Author Topic: Marlin Clutch Kit identification  (Read 1234 times)

Dparrtech

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Marlin Clutch Kit identification
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:46:03 AM »
So I need to put a new clutch in my 83 pickup 3rz->w56b->rf1a->mc07->rf1a because the previous owners  150 dollar ebay clutch kit finally gave out. I have a buddy who wants to sell me his NIB Marlin HD clutch kit, which he bought for his 3.4L Tacoma but said was incorrect and that marlin sent a 3rz clutch, or that he ordered the wrong unit.

Anyways, I have concerns about it actually being the correct clutch, so I asked him for some part numbers, which I have listed below.

Clutch pressure plate- aisin ctx-060

Clutch disk- Aisin DT-064

Clutch throwout bearing- np-50scrn

Clutch pilot bearing- 6201rs

The things that don’t add up to me: it’s not a seco clutch disk, and the clutch disk has the rubber bushings and not metal springs. Can anyone confirm if this is a 3rz clutch kit? Seems like it might actually be 22r stuff according to the part numbers I’ve seen.
1983 DLX pickup- rocking MC duals and factory air.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Marlin Clutch Kit identification
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »
So I need to put a new clutch in my 83 pickup 3rz->w56b->rf1a->mc07->rf1a because the previous owners  150 dollar ebay clutch kit finally gave out. I have a buddy who wants to sell me his NIB Marlin HD clutch kit, which he bought for his 3.4L Tacoma but said was incorrect and that marlin sent a 3rz clutch, or that he ordered the wrong unit.

Anyways, I have concerns about it actually being the correct clutch, so I asked him for some part numbers, which I have listed below.

Clutch pressure plate- aisin ctx-060

Clutch disk- Aisin DT-064

Clutch throwout bearing- np-50scrn

Clutch pilot bearing- 6201rs

The things that don’t add up to me: it’s not a seco clutch disk, and the clutch disk has the rubber bushings and not metal springs. Can anyone confirm if this is a 3rz clutch kit? Seems like it might actually be 22r stuff according to the part numbers I’ve seen.

If MC can't give you an anwer, I don't know who could?

It doesn't look like that clutch part number is spec'd for your engine - spec'd for 22R.  Different size.

I would NOT use a clutch disc with rubber bushings instead of springs... just my preference.

Here's a link for part numbers:  https://www.scribd.com/document/369465147/Aisin

Marlin offers really high quality parts, depending on your application, a heavy duty clutch kit may be over kill.. more $$$.  If I installed a higher pressure plate, I would definitely install a new or heavy duty clutch slave cylinder.

Regarding brands, I've used Aisin, LUK, and M-PACT.  I like the M-PACT disc I recently installed, high quality and great price.  I have not installed a heavy duty pressure plate or sticky clutch disc, and I have never had problem with stock clutches and pressure plates.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2018, 01:32:16 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Dparrtech [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin Clutch Kit identification
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »
If MC can't give you an anwer, I don't know who could?

It doesn't look like that clutch part number is spec'd for your engine - spec'd for 22R.  Different size.

I would NOT use a clutch disc with rubber bushings instead of springs... just my preference.

Here's a link for part numbers:  https://www.scribd.com/document/369465147/Aisin

Marlin offers really high quality parts, depending on your application, a heavy duty clutch kit may be over kill.. more $$$.  If I installed a higher pressure plate, I would definitely install a new or heavy duty clutch slave cylinder.

Regarding brands, I've used Aisin, LUK, and IMPACT.  I like the IMPACT disc I recently installed, high quality and great price.  I have not installed a heavy duty pressure plate or sticky clutch disc, and I have never had problem with stock clutches and pressure plates.

Gnarls.

Thanks! I had my buddy shoot a message in to marlin, will see what they say. He just wants to eat rid of it since he has no use for it, so at parts store prices I think it’s a good buy. I ran a LUK on my last dual case truck and loved it, so if the marlin doesn’t work out I think I’ll stay that route or check out M-Pact, you’re not the first one to recommend them. Thanks for your time!
1983 DLX pickup- rocking MC duals and factory air.