Author Topic: New IFS box - Thanks Trevor  (Read 376 times)

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 460
  • Male Posts: 187
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
New IFS box - Thanks Trevor
« on: Nov 09, 2018, 03:26:03 AM »
I recently received an IFS box from MC and have a question:

Is the rebuilt box set up to position the wheel @ 12:00, meaning if I attach the steering shaft with the steering wheel straight, will I have equal amount of turns LT & RT?

I didn't get home in time to call MC on Thursday.

Any input is welcomed.
'02 Prerunner, ARB F/R w/5.29's, 4WU 3 link, Diamonds F/R, Fox shocks F/R, Shrockworks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S, Inchworm Lefty, Deaver 8 pack, self made sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

gnob

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 394
  • Member since May '02
Re: New IFS box - Thanks Trevor
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:49:31 AM »
Center the box. Then attach steering shaft.
hold this. . .

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:29:18 AM »
Will do... just wanted clarification as to whether or not it was set during the rebuild.

Thanks for the reply.
'02 Prerunner, ARB F/R w/5.29's, 4WU 3 link, Diamonds F/R, Fox shocks F/R, Shrockworks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S, Inchworm Lefty, Deaver 8 pack, self made sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
Just an up-date:
So I installed the box on Saturday. Doing this enabled me to spend time shortening up the winch cabling and PS lines. They no longer enter/ exit the DS wheel well. Now all are through the core support and looks really clean.
The new box has a shorter turning radius which I thought all were the same. Add to that, there is not a bleeder port on top of the new box as the old had one.
And yes, the box was centered but as suggested, I verified and all turned out well.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »
Update:
The steering is great and feels solid for the 1st time in more than 2.5 years.
I did get an occasional DS wheel hop after running over uneven pavement or bumps in the road. I am happy to say that the installation of a FOX steering stabilizer cured the issue.
No longer do I need to be up on the wheel ready to combat the wandering that resulted from driving on our crappy roads here in San Diego.

Slabzilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 929
  • Male Posts: 387
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
My Marlin box was centered, as I'm sure they all are, but left mine loose for the first "right-left" test.  Happy as a clam with my PS box and High-steer, Great Mod. Thanks again, Marlin and Crew.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, 4.10's, 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders