Author Topic: **Built 22re** Need Experienced Engine Help  (Read 10725 times)

Jason E.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 317
  • Male Posts: 136
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Yeah yeah, I know I know. License and Registration
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: **Built 22re** Need Experienced Engine Help
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
Cool, problem solved. I expect a video of a pull as a form of payment :gap: :thumbs:
Hahaha absolutely!! I gotta get the 02 in and make sure i have my timing dialed. I still have to fine tune my adjustable cam gear!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

- 1989 Toyota 4runner ( 22re, Dana 44, Sterling 10.25, 4.10, Family Rig in Progress) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98687.msg1099361#msg1099361

- 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser (E-locker, Old Man Emu Lift, 33's, and Armor)

- 1996 Ford F250 7.3L powerstroke (Flat Bed, Manual, 2wd on 33,s)

- (SOLD) 1979 Toyota 1st Gen pickup 22re swap(http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94183.0)

Dippin' , Spittin' , Truck Gittin' , God lovin' son of a Motha Fucka.

When In Doubt, Throttle Out. Because in the End, Its a Yoda Thang     - Brandon Jako

R.I.P. Brandon Jako! Ill see you on the flip side!

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »
Thats awesome!  Success stories on here are typically results of the person whos asking for help actually being proactive and checking things he was given advice on.  If only everyone who asks for help was you, things would be much easier...

Gillesdetrail

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 343
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:20:30 PM »
Thats great to head. And as you said it might be running lean I started looking in that dirrection. Lone behold you were right. The AFM was not reading as I would up the throttle so It never told the ecu I was getting more air.

What Adjustable FPR would you suggest? I have direct intake supplied to my FPR currently and I dont think it likes it.

Great! Good job. I know the B&M FPR used to be popular about 10+ years ago when I installed one, It was the type where you had to remove the top of the original FPR and put on an adjustable cap, about 30$ if I remember correctly, worked good and made a big difference on my cammed/ported single cam honda, it was slower than stock before I installed it. I was too cheap for a tune!

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »
Thats awesome!  Success stories on here are typically results of the person whos asking for help actually being proactive and checking things he was given advice on.  If only everyone who asks for help was you, things would be much easier...

yeah like that one time I fixed a P0301 with plugs and wires and you told me I was shotgunning parts at it :haha:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
You were, you diagnosed it by throwing parts at it.  Good job sweet heart! I was giving you advice to make sure you weren't throwing money down the drain, next time ill ignore your problems

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
You were, you diagnosed it by throwing parts at it.  Good job sweet heart! I was giving you advice to make sure you weren't throwing money down the drain, next time ill ignore your problems

If by shotgunning parts, you mean researching the situation and then starting from the most reasonable and cheapest component, then fine I shotgunned parts at it.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
Exactly!  Dont worry, keep up that teen attitude by contradicting everything someone says.    Also, im laughing now, i get why you responded, your insecure and thought i was talking about you.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »
If by shotgunning parts, you mean researching the situation and then starting from the most reasonable and cheapest component, then fine I shotgunned parts at it.

Exactly!  Dont worry, keep up that teen attitude by contradicting everything someone says.    Also, im laughing now, i get why you responded, your insecure and thought i was talking about you.

Come on now. This is the exact reason people dont want to come to forums anymore. I got Information for both of y'all that helped in its own way. So throwing dig's at eachother on my post is just a waist of time. Give eachother your number and hash it out. If not lets just build some fun sh** and bash some boulders!  :thumbs:
- 1989 Toyota 4runner ( 22re, Dana 44, Sterling 10.25, 4.10, Family Rig in Progress) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98687.msg1099361#msg1099361

- (SOLD) 1979 Toyota 1st Gen pickup 22re swap(http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94183.0)

When In Doubt, Throttle Out. Because in the End, Its a Yoda Thang     - Brandon Jako

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:51:40 PM »
Great! Good job. I know the B&M FPR used to be popular about 10+ years ago when I installed one, It was the type where you had to remove the top of the original FPR and put on an adjustable cap, about 30$ if I remember correctly, worked good and made a big difference on my cammed/ported single cam honda, it was slower than stock before I installed it. I was too cheap for a tune!

Thank you for that, Im currently searching for something that will work for my truck. Everything I find if electronic fuel programmers that are over complicated and useless in non turbo applications. Im gonna throw a few links down and see what I find, Do you know of anyone or any build threads that have built engines like mine? Not stroker race engines but high compression/built builds?

Thanks in advance for all your help brotha :_order:

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:54:15 PM »

Is this the style FPR your talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/i/163333334465?chn=ps

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:39:17 PM »
I took it out for a test drive and it did great aside from when im in a hard load (1st gear with 4.10R&P on full widths ) I noticed it running a little lean still but thats understandable. No 02 sensor. So as I started with I wanted to guys to throw ideas at me and it worked flawlessly. THANK YOUUU!!

With that said Ill update when I get my sensor in and ill be sure too look into option for better tuning. I will be running LCE's Adjustable A/F dial with a Bosch sensor. If anyone has info on a Mechanical Afjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator better then Back Shelf Napa in line ones im ALL EARS!

W/o getting a signal from the O2 the ecu will/should run the engine at the richest end of its range. 

With the mods you have, have you adjusted the AFM to allow the ecu to run a richer base setting?

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/afm/
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:48:24 AM »

Come on now. This is the exact reason people dont want to come to forums anymore. I got Information for both of y'all that helped in its own way. So throwing dig's at eachother on my post is just a waist of time. Give eachother your number and hash it out. If not lets just build some fun sh** and bash some boulders!  :thumbs:

you are dead right and NEVER was there so much needless bs until 300k and his dad hit the scene. they know SOME stuff but act like they know it all.
it's a very tired act.
CB

Gillesdetrail

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 343
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »

Is this the style FPR your talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/i/163333334465?chn=ps

Yes that was the one. It worked well, however that was on a multi point fuel injection obd1 honda with a MAP sensor instead of a MAF with sequential fuel injection and less advanced computer (22re) so I don't know what the outcome will be, I suggest you do research on that, but at that price, worth a try if you have a wideband gauge before playing with the maf.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2019, 12:22:32 AM »
this guy (Jeff)has some good info on trying to adjust the 22ret to accept changes to engine mods. A lot of it applies to the 22re as well. https://people.well.com/user/mosk/welcome.htm

That is a awesome write-up. I just got the radiator pulled and coolant drained. Tomorrow ill be degreeing my Camshaft. Ill post updates.

Yes that was the one. It worked well, however that was on a multi point fuel injection obd1 honda with a MAP sensor instead of a MAF with sequential fuel injection and less advanced computer (22re) so I don't know what the outcome will be, I suggest you do research on that, but at that price, worth a try if you have a wideband gauge before playing with the maf.

:outtahere:

I think I can run a mechanical FPR as long as its vacuum controlled. I seen a few options but havent set my mind yet. Im honestly getting pretty close to converting it to a MAP sensor to bypass the AFM. It would make light tuning and easier fuel control from what Ive seen. Still just ideas. I will keep everything updated :_order:

187unlimited

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 18, 2019, 07:36:44 AM »
Thats what sucks about OEM Toyota ECUs. they are locked down tight. I think that after all those changes to the engine that the computer is probably having difficulty trying to get the OEM parameters back in check. I would try to single out the obvious first like timing, Fuel, Check for vacuum leaks etc. Then install a simple wideband and see what it says. Get the engine broke in, re-check valve lash, considering that the head was probably decked that would mean it sits closer to the block therefore cam geometry/timing has changed slightly. anyways those are the obvious details. hope some of it helps. Good luck. it looks like a decent build. those engines are tough. it might out live you now haha.

RASALIBRE

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 198
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jun 12, 2019, 05:18:00 PM »
Any updates with this build?

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 12, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
First time reading this thread. If you have .026" piston protrusion and using a .040" gasket it only gives a .014" piston to head clearance. Makes me a tad bit nervous. Should be at least .030" on a decent build.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 09:18:32 PM by sirdeuce »
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.