Author Topic: Please offer advice on what to look for: junkyard 8" axles  (Read 2275 times)

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
Hello once again, everyone! I have a build thread here for this little beast, a Daihatsu Rocky. I have a little minor news to report, but that's for that thread. This was my New Year's Eve:

It's all my fault, I was dumb, and so much more. However, this allowed me to see I have some things to fix. I'm already working out the suspension problems, and have a few different solutions. Just figuring out price.

But this is Marlin! I've finally decided to go to the dark side and swap that rear axle for a Toyota 8 inch. I would love to get a locker, a good e-brake, rear discs, and so on. What's even better is that this pick and pull that has been closed for what seems like ever is reopening, and I kinda know them, and they let me stomp around for a day, and I could only get through half of it. In the half, though, a bunch of good stuff. Two V6 8-inch axles (both 1989s, a 4 Runner and an Xtracab) and a 4-cyl 8 inch (4x4 short bed, also a 1989). Also, the short bed has a 22RE that looks like it's complete, and I feel like I should grab it for when the Rocky's engine finally grenades.

So, first, can anyone suggest what I should be looking for, or what I should avoid when I decide which one to grab? Did any of these come stock with rear discs? Rear lockers?

Second, I looked here at Marlin and didn't see a disc brake conversion kit if I find a "good" one that doesn't have discs?

This is all new to me and any advice you can give would be great. It's more than I know now.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
I'm not too sure if any came with rear discs, but if they did I think the ones with discs would be the really wide late model stuff.

Erik at 4x4Wire has a good listing for widths. If you don't want a super wide axle I'd stick to the early stuff. maybe the IFS width stuff.

'79-85 front axle~ 55.5", rear axle~ 55"
    '86-95 front IFS~ 59", rear axle~ 58.5"
    Tacoma 4x4, '96-up 4runner front IFS~ ???, rear axle- 60"
    T100 front IFS~ 65", rear axle~ 66.75"
    Tundra front/rear~ ??
    '90-97 Landcruiser FJ-80/FZJ-80 front axle~ 63.5"

Also I'm not sure how this applies, but it might be worth a look https://i.imgur.com/VBEfNS7.jpg Thanks for showing me that, OOPS.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 05:43:54 PM by 300k »
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Rocky axles are 59.5" wide, so the 1989 will be perfect. Or...close enough. I may get into the front SAS at some point, but that has now been pushed way down the road until the squatting and ineffective rear is fixed.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Rocky axles are 59.5" wide, so the 1989 will be perfect. Or...close enough. I may get into the front SAS at some point, but that has now been pushed way down the road until the squatting and ineffective rear is fixed.

Maybe these things are bigger than I am picturing haha. Yeah IFS width would work good. If you grab the rear axle out of the 89, grab the front hubs for when you do a Toyota SAS. The hubs will make the front axle match the rear axle in width. Look up "IFS hub swap" or "IFS hub conversion" and you'll see what I mean.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Hubs back to the CVs? Does that simply port over onto the "older" Toy axles? I'll have to check that out. Never heard of that.

And to give you an idea of scale, this is the day after I got stuck, after an inch of rain, and sticking more vehicles where they did not belong. That's a Polaris side by side:

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Look up "IFS hub swap" or "IFS hub conversion" and you'll see what I mean.

Whoa. That whole idea blew my mind. I will have to check that out when it's time. I don't know I can wrap my head around all that...but I can sure grab the hubs.

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4368
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
get a truck axle over a 4runner axle. way less crap to cut off.
CB

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Fair enough; I didn't think about that when seeing one had leafs, vs. coils.