Author Topic: Install AC compressor on 22r for conversion to air compressor?  (Read 3640 times)

PeterPaul383

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 98
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Oct '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sorry if this isn't in the correct section to post this but I have been researching air compressors for my pickup and was looking into getting the ARB twin tank but discovered that you can convert an AC compressor into an air compressor. So here are my questions.
1: Can I install an AC compressor on my 22r even though it didn't come with one stock?
2: Is it worth doing this or should I just bite the bullet and spend the extra money on the ARB
3: If it is worth it, do you know of any good write-ups on how to convert an AC compressor to an air compressor? All the ones I've found either aren't very good or the pictures won't show up.
Thanks!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Yes, the block has the mount for the A/C on the passenger side of the block near the front.

You will need to set up a filter to keep the oil out of the air line, and an oiler to add oil in, as a/c comps are not self lubricating.
You can either run an oiler, or add oil each time you run it.

Fairly good write up here. 
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ac-pump-to-air-compressor-write-up.602432/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-c-compressor-to-on-board-air-writeup.586422/

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Ritchie

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
Make it easy on yourself and go with the ARB.
Simple to install and much lighter.

Good luck.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Viair would be another option, or if looking for a cheap 12vlt comp, SuperFlow holds up well enough for for their price.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

PeterPaul383 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 98
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Oct '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think I might just go with the ARB. The high output probably performs the same if not better anyway and would only cost $50-$100 more.

Ritchie

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
Good call. 
I went with the twin version.  Works well, is compact and fits under the hood nicely.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

hectortwede

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I do not recommend buying compressors in one stock because you risk getting the broken tools. Instead, it is better to purchase compressors separately and from credible sellers. I don't know many sellers of compressors, but I know that guys from https://www.airconservicing.org/type-of-aircon-service/ are the best on the market. Therefore, try to consult with them about your problem. As an amateur in ACs, I can say that getting rid of your old AC is not a good idea. As an alternative, you can sell it further or try to fix it.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2021, 11:12:35 PM by hectortwede »

Eygon

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My 22r has a relatively low-capacity AC compressor. Still, it has performed admirably in the past, even though it is hushed. The compressor will kick in if the ambient inside the vehicle is higher than expected, which could happen if there are guests in the house or if you are running the AC while washing the cars. It seems like having an appropriately sized compressor would go a long way towards making our driving experience pleasant. Anyway, in case of something, the guys from heating repair Florida quickly can repair it. A lot of my friends contacted them with similar problems and were delighted with their work.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2021, 12:30:21 AM by Eygon »

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16574
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
york compressers used to be popular fer on board air. not sure what the newest and greatest thing is now though.

RUGER :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

obrut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 171
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Dec '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
york compressers used to be popular fer on board air. not sure what the newest and greatest thing is now though.

I pulled a york compressor of a car about 20 years ago for a on board air in a jeep I had but never used it.  I just saw it the other day when I was in my attic and wondered if anyone ever mount one to a 20R or if people even use them for on board air nowadays.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16574
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=70327.0
theres other pages if you search threw marlin

didnt read whole write up but says its fer a 20R http://toyotaoffroad.com/2005/06/21/on-board-air/

:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member