Author Topic: CB Questions  (Read 2031 times)

NotPossible907

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 261
  • Member since Sep '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
CB Questions
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »
So I get home here on Wednesday and want to build a center console for my '80. While I'm doing that, I want to move my radio and CB. I've got 3 hopefully basic questions about CB mounting.
1) Can they be mounted vertically with no issues? (End over end, so the faceplate points to the roof)
2) Currently, I have it wired straight into the battery. I broadcast a horrible alternator drone when I key the mic. Is there something I can use to "clean" the power up to the CB to get rid of this, or is this a bad ground plane? The antenna is mounted on the bedrail.
3) Any tips for making a CB water resistant? Up here in Alaska we have a lot of deep water crossings on the trails. On 35s with 30 inches from body bottom to the ground, it's not uncommon for me to have water up to the bottom of the seat. I have a Uniden Bearcat. Used it in Washington and loved it, but in my '81 just had it mounted to the glovebox door. I would like to keep this cab a little more organized than my high school truck. I was thinking since it has a metal case, just putting a bead of silicone around seams.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: CB Questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
1) Can they be mounted vertically with no issues? (End over end, so the faceplate points to the roof)
The CB can be mounted in any position that works for you.

2) Currently, I have it wired straight into the battery. I broadcast a horrible alternator drone when I key the mic. Is there something I can use to "clean" the power up to the CB to get rid of this, or is this a bad ground plane? The antenna is mounted on the bedrail.
Try grounding the CB antenna mount to the frame, there is a rubber pad between the bed mounts so the only real contact between the bed and the frame.  If that doesn't do the trick you could try a noise filter.

3) Any tips for making a CB water resistant? Up here in Alaska we have a lot of deep water crossings on the trails. On 35s with 30 inches from body bottom to the ground, it's not uncommon for me to have water up to the bottom of the seat. I have a Uniden Bearcat. Used it in Washington and loved it, but in my '81 just had it mounted to the glovebox door. I would like to keep this cab a little more organized than my high school truck. I was thinking since it has a metal case, just putting a bead of silicone around seams.

Silicone will work, but you still have the speaker grill, mic port, and dials/buttons, where water could seep in. I would make the console with a bottom, or consider mounting the CB up between the seats on a bracket that comes off the back of your new center console.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:58:25 AM »
Hey NOT..

The radio is designed to be mounted flat. The design most likely has consideration for heat dissipation.  The radio will produce more heat while transmitting than receiving.  Mounting it in any position probably won’t be an issue as long as there is sufficient air space around it.

Regarding the noise.  I spent many hours trying to eliminate EMI and spark noise from my engine on my 1985 standard cab.  I ran a 10 gauge wire from the frame to the bed to make sure it was ground because my antenna was mounted in the bed right behind the backglass slider.

I ran CB coax from the radio to the battery.  I split the metal shielding and connected that to my ground directly to the battery terminal.  I connected the stranded center wire to the positive terminal on the battery.  That eliminated a lot of noise.  I also installed a cheap Radio Shack band pass filter on the ground lead at the radio.  If I were to do it again, I’d buy this:

https://radioworld.ca/wor-nf20

Regarding water proofing, I don’t think you can get it water proofed enough with anything like a sealer.  If I had to kluge one together I’d look at something like a water proof electrical box, then drill a tight fitting hole for the mike cord, and silicone it.  The mike would have to be mounted high up and maybe wrapped in a plastic baggy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-4-in-x-4-in-x-2-in-PVC-Junction-Box-E989NNJ-CAR/100404097

They come in different sizes.

If I were really concerned about using my CB and possibly getting it wet, I’d buy one of these:

https://www.superwarehouse.com/Uniden_Solara_D_UM380BK_-_Class_D_DSC_Marine_Radio/UM380BK/p/2129285?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqv776Ki4AIVlMVkCh1N8AqkEAQYAiABEgKYrvD_BwE

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2019, 06:24:15 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

NotPossible907 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:48:28 AM »
That's some great information. Thanks! When I get home, I'll look at making the console a little taller than I thought and putting a bottom in it. Realistically, it doesn't need to be 100% water proof at the top, just the sides and the bottom.
I'm going to start up a build thread when I get home, but due to P/Os my bed is off now. It's getting a trail bed here real soon and that hopefully will deal with the rubber isolator issues. I was really hoping to hear that I won't have to make a diode rectifier. I was thinking doing a basic A/C to D/C if it came down to it to try to "clean" up the power into the CB. If that's the case, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Regardless, it's nice for things to come back full circle... '81 in high school with no money to work on, went to work on heavy equipment and now I have my "almost" high school truck to do what I wanted to do to it.
I'm not against modifying the cab to get this to work right. I think down the road a dashboard is going to happen anyway. Plus thanks to the Baja 1000 this year I have a lead on some cheap Recaro seats and 5 point harnesses for when I start going crazy with this build. Going to try to get the regular belt to work with them.
Back on topic. Lights showing up today, switch panel and a marine CD radio. Shipping to Alaska takes for ever... Work on the truck for my 2 weeks off, build a parts list, order it and go to work and they show up usually the day before I do.
I do have a center console already that fits between the seats so I'll use that for base dimensions then raise the top up a couple of inches, weld the bottom and sides of the box together, silicone the seals to be double safe and call it a day. I don't plan on getting my lap wet in the truck, so that should hopefully be high enough.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:41:33 PM »
If I were really concerned about using my CB and possibly getting it wet, I’d buy one of these:

https://www.superwarehouse.com/Uniden_Solara_D_UM380BK_-_Class_D_DSC_Marine_Radio/UM380BK/p/2129285?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqv776Ki4AIVlMVkCh1N8AqkEAQYAiABEgKYrvD_BwE

Thought marine radios use the VHF band in the 156-174MHz range where CB's use HF band in the 26.9650-27.4050 MHz range.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

NotPossible907 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »
That one that he linked is VHF band, but ironically that would be a viable option up here.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein