Author Topic: Do the Heavy Duty output shafts ruin the stock gears?  (Read 1905 times)

ADVLion

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
Do the Heavy Duty output shafts ruin the stock gears?
« on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:37:25 PM »
I've been slowly piecing together a dual case :yumyum: with the Marlin adapter of course and when looking for two t-cases to mesh together I came across a 4.7 gear set in one but they turned out to be poser gears without the 2 degree tapered teeth to keep it from popping out of gear so I sold the gear set to upgrade and then the Marlin's were sold out ...practically forever then when they did finally come back I was broke and missed the opportunity :mad: anyway in the meantime I bought front and rear HD output sets, now that I'm installing them with a XD set of 4.7's ...CAUSE THE COMPS ARE STILL SOLD OUT! (I'm not bitter :nope:) I remember a post that meshing soft and hard gears is a no-no..

here, [url]http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96535.0

to quote BigMike "...we make two different 4.70:1 gear kits: One from 8600-series material (our XD gears) and another from 4300-series material (our Competition gears). Whenever you have two gears meshing with each other, it is absolutely critical that they both have the same material properties as well as annealing process so that they have highly similar hardness, durability, and tensile and yield strengths. Otherwise the gear that is harder and more durable will rapidly wear into and destroy the gear its meshing with."

so I'm pretty sure in the front the HD Chromoly output gear is up against my stock idler gear? and in the rear case I have 8600-series steel (XD gears) up against the 4300-series HD output.. I'm not a competition crawler and I don't plan on swapping my 22R anytime soon but I am thinking long term when I upgrade to these better/stronger parts SOOooo is that a mistake for me to run the HD outputs? I couldn't find any discussions on this. anybody have experience having to replace the remaining stock gears or XD's because of excessive wear against the chromoly?

Thanks in advance!

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
 :sleeping: anybody  ::)
how fast will these wear? ..when can I expect a full front to back Chromoly or XD gear set?

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
shun the blasfemar! ..shun? :thumbdown:
back into the shadows I go. :outtahere:

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile

to quote BigMike "...we make two different 4.70:1 gear kits: One from 8600-series material (our XD gears) and another from 4300-series material (our Competition gears). Whenever you have two gears meshing with each other, it is absolutely critical that they both have the same material properties as well as annealing process so that they have highly similar hardness, durability, and tensile and yield strengths. Otherwise the gear that is harder and more durable will rapidly wear into and destroy the gear its meshing with."

Mike is correct, however thats more crucial with two gears that mesh together like the counter gear and low speed gear.  So mike was basically saying dont mix a comp low speed gear with a XD counter gear or input and vise versa.  However the outputs are heat treated ground, and hardened so it wont cause wear.  Also the type of contact is different than the gear on gear like that it would be in a 4.7 kit.  Over the many years of running these, have never seen any different wear from them. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."