Author Topic: Starting problem 22re. "The no start of Doom"  (Read 2037 times)

Delaim01

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Starting problem 22re. "The no start of Doom"
« on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
Hey everyone.  I have a big problem with my 22re and I need some help.  I am 2,000 miles plus past a rebuild on my four cylinder and everything seemed to be fine.  I did however have a power issue that I had hoped would go away after the rebuild. 
What happened was I had driven the truck, with seeming no new problems and then parked it.  The next day I tried to drive my truck, but it wouldn’t start.  The starter would work.  And the fuel pump was working but I couldn’t get spark.   I put a timing light on it to see if a signal was going to the distributer cap and I didn’t detect a signal.  I swapped out the original ignition coil but no change.  I took out the ignition control module but no one in my area can test it.  So, now I have to turn to you fine people. 

Clearly I need help. 

My problems could be
1.   Distributor pickup coil
2.   Bad ignition control module
3.   Bad ECU
4.   Or maybe a bad knock sensor (so I’m told, but I don’t know much about this little thing)

Some back ground…

Before the rebuild I would have a power problem with load on the gas pedal.  It would idle fine, but when I put my foot in it the engine would bog down.  ( I thought that this could be an EGR issue, so I removed it during the rebuild)  I  also thought that this could be a fuel issue so I replaced the fuel filter and the pump.  I also thought that I could have a piston ring issue, but replaced those during the rebuild and no change. 

After the rebuild I didn’t detect a change in my power problem.  Its still the same. Before it died recently it would idle fine but when I hammer on the gas it would bog down and when I finessed the gas like an angle kissing a dove it would slowly gain power and then hold any speed I want.  Another issue that was weird is that (in third especially) the power would slowly gain during load but would almost shift gears and then fire perfectly so that the same foot effort on the gas pedal would cause the engine to run AMAZINGLY. 

To me this is a timing issue that has started annoying, went bad, and now is the worst.  I’m hoping that this is just a single part that is bad, like an pickup coil($) or an ignition control module ($$)  or an ECU ($$$).  At this point I just want the problem solved. 

So, I need help.      And the part if you guys have one lying around.  NAPA has not been nice to me with prices, nor will they let me buy and swap as I isolate the problem. 

Thanks everyonel. 

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Starting problem 22re. "The no start of Doom"
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:41:33 AM »
What year?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »
You can test the ignitor and the distributor coil with a multimeter following the FSM. I don't remember how but I remember it's in there. I went through a similar thing with a 22R that just suddenly died, and it was a bad ignitor.

It sounds to me like possibly a bad ECU. That's a free diagnosis over an internet forum, so probably worth about half of what you paid for it.

Good luck!

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
I have a 88 FSM. This is why I'm asking what year
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
You probably have a bad pickup in the distributor
hold this. . .