Author Topic: AZ Rockit: 85 4Runner 3rz R151F Dual MC cases 244:1 37s  (Read 13172 times)

AZ Rockit

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2955
  • Male Posts: 95
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
And we are still developing a network of people to wheel with. People are far and few between and not everyone shares our vision of rock crawling which is get off pavement but NOT damage our truck by sliding into trees and other obstacles.

One guy wanted to do extreme hills until his links broke. Haven't heard from him again. Not into rolling down extreme hills...
82 Long bed, 22r with 83 celica EFI, 31s
84 Xtra cab, 22r, Chevy springs, 31s
85 4Runner, 3rz, R151F, 244:1, 37s
85 Long bed, 22re Performance Stage 2 engine, 32s
85 Short bed, 22r
89 4Runner on a 94 truck chassis, just a roller (Montana Runner)

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Red is in the shop having her valve clearances adjusted. All exhaust clearances were .002 to .004 too tight. Glad we took her in for a doctor's visit.

Should have our girl back on Friday.
85 Short bed, 22r

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
So Hard Core Overlander? LOL

Yeah cause trucks look so good after you slide them into a tree a few times...well, you know what I'm talking about, don't you?
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Red is in the shop having her valve clearances adjusted. All exhaust clearances were .002 to .004 too tight. Glad we took her in for a doctor's visit.

Should have our girl back on Friday.

On some girls, tight is a good thing... but not on your girl's exhaust valves!!  :yikes:

Gnarls.  :disturbed:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Honest question. Do You guys only have two or three trails around You? Seems like all I hear are the same trails over and over.

Bgen... there are probably 40 to 50 4-wheel drive trails within a 50 to 60 mile radius of where they live.  The Gap is about 5 minutes from their home, so it's convenient I assume.  Charouleau Gap, back in my day, was basically a short day trip. It was mostly a bumpy dirt road with a few rocky washouts, a 1 foot deep creek crossing.  It was considered an easy trail for most wheelers.  The trails here in AZ can and do change after a big rain.  It's not unusual for a 2 rated trail to become a 4 rated trail after one winter of heavy rains.

I have not been on the "gap" for many years so, it's probably a little more difficult now.

http://azoffroading.com/arizona-trails/charouleau-gap/

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2018, 11:06:31 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Bgen... there are probably 40 to 50 4-wheel drive trails within a 50 to 60 mile radius of where they live.  The Gap is about 5 minutes from their home, so it's convenient I assume.

Very true. Not many of those 40 to 50 are much harder than the Charouleau gap, however. Yes there's 20 or so really gnarly trails like Asylum (one of the toughest in the country), Bad Medicine, Overdose, Miner's Revenge, and the list goes on. As an Undertaker said (You know, these guys?) "Our terrain is very different. The good trails in AZ don't have optional lines. The canyons get so tight, that a breakage can cause an all day, 2, 3, 4 day recovery, or more. We keep stuff on the hush hush because we have nothing to gain, and everything to lose." There's so much more gnarlier :pokinit: that not only isn't posted on 4x4 website or something, it's not even recorded or posted at all on the open internet. (EDIT : and that's true for every other state really)

This isn't really directed at you gnarls, more so at the buttheads on here that think Rubicon and Fordyce are the worst trails on the Earth :rofl2:

Charouleau Gap, back in my day, was basically a short day trip. It was mostly a bumpy dirt road with a few rocky washouts, a 1 foot deep creek crossing.  It was considered an easy trail for most wheelers.

Yeah yeah, back in your day  ::)

I don't think you'll find any website than lists the Charouleau gap as an easy trail. That being said, it's as easy as you want to make it. I got my crappy stock truck through there, and there was stuff Red couldn't get up. There's lots of hidden obstacles and bypasses.

You can do mild to wild, and you'll find near stock rigs to highly modified 4x4 on the trail.

That being said, even the most bling rigs can find themselves in a bad situation

The occasional old, slow, british piece of :pokinit: can run into some trouble too :gap:

The trails here in AZ can and do change after a big rain.  It's not unusual for a 2 rated trail to become a 4 rated trail after one winter of heavy rains.

I have not been on the "gap" for many years so, it's probably a little more difficult now.

Very true. The local 4x4 club hasn't been maintaining the trail much past the top of the gap, and they haven't been filling in kiss rock very often. It's become pretty neglected and overgrown, which only means more fun  :circle:  Here's a FourWheelerNetwork snippit about the Arizona trails

"Every year, the desert weather can make each trail just a bit different from the previous year. Here, the seasonal rains fall onto the desert soil until the ground is saturated, then the surface water starts to flow toward the nearest wash. This cumulative water flow surges and carves the sand and rock wash bottoms, letting nature rearrange the roads and the trails."

So Gnarls, if you think it's only a little more difficult since you ran it in the 80s or 90s, how about you come with us on the next run :haha:

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
We aren't dumb enough to wheel stuff that destroys a good truck...bestgen doesn't have a good truck, so he wouldn't know or care...Trail Gear Chris

Well it was a nicer truck before he let some blind dude spot him into the optional "tree lines" :greengrin:

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Took the AZ Rockit in for valve lash adjustment. We are assuming the 3rz motor has between 60-80K miles on it.

Tolerance is .006 to .010 Intake and .010 to .014 Exhaust

Before:

Intake:  1) .0055/.0065 2) .007/.007 3) .007/.006 4) .006/.005

Exhaust: 1).007/.006 2) .006/.006 3) .0075/.0075 4) .006/.008

After:

Intake:1) .007 2) .006 3) .007 4) .007 5) .007 6) .006 7) .006 8) .006

Exhaust: 1) .012 2) .012 3) .012 4) .012 5) .012 6) .013 7) .012 8) .014

Parts required:

Valve Cover Gasket Set (VS50512R)
Spark Plug Tube Seal Kit (ES72105)
28MM Valve Shim x 2 (13753-74070)
28MM Valve Adjustment Shim x 4 (13753-74090)
28MM Valve Adjustment Shim x 4 (13753-74110)

300K drove her home and said she needs a 6th gear or 4.88 gears. Pulling up hills in 5th gear now. So she has new OE spark plugs and wires, R151F transmission with MC Dual Ultimate 2.28 and 4.70 transfer cases (again Zippo masterpiece), and the valve lash adjustment.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2018, 12:52:49 PM by AZ Rockit »
85 Short bed, 22r

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
fel-pro?    :crazy:

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!

Meant to tell him Toyota parts only... :hammerhead:
85 Short bed, 22r

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

Does that mean you don't like Fel-Pro products?  ???

How many Fel-Pro gaskets or other Fel-Pro products have you purchased or used in the last 5 years?  :shake:

Just curious.  :inthedark:

Gnarls. :spin:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Very true.
So Gnarls, if you think it's only a little more difficult since you ran it in the 80s or 90s, how about you come with us on the next run :haha:

Yeah, yeah... The yellow Jeep shot is obviously a fake dummy shot... the driver is on a stupid line.

On 5+ trails and 1+ trails I've seen stock to $50K buggies all make it to the end of the trail.  How did that happen?   

A good experienced driver can make a stock vehicle look really capable.

A bad driver can make a $50K buggy look really not-capable.

On a tough trail, a smart and experienced spotter can make or break the look, feel, and success of negotiating the obstacle.

I have watched many times a basically stock, slightly modified vehicle right in front of me drive over obstacles with relative ease.  Yet, the set-up and highly modified vehicle behind me, being driven by a very experienced drive, had trouble..... slip'n & slid'n, wang'n & bang'n, thrash'n & bash'n!! He didn't have his tires air'd down.... OMG!!.. What part of rock crawling did he not get? Or... he could have just wanted to make the trail more challenging?

As I stated, the Gap is probably more difficult now due to weather.  Of course the opposite is true... I've been on runs where we actually opened a trail.  Within several months of it's location being exposed, people threw rocks in the tough spots... changing the obstacle from a 5 to 3!... happened all the time.

Regarding me and 4-wheeling, doing it knowing damage and breakage is going to happen.... I'm done.  Been there, did that for a long time.  Had more fun doing it than I deserved.  So... you most likely will only see, would be extremely rare, me on a trail riding shot-gun.

My current 1986 Xtra Cab is going to stay being a mostly stock daily driver, on-highway vehicle, with possibly an occasional camping trip into mild off-road trails.

If I got an invite, I might consider driving down to Oracle and ride shot-gun in your "super-duper-pooper-heavy-duty-rooty-tooty-ticky-tacky-poo-poo-nanny-get-down on it-jump back jack" Gap Killer!!

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2018, 04:26:24 AM by Gnarly4X »

rapier46

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 221
  • Male Posts: 249
  • Member since Sep '10
  • Granite Guru
    • View Profile
Perfect.

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
On January 1st 2019 we were blessed with snow in Tucson. Weather reports stated first time in 4 years. We woke up with a dusting at 3500 feet. Weather report stated could be as much as 20 inches or more above 7000 feet. 300K was behind the wheel. This road is about 20 miles from us.

Decided to head to Oracle, AZ to drive the primitive road to Mt. Lemmon. Looking back towards Pusch Ridge.

Panoramic View.

Off pavement and heading up the mountain. Did not see any other vehicles on the way up. Just a couple ATVs.

We arrived at the first gate. A couple trucks were playing in the snow about 200 yards before the gate and did not know the combination. We were lucky enough to have acquired the combination a year earlier while driving up this road during deer archery season. We had aired down to about 9 psi earlier. After this gate, the snow was fresh, virgin powder.

Some tread heavily people decided to ruin access for people with capable vehicles by drilling the lock with no success. Luckily using a punch we were able to open the lock and gate. That gate is much heavier than it looks.

On the other side.

Typical AZ mountain signs.

Virgin snow.

Snow is about 5-6 inches here. Of course, the snow depth varies from valley to valley along the trail. We found some spots over 12 inches but less than 12 inches further up the mountain.

We did see deer on the way up and down. The deer were huddled in the snow trying to stay warm. All does, not bucks. Would have guessed the rut is still on. Maybe not.

Continuing on to the next gate.

At the second gate.

Probably could have gone around that gate but then we would have probably run into the popo asking how we got onto the mountain when all the roads are closed. So we headed back down the hill.

Arrived in Oracle, AZ and decided to wash the truck. Lots of mud spray on the road following the snow melt. The change machine was giving away $20 bills.

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2019, 11:53:59 PM by AZ Rockit »
85 Short bed, 22r

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
"Earth is Flat" Welcome to Oracle, Arizona! :thumbs: :rofl2:

By the way, that gate is stupid heavy. It's got a main bar made of 1/4 inch square tube that's probably 20 feet long, and then it has bracing made of the same stuff. That wouldn't be an issue but it drops about 6 inches once you get it off the latch. It's a two man job to lock the gate back up.

:muscles:
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 12:02:36 AM by 300k »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Wow... I'm surprised you guys got so much snow!... pretty rare site.  :phone:

I love the photo documentary!!  Great job!!  :beerchug:

I made a snow run practically every year. Usually up on the Mogollon Rim.  I found airing down to 4 lbs was the best traction on snow.  There was always lots of drama on our snow runs.  We spent most of the time getting vechicles unstuck... lots fun.  One year I put chains on all four tires.  The 2nd best part of the trip was the dinner in the very warm cafe before heading down the mountain!  :gap:

Gnarls.  :spin:

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Nice snow run and nice photos, though it looks like you didn't quite get your promised 20".

Chains are wonderful for dealing with snow, you just put the truck in in low range and let'er dig. When we're working in the back woods in snowy conditions, my truck with 4 chains is the only one that regularly goes where we need with no fuss and no drama. Someday I will get the technology for airing down and compare.

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Nice snow run and nice photos, though it looks like you didn't quite get your promised 20".

Chains are wonderful for dealing with snow, you just put the truck in in low range and let'er dig. When we're working in the back woods in snowy conditions, my truck with 4 chains is the only one that regularly goes where we need with no fuss and no drama. Someday I will get the technology for airing down and compare.

We didn't ascend to 7000 feet. Second gate stopped us. We saw about 18 inches in places and, again, snow depth was not consistently deeper as we ascended. But I'm assuming we might have seen 24 inches had the second gate been open. It was open a year ago but no snow a year ago.
85 Short bed, 22r

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Wow... I'm surprised you guys got so much snow!... pretty rare site.  :phone:

I love the photo documentary!!  Great job!!  :beerchug:

I made a snow run practically every year. Usually up on the Mogollon Rim.  I found airing down to 4 lbs was the best traction on snow.  There was always lots of drama on our snow runs.  We spent most of the time getting vechicles unstuck... lots fun.  One year I put chains on all four tires.  The 2nd best part of the trip was the dinner in the very warm cafe before heading down the mountain!  :gap:

Gnarls.  :spin:

Yeah, I guess we aired down to 8 psi according to 300K. Spoke to ZUK (gearinstalls.com) yesterday. He said he did a Moab snow run in his SuZUKi Samarai years ago and had to air down to to 1.5 on 32's in the early 90's. He said the jeeps had 37s back then but the Toyota people were running large tires at 32.
85 Short bed, 22r

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looks like a fun trip.  I'm glad you aired down.  That 4Runner has been in nearly hood deep snow, I think, it's experienced.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Yeah man!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Looks like a fun trip.  I'm glad you aired down.  That 4Runner has been in nearly hood deep snow, I think, it's experienced.

We were watching old red snow videos yesterday. Favorite one was passing the wheeling buddy NOT....hahaha
85 Short bed, 22r

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Yeah man!

Highlight of the day was the 50 jeeps marching up the mountain 2 hours too late...as we were coming down. We didn't give them the gate combo...they weren't happy but they are typically aloof and look down on my 33 year old truck...so we left them at the gate and drove away. I know, not nice.
85 Short bed, 22r

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Highlight of the day was the 50 jeeps marching up the mountain 2 hours too late...as we were coming down. We didn't give them the gate combo...they weren't happy but they are typically aloof and look down on my 33 year old truck...so we left them at the gate and drove away. I know, not nice.

Oh yeah.... you were bad!.... I would have definitely enjoyed letting them through the gate and into the snow to get stuck and all that goes with that fun!!  You missed your opportunity to share the fun! LOL.  There were times on a trip when we encountered a locked gate, someone would have a pad lock and a big bolt cutter.  We'd cut the lock... on our way out, we'd lock it with a pad lock.... don't know how the next person got into the gate!!  We be bad!

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2019, 05:30:33 AM by Gnarly4X »

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
We did see deer on the way up and down. The deer were huddled in the snow trying to stay warm. All does, not bucks. Would have guessed the rut is still on. Maybe not.

Yeah, those were the smart does  :gap:

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
DRIVERS DOOR WINDOW GUIDE REPAIR

During the wheeling trip with ZUK, the drivers side window guide broke. Good excuse for 300K to practice welding with the Miller 211 we picked up new for under $1000 during the September 2018 rebate sale.

Disassembled the door and found this.

We were practicing with .030" wire. Changed to .024" wire for this job. Got 20% off with the broken spool. Performed some cleanup to remove paint and rust.

85 Short bed, 22r

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Very nice photo documentary.   :beerchug:

Good job at welding 18 gauge!  That's a challenge with a mig!

Gnarls.

AZ Rockit [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Tiger Mine Road

Had an urge to take a ride, so I asked 300K to do the Woodpecker Mine road. http://azoffroading.com/arizona-trails/woodpecker-mine/

I think 300K knew once we got there, I'd want to run the trail solo, so he said no. Instead we did the Tiger Mine road--no hubs locked for this trail.

Here is the photo documentary of that fun ride. Wish we had caught this a little later in the day when the sun is low and the scenic views become enhanced by shadows, but we did catch some of that.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2019, 07:17:17 AM by AZ Rockit »
85 Short bed, 22r

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Jesus You aired down for that. Here We call that a logging road. Maybe in Arizona that's hard core overland stuff.
Do that other trail You showed Me yesterday. The one that says difficult. I am starting to think Old Red has been put out to pasture?
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Jesus You aired down for that. Here We call that a logging road. Maybe in Arizona that's hard core overland stuff.
Do that other trail You showed Me yesterday. The one that says difficult. I am starting to think Old Red has been put out to pasture?

It's listed as a "primitive road". I aired down because the washboard was killer and at the end of the trail there was some high speed stuff through narrow washes, which does better at lower PSI. I looked down and I was doing 55 in a wash about 1.5 times as wide as Red.