Author Topic: '88 SAS Driveshaft Questions  (Read 904 times)

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
'88 SAS Driveshaft Questions
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:06:01 PM »
Hey All! I know this topic has been beaten to death but here we go...

Im finally in the home stretch of a long build. Started with an '84 with 26k miles that was rolled in 85 and sat ever since. Now into an '88 that will be going under the knife to be SAS'd. Anyway...

I have a 6.5" All-Pro lift to put in (pre Trail Gear) in as well as a fully built dual ultimate. The '88 is an Xtra Cab. I just want to make sure I have everything in order so there will be no delay once that SAS is done since I wont be able to even order anything until I can take final measurements.

Front: The front axle has a spooled 5.29 (non hi-pinion), since I have dual cases I understand this should be ok, as usually a hi-pinion would be needed most likely with that much lift and no dual cases. Front shaft should be a CV shaft as well correct?

Rear: Does the rear axle need its spring perches cut and welded back on with the pinion pointed at the t-case output? Or is that only in certain circumstances? CV Shaft? Since its and Xtra Cab I should still have decent length rear shaft even with a dual case. Should I make any provisions to move it further back or forward? The rear frame has been shortened just to before the last factory cross member with a 3"x3" box steel to finish the frame (slipped perfectly into the C-Channel). I was planning on welding the rear axle rear spring hangers onto this vertically (I believe Marlin did this to one of their trucks) and put the rear axle front hanger where it needs to be for the proper shackle angle.

The goal of this build will be to be on the very edge of still being streetable but very trail capable.

Am I completely off base? Any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:59:13 PM by Dr Phat »

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: '88 SAS Driveshaft Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 12:29:20 AM »
Yeah, CV front. Rotate the rear to point at the tcase output, and also run a CV in the rear.

NO issue with mounting the hangers vertical. Since this is your fixed point tack the rear hangers on, then hang the spring and put the vehicle weight on them. You want the rear shackle just past vertical. that will tell you where the front hanger needs to go. With that much lift, you will want as much wheel base as you can get.
If you see it, its for sale.

Dr Phat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: '88 SAS Driveshaft Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 12:41:52 AM »
Thank you! That's what I gathered would be the best way to go about it. I just wanted to make sure I understood everything correctly. Nothing that hasnt been said or done before with these trucks anymore. Just waiting on the truck to get back from a friends shop, I have two sheets of stainless diamond plate being cut on a CNC table to finish the tube bed. Making a similar reproduction of the kit All-Pro use to sell.