Author Topic: Marlin shifter seat possible thickness difference between OEM?  (Read 1280 times)

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
I’ve been planning to replace the original shifter seat on my 3rd gen manual transmission 4Runner (transmission R150F), since it has over 288k miles on it, with a Marlin white shifter seat.

I was hoping folks here might be able to clarify whether there’s a noticeable thickness difference between the OEM shifter seat and the Marlin one? Or if my 4Runner’s old shifter seat is worn thin / compressed due to age? (See attached image.)

I’m asking because I removed the old shifter seat (which appeared to be in surprisingly good condition despite its age) and put in the Marlin shifter seat, and then wrestled with the shift handle retainer and spring for about half an hour but could not get it to go down far enough to twist and lock into place, even when pushing with plier handles as I’ve seen some folks recommend. When I put the old shifter seat in I was able to get the shift handle retainer locked in place very easily.

Our local shop installed a (red) Marlin shifter seat on my mom’s Toyota truck and she’s been very happy with it, so I know the parts are great quality and I’m definitely not trying to criticize Marlin folks, just hoping to figure out why I wasn’t able to get the shift handle retainer locked in place with the Marlin shifter seat and why I’m seeing a noticeable thickness difference between the old OEM Toyota shifter seat and the Marlin one.

Thank you!

KauriJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
For any other newbies who find this thread :) I thought I’d update this with an answer.

I got some info from a friend who has installed a lot of these, and the white Marlin shifter seat is (of course and as expected) the correct size. The shifter seat in my 4Runner is worn thin / compressed. It should require a bit of effort to push in and turn the shifter lock ring with a new shifter seat. (So I’m thinking the fact that it’s really easy to put in the lock ring with my 4Runner’s old shifter seat shows that it’s definitely ready to be replaced.)

Now I just need to figure out how to get my hands strong enough to push in that lock ring far enough and finally be able to upgrade the old shifter seat!

D3vilduck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
Ya, those suckers can be tight. There may be an OEM flexy washer under the shifter bushing that get replaced with the Marlin shifter bushing, but I could be mistaken. My OEM bushing was crumbing apart when I replaced mine.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8282
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
I replaced mine recently, it fits in there tight. I really had to push down hard on it to get it to seat all the way down so the collar would go down far enough to clear the hooks on the collar and turn to seat on the pins. Hope this makes sense.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Please note that our HD Shifter Seats combine both the factory seat (greenish/blue) as well as the rubber isolator/washer (black) that is located under the seat. So you remove both items from the base first, fully exposing the aluminum base housing, and then install our HD Seat. Therefore, it is thicker to account for the combined thickness of the two-piece OEM design.

Please see Step 1 of our Online Instructions, which states:

Quote from: Instructions
1. Remove and discard your old Toyota seat and rubber insulator fully exposing the aluminum.

Emphasis added for clarity. Hope this helps!

Regards,
BigMike

Product details: marlincrawler.com/transmission/shifter-parts/heavy-duty-seats

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki