Author Topic: AISIN Clutch Kit Questions  (Read 1905 times)

petescoffee

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
AISIN Clutch Kit Questions
« on: Feb 24, 2022, 02:00:13 PM »
Working on my 1986 Pickup, extended cab, SR5,  4x4, manual transmission, 22RE
Rebuilding the motor and going to put a new clutch in it before it goes back together.
Marlin and bunch of others suppliers are unfortunately out of clutch kits.

So I went to AISIN web site and figured out a AISIN clutch Kit CKT-024 should work.
https://aisinaftermarket.com/english/onlineparts.html
There are other clutch kits listed for 1986 but not for the 22RE

Scoured the internet and found one.
Matching up the clutch to what I pulled out and they do not match.
The clutch disc in Kit CKT-024 is Part number DTX-117 and has 4 springs.
the one I pulled out of truck does not have a part number  and has 2 springs and 4 rubber springs. Also the spline section is longer. See pictures

Is there another AISIN Kit part number I should be using or a Clutch Disc Part Number I can order to match what I pulled out? It looks more robust.

Or is the Toyota OEM one closer to what I pulled out? Toyota Part Number 31250-35410

I see 22RE performance shows a ASIN heavy duty clutch kit, but they do not show the AISIN part number to match it up.

Appreciate any input.

Dave

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,236
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: AISIN Clutch Kit Questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2022, 04:00:54 PM »
I have the same Toy.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1986,pickup,2.4l+l4,1277401,transmission-manual,clutch+friction+disc,10605

M-PACT 99542D 8-7/8" X 1-1/8" X 21T Info
Naturally Aspirated

As good as any clutch disc I've run. :thumbs:

Gnarls. :usa:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2022, 06:14:21 PM »

I see 22RE performance shows a ASIN heavy duty clutch kit, but they do not show the AISIN part number to match it up.

Hi Dave,

The 4 spring disc is a better quality disc and more reliable than the one with 2 springs and 4 rubber pucks.

Buy the M-PACT disc - it is a very high quality clutch disc.

I've run LUK, Aisin, Toyota, and Beck Arnley clutch discs.   The M-PACT is as good or better.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

petescoffee [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:25:39 PM »
Thanks for the information

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2022, 03:24:43 AM »
Thanks for the information

No charge.  :gap:

petescoffee [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2022, 03:44:04 PM »
I wanted to see what the OEM Toyota Clutch looked like in comparison so I ordered one.
Part Number 31250-60110 which is replaced by 31250-35410,  so clutch number 31250-35410. Not a cheap part.
It is made by AISIN but does not have a legible part number on the actual Disc.
Here is a side by side comparison picture of the OEM and AISIN Aftermarket that comes in the clutch kit.
The OEM is physically heavier, springs are different and it does not have the plastic retainers on the springs. Also the there is more spline engagement on the transmission.

Talking to several friends with Toyota's all of there first suggestion was to get the Marlin Crawler setup and be done.
Hoping supply chain issues get worked out soon.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2022, 03:32:52 PM »
Hey petescoffee....

Unless you drive stupid and slip the clutch too much, any of those clutch discs will go the miles. :thumbs:

If you get a pressure plate with higher than factory stock PSI, you’d better have an extra clutch slave cylinder as a spare. :biggthumpup:

The guys I knew that installed a heavy-duty rooty-tooty clutch kit, like the Centerforce Dual Friction - with an advertised “90 percent increase in holding capacity over stock”, ended up blowing out their clutch slave cylinder.  They also discovered they are way too grabby for rockcrawling. :disturbed:

All the years I wheeled my 85 22R 5-speed shortbed, I never had a clutch go out.  I did replace the clutch disc and pressure plate every time I dropped the tranny - just wasn't worth having to drop the tranny again in a year or two. :yesnod:

I ran my 85 22R shortbed in the Glamis sand dunes 3 or 4 times.  And I did the cross-country Sonora Mexico trip through the giant sand dunes, coming out to the beach about 90 miles below Rocky Point about 4 times. :yesnod:

I’ve seen guys smoke a clutch in the sand dunes in about 5 minutes…. They didn’t know how to drive in the sand dunes. :thumbdown:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
 :eye: :eye:

petescoffee [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2022, 07:10:48 PM »
Nothing crazy with this particular truck

Hope to have running in a few weeks

Need to reassemble the motor and reinstall