Author Topic: Hard shift in 1st. Believe I have bad synchro.  (Read 3293 times)

MilesGC1999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Male Posts: 114
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Hard shift in 1st. Believe I have bad synchro.
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
I was driving home last night and I got to a stoplight, went to shift into first and it would not go. So I let out the clutch a little while pushing it into first and it went. It shifts into 2nd through 5th fine as long as it has the rpm and the speed. I dont think it's the clutch sticking since the engine isnt straining in fifth gear at a standstill with the clutch to the floor.
Anyone have any other ideas on what this is? Truck only had 160 to 170k miles. It's been in my family its whole life so I know it wasn't abused.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i like cars

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Re: Hard shift in 1st. Believe I have bad synchro.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
I have driven a lot of trucks where sometimes they do not like going into 1st gear at a stop.  In those situations going into second and then 1st usually does the trick nicely.

Maybe it is synchro issues, I have only ever driven high mileage trucks, so it would not surprise me.  I’m just thinking out loud here, maybe letting the clutch out for a split second let everything line up better for it to go into gear. 

You said it only shifts through other gears if you are matching rpms?  When was the last time you have changed transmission fluid,  do you have hydraulic issues with your master or slave cylinder?

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
I have driven a lot of trucks where sometimes they do not like going into 1st gear at a stop.  In those situations going into second and then 1st usually does the trick nicely.

Maybe it is synchro issues, I have only ever driven high mileage trucks, so it would not surprise me.  I’m just thinking out loud here, maybe letting the clutch out for a split second let everything line up better for it to go into gear. 

You said it only shifts through other gears if you are matching rpms?  When was the last time you have changed transmission fluid,  do you have hydraulic issues with your master or slave cylinder?
I did the fluid maybe a year and a month ago.

I haven't bleed my master since getting the truck and changing the brake and clutch fluid. That was 2 years ago.

I just think its weird that it would be just fine yesterday morning then all of the sudden start doing this. It's also a lot louder going in gear than it was.

i like cars

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
Sounds like something came loose inside the transmission? I dunno.

I think that a bad synchro will really show when shifting 2nd-1st. I've driven a Corolla with a bad 1st gear synchro and you have to be at a standstill or do a bit of double-clutching to make it shift 2-1. I've also seen trucks that did this because the clutch needed bleeding. Remember, to spin the tranny input and make shifting hard takes very little friction, which might not be enough to bog the engine.

Can you still shift 2nd to 1st? Did you try bleeding the clutch? Maybe something in the shift linkage is wonky? I don't know. I hope some of my random ideas are useful.

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
if you have never replaced the shifter bushing and seat i would start there. cheapest (and easiest) things first
I replaced the shifter bushing and cup with marlin crawler ones about a year and a half ago.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Sounds like something came loose inside the transmission? I dunno.

I think that a bad synchro will really show when shifting 2nd-1st. I've driven a Corolla with a bad 1st gear synchro and you have to be at a standstill or do a bit of double-clutching to make it shift 2-1. I've also seen trucks that did this because the clutch needed bleeding. Remember, to spin the tranny input and make shifting hard takes very little friction, which might not be enough to bog the engine.

Can you still shift 2nd to 1st? Did you try bleeding the clutch? Maybe something in the shift linkage is wonky? I don't know. I hope some of my random ideas are useful.
I can shift 2nd to 1st easily if I am at slow speed.
I am going to bleed the clutch tonight and see if that helps.

i like cars

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »
Check the nut that holds adjustment on clutch master cylinder push rod. Maybe clutch is wearing  :dunno: time for an sdjustment
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
Another thought I had.  It can be somewhat common for the clutch pedal bracket to break.  I had to weld mine up on my old 4runner, but once it broke I had no clutch action. I wonder if yours could be flexing from an early break?

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »
I tried bleeding the clutch. No dice. Just finished taking the shifter off to look at the bushings and seat. They are still good.

I'll look at the nuts on the pushrod next, after that idk. I guess it could be the clutch going out, I hope it is just the clutch because if it's the syncros I'm gonna have to park it for a while. This is my daily driver and only car.

How long would it take a determined person to take a transmission out and rebuild it in their driveway?

If it comes down to it I might look at just taking it to a shop.

Also, I drove it today and it was fine when I first drove it after it sat all night and I bled the clutch. I went to autozone to get some brake fluid to fully bleed the system since I didnt have enough to replace all the fluid and when I got back finished bleeding it all the way, it started being hard to shift. So I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks everyone that has given their opinion and ideas so far. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »
Another thought I had.  It can be somewhat common for the clutch pedal bracket to break.  I had to weld mine up on my old 4runner, but once it broke I had no clutch action. I wonder if yours could be flexing from an early break?
I'll check that. I am pretty heavy on the pedal sometimes so this could be it.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Check the nut that holds adjustment on clutch master cylinder push rod. Maybe clutch is wearing  :dunno: time for an sdjustment
I'll check that. They are inside the cab correct?

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Ok so an update. I didnt add this in my first post because I thought i was on a hill when it happened and my mind was messing with me.

But here is a video with the truck facing up a slight gradient in a parking lot.
The truck is in neutral but when I let the clutch out it moves forward. I'm at a loss at this point. Looking like I might need to take it to a mechanic.
https://youtu.be/vFYe8SaUtG4

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Here are some pictures from last night. Everything looks fine to me.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Forgot to update.
I pulled the trans down in my driveway and took it to a local shop.
Turns out it was just a bad set of bearings. Got a Japanese OEM set and new clutch and flywheel. That fixed the problem and I haven't had any since.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

i like cars