Author Topic: Hydro Assist:box and pump mods  (Read 337538 times)

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Re: Hydro Assist:box and pump mods
« Reply #390 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »
Any chance we can get the pictures back?

What size inserts/fittings is everyone using when they tap the box?
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
1/4" NPT to JIC-6 fittings for the box.

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Dec 28, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
I went to read this again as I was planning on doing this mod and the pictures were not working.  Is my computer being dumb or is the web site not letting me see them?

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »
They have been down for awhile... not sure why.  Check out the Youtube video on the last page.  That was a big help for me.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

kdub0013

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 622
  • Member since Apr '11
  • no mommies wey
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Jan 18, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
Once out, turn the restrictor upside down on a hard surface and tap a couple of times. A bushing will fall out. Now drill the orifice in the restrictor out to 13/64. After drilled out, put the bushing back in and bolt it all back together.
Now, some people get nervous because @ this stage, your ram will not keep up with the speed in which you are trying to turn. A simple 10 min. pump mod will take care of the problem. Some people shim the spring inside which I have heard will burn up a pump. For this part, I used a 13/64 drill bit, drill, 17mm combination wrench, and a crescent wrench. Remove the High pressure line from the pump and then the restrictor itself. When removing the restrictor, be careful that the spring inside and the plunger do not shoot out and become lost. If you are careful, they will just sit inside when you remove the restrictor.

Am I missing something here? I thought there used to be pictures of the pump and restrictor plate but I can't find it anymore.  :headscratch:

boomtacoma01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: Feb 07, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
They are not loading for me as well
85 Ext Cab 22RE, 3 Linked front D60, 14B, Full Hydro and 40s
IG @boomtacoma01

yoterk1d2

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
Hi guys, i am getting ready to put the hydro assist on my yota,. I was just wondering if its pretty much tha same procedure for the newer style boxes as well? Any feedback would be great!

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: Feb 20, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
Hi guys, i am getting ready to put the hydro assist on my yota,. I was just wondering if its pretty much tha same procedure for the newer style boxes as well? Any feedback would be great!

The newer style boxes have the centering valve thing that comes out with the 10mm allen.  For me, that thing would not come out without an easy out.  It's a huge pain, but I believe the newer style box is covered in the procedure.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Mar 16, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
Has anybody else bent their sector shaft yet?  I pulled mine off to tap the pressure left line in a different spot, and there's a noticeable drag part way through the steering.  I pulled out the sector shaft and it looks ever so slightly bent...  It's probably only a few thousandths off, but it's enough that the shaft is a big pain to pull out, and when it's part way out and I rotate it, you can sort of see that it's not concentric with the box.  I'm sure that means the bearings are failing too. 

I need a new box anyway for a variety of reasons, but I'm going to have to run it this way a little longer until I pick up and tap a new one.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 12:10:11 PM by Quick Draw »

BIGdrew

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Jun 07, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »
so i tapped my box and the fitting on the top vain will only thread in like a turn and a half...I dont think i can run the tap far enough into the hole to get the right taper for the 1/4 pipe thread...thought about cuttin my tap down but dont really wanna ruin it. Any suggestions??? Input Please!

BIGdrew

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Jun 07, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
Has anybody else bent their sector shaft yet?  I pulled mine off to tap the pressure left line in a different spot, and there's a noticeable drag part way through the steering.  I pulled out the sector shaft and it looks ever so slightly bent...  It's probably only a few thousandths off, but it's enough that the shaft is a big pain to pull out, and when it's part way out and I rotate it, you can sort of see that it's not concentric with the box.  I'm sure that means the bearings are failing too.

I need a new box anyway for a variety of reasons, but I'm going to have to run it this way a little longer until I pick up and tap a new one.

I broke the sector shaft in half right above the splines...on a ifs with 33s without hydro...Ive also seen boxes that the splines are bent\ twisted....anything is possible!

Danimal415

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: Aug 31, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »
What fluid do ya'll use in your hydro assist resies?

I bought the rig from a friend of mine several years back and he says I should use Chevy PS fluid?

But something tells me he needs to out down the pipe!

I have the PSC kit with a modified Toy box.

Any insight is appreciated.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Aug 31, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
Dex III
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

kdub0013

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 622
  • Member since Apr '11
  • no mommies wey
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:21:28 PM »
Just use power steering fluid.

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Sep 04, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
Toyota pumps don't like power steering fluid.  They like ATF.  Use ATF, or they will die in 1000 miles.  Ask me how I know.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: Sep 04, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »
Toyota pumps don't like power steering fluid.  They like ATF.  Use ATF, or they will die in 1000 miles.  Ask me how I know.
When I was running HA I ran ATF and a modded pump, I went through three pumps in one season, Bought a PSC pump and have not had a problem since.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Chuyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Aug 10, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
Anyone have this problem after they tapped the box???

I took it apart and rechecked the o-ring and it seems to be ok.

Should I take the input shaft apart and change the seal?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
My ? Is are you still running the feed through the abs on or using a new line straight to the box??

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: Aug 25, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »
Now, some people get nervous because @ this stage, your ram will not keep up with the speed in which you are trying to turn. A simple 10 min. pump mod will take care of the problem. Some people shim the spring inside which I have heard will burn up a pump. For this part, I used a 13/64 drill bit, drill, 17mm combination wrench, and a crescent wrench. Remove the High pressure line from the pump and then the restrictor itself. When removing the restrictor, be careful that the spring inside and the plunger do not shoot out and become lost. If you are careful, they will just sit inside when you remove the restrictor.

Once out, turn the restrictor upside down on a hard surface and tap a couple of times. A bushing will fall out. Now drill the orifice in the restrictor out to 13/64. After drilled out, put the bushing back in and bolt it all back together.

Does anyone know if this applies to the 3RZ pump as well?

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 275
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »

Is this similar to how a 3rz pump would be? I'm swapping my engine and have already tapped out the steering box.