Author Topic: Another valve adjustment done  (Read 10165 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Another valve adjustment done
« Reply #30 on: Jul 01, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »
It is all cool now, the engine is tight and running well.
It was a bad part that caused problems, a new and very much good part took it's place and we have good oil pressure.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 05, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »
Oh yeah, we are rolling with a much better performing engine now, she just drinks fuel like I drink water.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »
All that work I did fixing my cam chain hassles I went through a couple of months ago left me with another gnarly oil leak. The harmonic balancer was my original and was sleeved but, little do I know.
My truck was running great on the 60 mile ride to have my buddy weld in my new leaf spring kit but, she was pissing oil the whole way, a quart of oil leaked out all over the whole underside of the truck and was dripping on his nice clean driveway when I arrived. He was cool about it.
Anyway, I figured out where it was coming from but, I still had to drive 60 miles home with a terrible leak and went through a quart and a half on the way home.
Look at the unit on the right and the grooves in the stain I'll ess steel sleeve, they ate up that brand new oil pump seal to the point it was like that was no seal.
A new balancer and a new oil pump seal took care of the leak and now my truck runs good oil leak free, that 261C cam is pretty sweet.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,216
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2018, 07:09:00 AM »
All that work I did fixing my cam chain hassles I went through a couple of months ago left me with another gnarly oil leak. ... that 261C cam is pretty sweet.

Although the early Toyotas are legendary for reliability, fixing and repairing an old Toy truck is part of the deal.  Glad you got it fixed... I HATE leaks!!

On the 261C cam, as I have posted before, from the guys who have installed this cam, and my own recent experience, it seems to work best in a carb'd engine, where the degrees of overlap is not an issue.  Keep an eye on the valve lash.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 21, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
Oil pans do not like to be applied with impact guns, they prefer the old school hand applied torque method. How do I know this because the two holes in the very front of the pan where the bolts go into the timing cover got dimpled which in turn pinched and split my gasket, again.
I took the pan off after dinner on Sunday and used my ball peen hammer to fix those dimples then put a layer of FIPG on the pan then put on the gasket and applied more FIPG to the top of the gasket then used my hand ratchet to slowly spin the bolts in. I hate doing things manually but, 3 oil pan gaskets was 2 too many so manual install it was.
I do not need a torque wrench, I know the correct torque when I feel it so today for the 1st time since before the cam chain was installed, we are finally once and for all really 100% oil leak free.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,501
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 21, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
Oil pans do not like to be applied with impact guns, they prefer the old school hand applied torque method. How do I know this because the two holes in the very front of the pan where the bolts go into the timing cover got dimpled which in turn pinched and split my gasket, again.
I took the pan off after dinner on Sunday and used my ball peen hammer to fix those dimples then put a layer of FIPG on the pan then put on the gasket and applied more FIPG to the top of the gasket then used my hand ratchet to slowly spin the bolts in. I hate doing things manually but, 3 oil pan gaskets was 2 too many so manual install it was.
I do not need a torque wrench, I know the correct torque when I feel it so today for the 1st time since before the cam chain was installed, we are finally once and for all really 100% oil leak free.

Nice.  :biggthumpup:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 23, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »
I cannot tell you how many issues I've seen with 22RE engines and sleeves eating crank seals

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,216
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #37 on: Aug 23, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
I cannot tell you how many issues I've seen with 22RE engines and sleeves eating crank seals

Well... the $8 to $10 sleeve vs the $100 to $125 new harmonic balancer is the issue.  But... knowing what I know now about this 22RE engine, and my truck, going the cheap route with parts will too often come back to bite you.  To me its just not worth the hassle of having to re-fix something.  Like, having to drop the tranny to replace an input shaft seal with a high quality Toyota OEM $14.00 part instead of saving $5 on SKF chink junk.

By the way, I'm not saying the guys like H8PVMNT should not do what he does so well and MacGyver his Toyota's together.  I certainly understand being frugal mode!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 25, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
The new balancer is working sweet but, I will not stop trying to do things on the cheap if and when possible.
At the same time, I am not afraid to spend on quality parts when the time is right, I do have a Marlin Crawler 4.70:1 dual transfer case and all kinds of other expensive parts in my rig.
When I sleeved the 1st harmonic balancer I was not knowing I could get a new one but, Dorman hooked me up and we are rolling leak free again.