Author Topic: Not another 3rz swap question  (Read 2787 times)

sjelite

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
Not another 3rz swap question
« on: Jul 30, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
I have an 82 4x4 pickup; 22r (82-84 block), dual cases, w56 trans, 4:88s on 33’s and hopefully 36’s soon (36s for offroad only and driving to trail) im on the fence on if I should do the 22re swap or just go balls out and get a 3rz. I definetly want to upgrade to a fuel injected motor… the question is comparing a swap from a 22r to a 22re or 3rz. Im planning on buying the stand alone harness from ORS and purchasing the “bolt in” 3rz motormounts.  I know the 3rz is the way to go, but is it worth the extra  headace?

Big question here
Can you CA BAR CERT a JDM 3rz without knowing the specific donor vehicle?

22re swap pros:
Lots of rebuilt long blocks avaliable
Easier to pass CA BAR CERT
Lots of used options

3RZ pros:
JDM imports are cheaper than a rebuilt 22re
More HP
Cleaner setup
Updating to a newer engine

I know there is a 3rz thread  :stopit:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Not another 3rz swap question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2018, 04:04:30 AM »
Probably only slightly more trouble to do a 3RZ.  With the 22re you are still putting an efi setup in there with tons of wiring to make fit just like a 3RZ.  I would go for the 3RZ and get the most bang for your trouble.  I ran one and they are good. 

Or just go old school and stay carb :).
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
I would recommend finding a clean donor so you can get all the stuff you need and also consider swapping the entire vehicle harness, which would ultimately help the BS CA BAR.

3RZ is the way to go, especially if you have any wrenching skills whatsoever. 
hold this. . .

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
I guess my main question is the JDM engine and the referee process. One of my main issues is lack of room to drag a donor vehicle home to strip down. Im hoping to get by with a $1600 JDM and call it a day. That 3rz with the extra 40 ish+ HP will be awesome.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
the 3rz is only truly a little more work but has much bigger rewards then just going fuel injected 22r.  the ref has no idea where the motor came from vehicle or junk yard.   The big thing is just make sure everything matches for a certain vehicle if you want your life easy with the swap.  As said before is you can swing it find a complete rig rolled or crashed.  Store it at a friends or what ever.  I just picked up a complete low miles 2000 Tacoma to do my next one for $1300 and had everything plus extras to recoup the cost or buying truck.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s gentlemen

So the Ref only wants to know the donor vehicle year, so he can follow the smog diagram/requirements etc. There’s no actual VIN database etc that they look up in the system?  Awesome!
Donor vehicle is a good way to go, plus you have a visual reference for for where all the connections are supposed to be.

Thank you!

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »
The motor itself does not have a vin..  the vin would be more associated with the computer and cats.   Having a vin can make it more straight forward for the REF.  On my last Swap I had a binder with receipts, VINS, pictures, references etc..  I just handed it to the ref and he was able to put the story together of what I did and had real well.  My swap was perfect and they still screwed it up.  Had to come back 2 times and in the end the rig ened up being exactly as I took it in the first time  :)

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Instagram: toy_tek
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »
I've been working on a 3RZ swap for way too long now... because I didn't get an entire donor vehicle.  I wouldn't advise this route.

IF you don't get a donor vehicle, be prepared to either 1:  wait a long time for certain parts to show up at a reasonable price (if at all), or 2: pay out the wazoo for stuff from dealer, etc. 

NO comment on CA refs, I live in AZ.
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner
89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
IG:  toy_tek

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s gentlemen

So the Ref only wants to know the donor vehicle year, so he can follow the smog diagram/requirements etc. There’s no actual VIN database etc that they look up in the system? So i could choose a Tacoma or a T-100 and none would be the wiser as long as I used the appropriate diagrams and air box etc

Thank you

They can and will look up vins if available. The best way to look at it is.  Your rig needs to be a different vehicle.  What ever motor, computer, emissions etc all needs to match to make your life the easiest.  It is that simple.   So either buy a complete wrecked donor or pick all the parts to make your just like a certain year make model.

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:20:37 AM »
This is real good advice Pat, I greatly appreciate it. If your ever in Morgan Hill ill buy you a beer and or lunch.

The motor itself does not have a vin..  the vin would be more associated with the computer and cats.   Having a vin can make it more straight forward for the REF.  On my last Swap I had a binder with receipts, VINS, pictures, references etc..  I just handed it to the ref and he was able to put the story together of what I did and had real well.  My swap was perfect and they still screwed it up.  Had to come back 2 times and in the end the rig ened up being exactly as I took it in the first time  :)

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
Thanks Toy Tek buying parts from the stealership is no bueno

I've been working on a 3RZ swap for way too long now... because I didn't get an entire donor vehicle.  I wouldn't advise this route.

IF you don't get a donor vehicle, be prepared to either 1:  wait a long time for certain parts to show up at a reasonable price (if at all), or 2: pay out the wazoo for stuff from dealer, etc. 

NO comment on CA refs, I live in AZ.

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:24:20 AM »
So is the Tacoma setup easier to swap into a 1st gen compared to the T-100? The T-100 has a bigger air box? I have a feeling a T-100 would be much easier to find in my area.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:54:20 AM »
With all the wasted time in legislation in CA.  It might be worth finding a "friend" to help get you guys BAR bull crap fixed. 
Having to deal with :pokinit: like a 4wd or not engine is just a ridiculous conversation.  Also pointless conversation when most of the parts are the same# just in different cars.  So i guess in cali i would fail for among other things, using a camry ignitor on my tacoma 3.4.
freakin' lol
hold this. . .

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
I'm not sure if the ECU needs to be 4x4, I just didn't want to give bad advice. It would be a good idea to check on that unless someone here knows.  I'm actually surprised they let us swap motors here at all and I feel it's only a matter of time that they don't allow it at all. I have about 8 more years before I can retire and get the hell out of here.

That's the problem too,  You get one story from one ref and another from the next ref.  It is almost as if they don't all play from the same rule book.  I have first hand experience with this being told one thing then another by the next guy.    And you are 1 year ahead of me on getting out of here :)

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Where you guys heading, hard to imagine living outside "the golden state" I tried it for 2 years, didn't work out so good.

That's the problem too,  You get one story from one ref and another from the next ref.  It is almost as if they don't all play from the same rule book.  I have first hand experience with this being told one thing then another by the next guy.    And you are 1 year ahead of me on getting out of here :)

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
And the exhaust routing is another PTA, i sifted thru the 3RZ thread (all 50 pages)  but didn't find the specific requirements. Im almost tempted to relocate the gas tank to the Driver side. do you guys have any pictures of your exhaust routing? I guess it all depends on your BAR REF

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
Swilson has some great pics of his BAR certified exhaust in his thread. Go check it out.. :)