try looking beyond the charging system, I spent days in autozone hell pulling and testing various electrical parts for nothing. good luck man.

mountain,man1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That same thing happened to me about a week ago it turned out to be corrosion on a battery terminals so now I carry a cleaner kit in my truck at all times
88 TurdRunner 22RE W56B 31x10.5R15 no lift rust assisted weight reduction 100% trail damage

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Alternator on it's way out. Just a matter of time.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Alternator on it's way out. Just a matter of time.

I don't agree with that. I had a new rebuilt alternator in my truck (replaced because of the lights :hammerhead: and it was nice to have the new alternator in there but they didn't turn off (and stay off) until I redid the pigtail.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
i went through three shucks ones in a little over three months and two of them were within a week and a half of each other, then i got a toyota remanufactured one for $180 and havent had any problems since

I had a similar situation.  Wen through 3 Pep Boys reman'd alternators - LIFE TIME WARRANTY -  the last one went out in Death Valley.. what a hassle that was.... long story.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
That same thing happened to me about a week ago it turned out to be corrosion on a battery terminals so now I carry a cleaner kit in my truck at all times

The clear looking corrosion that collects on the battery terminals has been and issue with me more than once or twice.  I use that wire brush thing to clean the terminals and the battery cable clamps. 

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W147C-Terminal-Cleaning/dp/B004BTV82U/ref=asc_df_B004BTV82U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948264947&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=571586309959112385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030014&hvtargid=pla-762288584632&psc=1

I pour a solution of baking soda and water over the battery terminals and rinse it off.

I then spray this on the clamps and terminal posts:

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W147C-Terminal-Cleaning/dp/B004BTV82U/ref=asc_df_B004BTV82U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948264947&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=571586309959112385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030014&hvtargid=pla-762288584632&psc=1

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

I had a strange charging issue when I had my 85 22R.  I had an Autometer Ammeter in the truck. It was showing a 30 amp charge all the time.  I could not figure out what was causing it.  I cleaned the battery terminals and cable clamps. I checked all the connection on everything on the alternator and ground straps to engine.  The battery was fairly new and all the cells were perfect.  It was making me crazy.  I drove to an auto electric shop.  3 “experts” looked at everything… after about 1 hour, they said they could not figure out what was causing the ammeter to show a heavy charge, and said the ammeter was bad.  I didn’t buy that.

I drove by the auto parts store and picked up new battery cables.  As I was removing the positive cable, the clamp bolt fell off.  I looked at the clamp, and discovered there was a pocket of corrosion where the end of the head of the bolt that was cast into the clamp had corrosion.  It was inside the lead clamp and not visible.  There was just enough resistance that made the alternator work to try to overcome it…. Thus the high amp charge showing on the gauge.

Gnarls.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Still fixN chit from 06?

mountain,man1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I use the spray cleaner with the post brush then the red terminal protector spray but I've only had corrosion issues with cheap batteries sometime soon I'm going to replacement battery with Optima Yellow top but for some reason I can start my truck pull my battery put it in another vehicle and still drive the 4Runner around all day and it wont die it's an EFI is that normal the 4Runner is the only truck I've had that's done that
88 TurdRunner 22RE W56B 31x10.5R15 no lift rust assisted weight reduction 100% trail damage