Author Topic: So I went and got a project  (Read 493 times)

HeroClass

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So I went and got a project
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »
1984 4runner, gutting the interior and having the 22r rebuilt.  I've never done anything like this, so wish me luck!  Interior parts are really hard to find in the area, so had the idea of fabricating a drop in bed liner for the rear panels, seat backs, and tail gate.  Has anyone seen this done or done this before?  Would I be better off using metal sheets?  Let me know what you think and thank you in advance!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: So I went and got a project
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »
Have yet to see it done, but a truck bed liner might work, just section out the front portion for it to fit if you want a something up against the back seat.

Most use aluminum or wood to redo the the side panels.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/1st-gen-4runner-cargo-panels-224021/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/replacement-interior-panels-1st-gen.451594/

If your original panels are intact but cracked/damaged, you can repair them using fiberglass and bondo, that is what I did to repair the x-cab panels in an '84 I restored a few yrs ago.  Used the fiberglass to reinforce the back side, and reform the areas that had pieces missing, the bondo/sand the front side to refinish.

Depending on your planned use, you could also do something like the "carpet kits" that used to be popular in trucks.  I usually build them with a tool box in one side.

You could also have them sprayed in Line-X.

Whatever you go with, would suggest lining the rear body with some sound deadening material to quiet things down, or insulation if you might use it for camping in.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

HeroClass [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
I've seen all of these materials done and they look great!  I just had a crazy idea with the plastic bed liner and wanted to hear what the more experienced restoration experts had to say.  From what I have gathered so far, the plastic bed liner is a pita to cut but might still be an option.  Thanks for the pics and input!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
If you mean cutting down a bed liner, just use a die grinder or 4"grinder w/a cut-off wheel, tape the area that needs to be cut so you can draw a line on the tape, the liner cuts pretty easy, just have to deal with plastic debris and fumes, so wear a dust mask.

Another option for a drop in liner would be to fabricate your own liner using light weight sheet metal or aluminum and rivet/glue it together, than have it sprayed w/Line-X to make it durable, might even be be able to use something light posterboard and have both sides sprayed.  When a buddy owned a Line-X shop he sprayed all kinds of stuff with it from empty soda cans to powdered doughnuts, whatever it was sprayed on damn near made it indestructible.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod