Author Topic: Boredom = Custom seal driver  (Read 2991 times)

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Boredom = Custom seal driver
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:33:23 PM »
I got bored and made a seal driver. On r-series transmissions you have to drive the seal in from the rear which can be a pain. Also the depth on this seal is critical which also makes it a pain. This should make it much easier. The driver is made so it aligns on the front  bearing/seal holder and should make pressing or driving the seal is super easy.

If you see it, its for sale.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Boredom = Custom seal driver
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:04 AM »
Nice tool!!

The photos look like one of the few rubber/metal seals that is installed into a housing backwards – with the open side out.

I would not want to be “driving” that type of seal and concerned about damaging it.  :disturbed:

I use some simple thermodynamics.  I put the seal in the freezer for several hours and when I get ready to insert the seal, I heat the housing up, coat the outer part of the seal with a little silicone spray, and use a big socket that fits, pressing it by hand very carefully.  I use the same trick (freezing the caps) when installing bearing caps into U-joints......

....I just can’t get the drive shaft into my oven.  :shake:

Gnarls.  :gap:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:56:30 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: Boredom = Custom seal driver
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
I would not want to be “driving” that type of seal and concerned about damaging it.  :disturbed:

I use some simple thermodynamics.  I put the seal in the freezer for several hours and when I get ready to insert the seal, I heat the housing up, coat the outer part of the seal with a little silicone spray, and use a big socket that fits, pressing it by hand very carefully.  I use the same trick (freezing the caps) when installing bearing caps into U-joints......

I have never had much luck with thermal only install of rubberized seals and I also don't have a socket that fits the seal, hence why I made one. I drive or press them. This seal has a very specific depth it has to be set at too, which just adds to the complication.

The worst install I have was on diamond axles. They also are driven in backwards, and suck. you just don't have enough room from.
If you see it, its for sale.