Author Topic: 1983 Toyota Pickup 4x4 brake upgrade problems  (Read 4875 times)

83_P/U_4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
1983 Toyota Pickup 4x4 brake upgrade problems
« on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
Hey everyone, I recently got some new brake components for my truck. Specifically new disks for up front, new pads and what I am currently having issues with is some rebuilt 4 piston calipers (from an ifs truck) and a brake master cylinder from an FJ80. The calipers aren’t a problem I just was wondering what people did to fit them in as I hear you need wheel spacers or larger than stock wheels.

The main problem for this thread is the installing the fj80 brake master cylinder (BMC). Currently the plug in the side of the reservoir is different from the plug on the original BMC, I’m wondering if I can do the swap and not worry about the wiring? The biggest problem is that I need to bend the front brake line to meet the port on the side of the body from its original place on the top. What are some tips, tricks or suggestion that everyone has for bending it?

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 1983 Toyota Pickup 4x4 brake upgrade problems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
I ground the calipers until they didn't hit the wheels.

I never hooked up the wiring to the master and for me that isn't an issue. I don't remember there being much if any line bending required.
Time to go wheelin!

Flood

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »
You will most likely need wheel spacers to prevent your calipers from rubbing.

As far as the FJ80 master cylinders go. You can go to a junkyard most v6 3.0 3rd gen Pickups and 2nd gen 4runners will have the same master cylinder. You can find the proper hard line from a junkyard to attach to your master. You can also cut off the connectors off the donor and connect it to your current setup. I came up short a bunch of times at Pick n Pull to find the proper connector and just broke down and went to Toyota. It took some research, but I found the correct part numbers. The terminals I think are specific and my local Napa didn't have what I was looking for. For the price it was worth it instead of driving around all day looking for what I needed. I must warn that they aren't entirely cheap, but not overly expensive. It came out to 30 bills after everything. Now it looks factory and no loose plugs hanging out.

Part number : 90980-11207 is for the housing connector the actual plug that attaches to the MC
Part number : 82998-12440 You'll need 2 of these. These are the terminal wires for the connectors that attach to the housing connector.

Just cut off the old plug off your old master cylinder at the top of the reservoir and use butt connectors to attach it to the new terminal wires. Pay attention to the wire colors. On my 94' Pickup the pale yellow with solid black strip is facing up while the green wire faces the bottom of the connector when plugged into the master. Hope that helps  :beerchug:

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I hope they’ll help (I’m in the process of doing it now). I’m still working on the lines but I’ll have to bend the line so that it goes in 90 degrees from where it originally was. I might bend the line away (to the driver’s fender) then try to bend it up to meet the BMC. I’m open to suggestion because I’m afraid of closing or braking (is that a pun?) the line altogether when I bend it up (I’ll post pics later). I also discovered a my old brakes have four pistons but not the cooling fins like the rebuilt ones you can get from the off-road companies like Marlins. If anyone has any thought on what the old caliper is from that would be great but otherwise it looks like I might fit my new calipers in without any mods!! :clap:
I’ll keep this tread updated on what I find out. Thanks again! :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2018, 09:15:55 AM by 83_P/U_4x4 »

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2018, 08:01:37 AM »
You might want to find a pair of these for bending the lines.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-44150?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-lisle&gclid=CjwKCAjw4avaBRBPEiwA_ZetYhONmtMqoblLetouGzZw9d3LrzurBxS64POneyuFyndzMywAwm-p-hoC9XAQAvD_BwE

The calipers usually aren't the problem when fitting wheels. It's the steering arm that hits. You should just need to trim the backing plate slightly to fit the calipers.

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Instagram: toy_tek
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Why can you not just clip the plug off the old cap and install it on the new cap?  Thats what I'll do when i get to it. 

BTW this MC is from Low Range: TB-MC-HILUX Toyota V6 Master Cylinder, 1" Bore Pickup, Hilux $80.73

My lines were easily bent by hand to align to the new m/c. 

Did you upgrade to a dual diaphragm brake booster as well?

on my 83...
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2018, 09:47:23 AM by toy_tek »
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner
89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
IG:  toy_tek

Flood

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
Why can you not just clip the plug off the old cap and install it on the new cap?  Thats what I'll do when i get to it. 

The one he has has the plug built into the side of the master cylinder so there's no wires to cut off and connect the old style connector :D

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2018, 08:17:44 PM »
Which booster is that, so that he can make the decision to upgrade too?   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
O’reilly # BHH 53-2785, studs are long enough to work with the factory spacer.  I had to use a few washers on the outer side to tilt it away from the clutch master about 1/8”, otherwise bolts right In.
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »
I really appreciate all the help :clap:!

@Flood, exactly my BMC is the "Big Bore FJ80 Brake Master Cylinder" that Marlin Crawler sells. @jgraham I'm not sure what the dual diaphragm brake booster is so I'm gonna say no but a previous owner upgraded this a fair amount so they might have done it instead. Any idea on how I can tell?

To add another question to the mix, has anyone put Brembo brake discs on an 1979-1983 Pickup? On their page Low Range says they fit 1984-1985 but emailing one of the guys, he says that they should work/fit. It looks like it won't be a problem but I'd still like to get informed first.

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
I'm not sure what the dual diaphragm brake booster is so I'm gonna say no but a previous owner upgraded this a fair amount so they might have done it instead. Any idea on how I can tell?

The stock booster is about 8” in diameter.  The dual is about 9.5”.

I haven’t got mine on the road yet to speak from experience, but from all my research it seems upgrading to a 1” bore MC (only) will result in a very stiff pedal.  The dual diaphragm booster is needed to get a normal pedal feel.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2018, 09:43:18 AM by toy_tek »
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:32:51 AM »
Quick update!

I'm gonna delay installing the new BMC for now. I'll still try and find a connector and play around with bending lines. Any suggestion on quality tools for this?

The axle is rebuilt and installed and the disks fit perfectly, although technically the calipers don't fit perfectly. They rub ever so slightly on the outside corners so I might grind them down just to be sure that any heat expansion doesn't lead to further problems.