Author Topic: 22REC high idle. Out of Ideas  (Read 5610 times)

Tumbler510

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22REC high idle. Out of Ideas
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
I have a 1989 Toyota Pickup (Preruner) with the 22REC. I pulled the motor a few weeks ago to helicoil a broken intake bolt, and have been dialing it in ever since it was reinstalled. I want to get it running well so I can SMOG it and being the off road adventures.

Last weekend with the help of a friend, we got it running much more smoothly, but it still has some high idle issue.
Things we accomplished:
- Replaced TPS with OEM unit. Adjusted to get all readings in spec.
- Adjusted distributor all the way. Timing is still at the beginning of the timing block.
- Sprayed starter fluid at all hoses. No increased idle was observed
- Removed majority of vacuum hoses and sprayed them out to verify they are not clogged.

The truck is SMOOTHLY idling around 1,100RPM, so a few hundred higher than ideal.

Any assistance in diagnosing would be greatly appreciated!

Tumbler510 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 22REC high idle. Out of Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
That's exactly what I was going to go after next.
Hoping it fixes the issue. It's not my DD, so I don't drive it enough to get any more information about what some other symptoms may be.

I'll post in here once I get that completed.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
If the distributor is maxed out one way or the other, the chain is a tooth off or the distributor itself is.
hold this. . .

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,223
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:15:07 AM »
... 22REC. I pulled the motor a few weeks ago to helicoil a broken intake bolt....

What parts were removed and reinstalled during the removal and re-installing the engine?

Does the idle adjustment screw have any affect on idle speed?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Tumbler510 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
One of the bolts holding the thermostat cover in place was broken. The truck has full long travel suspension, so I couldn't get the upper or lower intake off without pulling the motor. Once it was out, basically the entire intake was removed. Wiring harness, fuel lines, etc.

The idle screw DOES have an effect on the idle, but it is maxed out now, and still @ ~1,100RPM

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 04:22:47 AM »

The idle screw DOES have an effect on the idle, but it is maxed out now, and still @ ~1,100RPM

Typically Idle RPM is affected by ignition timing, air intake/vacuum, fuel, and drag.

If you have verified that the distributor is installed correctly into the cam timing gear, and ignition timing is set correctly, then my guess is you have a vacuum leak or air intake issue. 

Is the little rubber o’ring on the throttle body idle adjustment screw new?  Did you remove the idle screw and make sure it’s clean?

Is the throttle linkage Idle adjustment screw correct and the butterfly in the throttle body is completely closing?

Did you verify that all vacuum hoses are all connected and not leaking?

Is the PVC valve and hose good?

You might also disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and let the ECU reset.

Let us know if you get the idle correct.  If you get the idle RPM correct, you might want to recheck the ignition timing.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
What style of IAC valve does a 89 have?   The older hot water/electric heater under the manifold or the more modern one that actually controls the idle?

The older ones will give you a high idle when they fail  (usually the electrical part).
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 03:17:16 AM »
What style of IAC valve does a 89 have?   The older hot water/electric heater under the manifold or the more modern one that actually controls the idle?

The older ones will give you a high idle when they fail  (usually the electrical part).

e,

Here's a thread you posted on...   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36294.0

The 1989 22RE:  https://22reperformance.com/intake-exhaust-vacuum/idle-air-control-valve-iac

If the IAC fails, how would it affect the idle RPM after the engine reaching normal operating temperature?

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:59:45 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:53:03 AM »
The older IAC will only partially close up the air valve with engine coolant heat.    It wouldn't really close up without the electric heating element.

The failure mode with the newer (89, which just looks like coolant temp)) and could also happen with the older is that the mechanism just gets stuck in whatever position.

Take it off and inspect.     Take it apart and clean if need be.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Tumbler510 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »
After driving it around to get it SMOG'd (frustrating story for another thread), I am fairly certain it't the timing.

Every time I was at a stop, and turned the wheel, the engine would struggle badly. It would put-put for ~10 seconds and then the RPMs would get high enough and it would start to go, and have no issues. Didn't matter if it was left or right, 1st or reverse.

I'll be fixing the timing next chance I get.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
... I am fairly certain it't the timing.  ... Every time I was at a stop, and turned the wheel, the engine would struggle badly. It would put-put for ~10 seconds and then the RPMs would get high enough and it would start to go, and have no issues. Didn't matter if it was left or right, 1st or reverse.

I'm having trouble understanding what turning the wheel has to do with "timing"... ignition or cam??  :headscratch:

Gnarls.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:12:36 PM by Gnarly4X »

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
- Adjusted distributor all the way. Timing is still at the beginning of the timing block.

When installed correctly, the distributor should be in the middle of its adjustment range at 5° before top dead center.
With your distributor maxed out, you need to set the engine to 5° before TDC, verify you are at TDC pull the distributor, and reinstall it per the manual directions.

Then fire it up and adjust the timing.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod