Author Topic: CBeers' 1985 4Runner  (Read 30144 times)

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
CBeers' 1985 4Runner
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
OK here goes   :D

I've been lurking on MC for about 5 years now and don't really post much.  I purchased a 1985 4runner thinking it was "turn key" and I'd just have to make a few touches to make it mine etc.  Stuff I always do with all of my vehicles.  Turns out, the PO was....well......I am not sure if he was just an ass or completely clueless but pretty much everything needed to be re-done.  I own this, I was too excited armed with too little of information to make a smarter purchase but in the end it's fine.  I have learned a TON from you guys and know that will continue.  I also hope to help someone else out along the way.....not sure how though as nothing I am doing is new or different or exciting.  Time proven stuff that works based on what I can gather   :driving:

I posted an intro here:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95816.msg1068551#msg1068551

This was a funny quote considering it's the LAST thing I will do in stage one!
"I think the first real project will be to convert the steering to the IFS style but other than that I'll just be chasing electrical things and cleaning it up in general."

Then I setup a new rear seat so the kids could eventually go back there......eventually turning out to be they will be out of booster seats sooner than later!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96919.msg1079143#msg1079143

Then I drove it a bit, once in a while to work etc.  Work is about an hour for me so enough to see what's up, if anything.  Well, one day on the drive home it was cutting out.....then a lot.  Made it home and changed out the fuel pump and filter since the truck has over 200k and I had no idea if it had ever been done.  Found the filter dangling from a hose but otherwise fairly uneventful.  Then I pulled the plugs   :shocking:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97135.msg1081065#msg1081065

Then I tried to figure out why my passenger locking hub wouldn't disengage....

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97600.msg1086381#msg1086381

And that is all that I have posted about my truck to date.  Pretty exciting huh?

It gets better...stay tuned   :driving:

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: CBeers' 1985 4Runner
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
What turned out to be my first real project of any size was the top end.  Again, with no trust/knowledge of what was done prior to me, I decided to replace the timing chain.  While I was doing that, I would replace the head and cam using the Engnbldr (? I never remember how he does his name up exactly) stuff.  I also replaced most if not all hoses, belts etc. using 22re for most of that stuff.  Gasket kit from them too, didn't use the kit from the head.

So, my first stab at this ended in failure.  I couldn't get the crankshaft bolt loose!!  A friend and I tried everything and ended up breaking tools right and left so I let it be.  Called up Yodaman in Santa Rosa and they said bring it on down.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
They got it, but not without a lot of swearing and multiple attempts. 
What they ended up doing was brilliant, I thought.  They cut reliefs in the flange allowing it to taco ever so slightly upward, releasing pressure enough to allow the air chisel to finally break it free.

Damn    :smack:

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
I very carefully took everything apart, labeling and bagging things up as I went along.  Little by little things came off.  Part of the ongoing theme with this truck is cleaning up the previous owner's mess.  Sometimes that means a configuration issue, or poor parts used.  In all cases it also means crap like this   ::)

The guy never fixed a single seal anywhere....

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
well....I can't seem to find ANY of my pics of the finished engine work.  If I can find them I'll post but nothing crazy, just cleaned up engine bay.  I did end up putting in a bigger radiator, V6 I think?  I forget now.  My old one sprung a leak right after changing out those nasty spark plugs.

Once the engine was done and running again I really didn't do much to it.  At all.  For a long time.  Sometimes not even driving it for months at a time.  Not good I know but life got really busy for us and the 4Runner took a back seat to it all.

That didn't stop me from reading and gathering parts for future plans though!  So I started stashing parts away.

The truck came with Chevy 63s so I am going to use them. 
I'll convert the steering to IFS style while I re-do the suspension and shocks.  Still not sure on what springs.  Was going to do RUF but thinking SKY now...$$ could be the deciding factor when the time comes.
Double transfers - truck came with a very old MC 4.7 box and MC built me a doubler/crawl box
rebuilt front axle with MC kit, MC end gussets and diff guard MC built ARB diff 5.29s
rebuilt rear axle MC kit and MC built ARB diff 5.29s

I will post up more info and pics when I can, but just know that could be hours or months   :beerchug:

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
I jumped ahead.....

before the engine I redid some of the interior.  I want this to be for the family too so I decided on putting in some dynamat stuff.  Some real, some alternative name but you get the idea.  front /passenger cabin is essentially done.  I still want to put more in the rear cargo area as well.  I will also need to make some panels at some point as mine are falling apart in my hands/not even in the truck anymore.

While I was working on the interior, I installed the 12voltguy rear  window bypass kit.

CB

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 08:31:17 AM by cbeers »

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »
Maybe out of order time wise, but after figuring out the hub issue, I decided to take the plunge and rebuild the front axle. Rebuild, more like replace all bearings and seals, I never touched the diff. 

As always, I had NO IDEA on how to rebuild the axle.  I read a bunch and found a couple of great videos and decided to just go for it.  I literally hit play on Youtube, watched for a bit, pause, repeat what I saw, go back for next step.  It was really doable for anyone with basic hand tools.  I did spring for the HF seal driver kit.  I think it was $20ish and I have used the heck out of it since.  Well worth the $ IMO.

Like everywhere else, crud.  Hard to say what part failed but likely all seals were long gone. The mix of oils and crap was thick on everything from front axle to rear axle.....

I finally got it down to the ball and could replace the axle seal and start building things back up.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
Nothing crazy, just putting it back together 

Someday, I will go to the IFS front wheel hub and taco brakes, but not likely for a long time.  One thing I noticed about stashing parts.....if you are slow enough, things change and something else comes up that sounds better in some way.  If I kept chasing everything after I already had something though, I'd be more broke than I am now   :hammer:

Overall, this was a great and fun project.  It's a mess though.  I never used gloves before this project, now I am a bit addicted to them.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
I was so pleased with myself, I took it to a local race track and took my friend Joe out for a spin.  Let's see how it flexes I tell him.  I back up into a hillside and get out to inspect.  Looks cool enough right?
Let me get a pic.

Hey Chris, you need to come see something Joe says......your brake lines are too short.

Impossible I tell him, the PO replaced them!!!

Well......look for yourself.

:yikes:

That's not good.  So on came micro project of new lines.  This of course led to meeting the LPSV and not really knowing what I needed to do with that thing.  Eventually got things bled out and solid again.  I will eventually ditch that LPSV and get a unit at the master.

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
Sometime before I got into the engine project, I stumbled on a Craig's List posting using alternative search words etc.
Front axle complete and a rear V6 IFS width.  The rear turned out to be a pain due to all of the link brackets and wrong wheel backing plates but it was essentially free and the front axle wasn't much more than that.  I planned on keeping parts as spares and building up an axle on the side.  I spent a lot of time cleaning and painting each part for later use.

In the end I used the parts to barter for help on the top end from another MC member  :)

I had the front end stripped down in seconds compared to the first axle I did.  It was crazy how much faster things went.  Experience trumps all right?

It would be years before the rear got done.....hint, it's still not fully assembled in my garage right now

CB

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 03:41:46 PM by cbeers »

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
Time kept going, not much changed but I got the idea to replace the Ujoints in the rear driveshaft.  Read about it, knew about it....OK let's give it a go.

Well, this always happens to me.  I seem to attract the extra fun and I also just don't know what I am doing sometimes.  Often really, but I learn   :turtle3:

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
A couple of years ago, I stripped down the rear axle housing to later be built up again.  My plan was always to build up new axles and then just swap them out nice and easy like.  I just didn't think it would take me years.....

one comment. I have always wondered why people posted up pics of their clean frames, clean axle housings etc.

Then I did this axle and cutting and grinding are not the most fun jobs in the garage.  It takes a good amount of time and in the end nothing is ever perfect but neither am I or this truck so all good   :thumbs:

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
Timing gets fuzzy but somewhere around summer 2016 I finally took apart the 63s that came with the truck.  My plan was to clean them up, throw some paint on and put new bushings in.

The pads show the condition of the springs when I got them, old and crusty, but they were "free" so why not?

QUESTION:  What do you guys think about the cut spring clamps?  I did that to get them apart but curious to see if they will pop out in use?  Maybe I should just weld on a tab and make sure now?  How risky do you guys think this is?

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
Also a few years ago, after installing the 12voltguy switch/bypass.....I closed the tailgate with the window open.
YUP!!!

:hammerhead:

I felt like such an idiot and for good reason.  I have no clue what I was thinking but it wouldn't be the first time I made a mistake.

All worked out in the end.  I found a full tailgate on CL and bought it.  I ended up in the wrong areas of the wrong parts of town but lived.  I was literally two blocks from a major crime/homicide scene.

I used the glass and kept the rest for a while.  Then one day I saw OVRAROK posting about wanting a tailgate so I told him he could have it   :beerchug:
Even better.

I still find bits of glass every now and then when cleaning up shop.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
very cool, i like it.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

ImmortalYota80

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 419
  • Member since Aug '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
Glad to see your finally posting some of this build. Glad I have been able to help you where needed keep up the good work!
1980 4x4 Pickup, 22RE Swap, Marlin Built G54 Trans, 35/12.50 Cooper STT's, 4" Alcan Front springs/F150 rears, Open 5.29 front, 5.29 E-Locker Rear, Rebuilt Axles, High Steer

Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94416.new#new

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »
Hey hey, I was wondering if you would chime in ;)
Didn't want to put you on the spot....

Looking forward to more progress.  Today my "one hour" crossmember installation has morphed into several hours....as usual  :therethere:

Thanks out to Drew for setting me straight on the horse collar, I didn't want to F with that but now that it's done I am glad I did.  I think it came out pretty OK too.

More pics and updates when I get a chance again......

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
We're getting closer to the current time on this project, hard to catch up on things......
About this time last year I picked up another front axle off CL.  Not as good of condition as previous axle but I had plans to take this down to the housing and build back up so it really didn't matter.  So long as the tubes weren't bent....so far things seem good.

My wife was rolling her eyes and shaking her head at this, but she doesn't really understand what I am doing, what it takes to get it done and the end goal. She still doesn't think this will be Rubicon capable   :psss:  ....it will do juuuuust fine.

Delivery.  Another time to wrestle it down solo.  I did cut the ubolts off and pull tires/leafs in the back of my Tundra to make it doable.  Still, they are heavy.  To me.

Ready set GO!

Teardown was SO fast, I knew every bolt, what to do.....knowledge is good.

Bucket of parts in the fancy cleaner I use.  LOTS of scrubbing over the last several years. 

THIS axle is the one that is going under the truck....soon. ish.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
Out came the torch
and grinders
and flap discs
and a lot of beer.  I have a name to live up to you know!
 :beerchug:

Cleaned it up for the time being, more work on it later on

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »
This axle was going to get a lot of love.  Really cleaned up and new hardware in most cases.

First up was the locking hubs.  Once you know the details of them, they are very easy to take apart, clean and enjoy.

RCVs!!!!!  I have been wanting/nearly purchased for years now but finally did the deed.  They are so nice and I dig the C'ya for Bobby.  Also got the locking hub gear with the axles.

Double nut to remove studs for all.  All new OEM studs and hardware to go back on.  Again, later on I thought, maybe I should go ARP but I already had OEM and I am betting they will be fine for a long time.  Plus I am not made of cash so I need to control my impulses!

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
I continued cleaning and painting as I went....then the fun part, putting it back together.  I just love putting clean parts back together and the hardware just caps it off in my opinion.  With the truck now over 30 years old, I figured it would be wise to replace this stuff.  Overkill?  Maybe, but my goal is to make this as reliable of a vehicle as possible.  I have always been a firm believer of preparation before an outing.  In decades of dirt bikes in all terrain, including the Rubicon, I can count on one hand the times my bike broke down.

anyway, pics...

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »
many months later I started working on the housing.  The MC gussets are nice, I like them, but fitting them was challenging.  I am clearly not a pro, so I suspect it was 90% me and of course 10% housing variation  :greengrin:

I welded them on VERY VERY slowly, using quenching cloths to help avoid warpage.  I don't REALLY know if it was needed but my axle shafts went in no problem (months later of course) so I say it didn't hurt.  I kept beads to 2" or less.  That's a lot of stopping and starting but again, without knowing how far I could push things I didn't want to risk it.

MC diff armor was also a challenge for me.  This is the gap with the diff armor resting on the cover of the diff...couldn't go any lower without crazy measures so I filled it in.  Very slowly over time.  A lot of time.  I figured this was a good place to practice welding without much/any risk.

I am using flux core .035 wire so cleanup is time consuming as well.

After armor was done and the housing cleaned up again I was ready to start putting things back together. I didn't take pics along the way but you've seen it all before.  I FINALLY got to use the MC high steer kit I bought FOUR years ago.
It was starting to look good though :smokin:

This takes us up to about Christmas 2017....where I broke my ankle Friday before Christmas and a house full of guests.  Time for plan B on everything!

Needless to say, nothing happened again for quite some time but I would eventually find some rehab in finishing this axle up.

CB

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
Looking good, you following me in at the roundup?  :biggthumpup:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2018, 03:39:52 PM »
That would be a dream realized but I'm a good ways out yet.
I haven't even finished where I'm at much less dig into the front end....

Who knows though I've got a lot done lately   :flamer:   

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
OK on we go, getting closer to current day.....

After a month or so, I felt decent enough to get out in the garage and plod around.  It was not fun, and forgetting a tool when you can't walk got old in a hurry but I kept at it, REALLY slow now, but progress is progress   :turtle3:

Driver's side done through the knuckle
glamour shot too
Wheel hub, rotor and locking hub in place.
brake upgrade from MC
DONE, except for the diff needing paint, which it got eventually
The seal driver kit I have posted about.  Stupid cheap at HF (which I generally don't like for tools) and used many many times since getting it.  The days of finding a socket or pipe to drive seals in are largely done.  I still get a spot sometimes where the supplied tools don't fit just right.

The front axle was now built, but I couldn't do anything with it for a long time yet.  As I mentioned in my first posts, this truck has a plan for it and building up the axles on the side was part of the plan, but other things would have to happen before I could attack the front end.

-Install 63s in the rear - This would allow me to see ride height with the 63s
-Install MC built doubler - This would allow me to get the tcases mounted up so I could start to get measurements for the rear driveshaft.
-Finish building up the new IFS rear axle - allowing me to finalize the tape on the driveshaft, set the pinion angle etc.
-Install rear shock bar from Dave's.....I got this years ago (of course) but now like the LROR unit better.  I am sure this will be just fine and I can always modify as needed.
-Remove 3" body lift and replace with Roger Brown 1".  I generally don't like BL but I think the one inch will work well for my situation.  I won't burn armor in until I am sure of that though ;)

Added to this list is a TON of cleaning of parts and truck as well as replacing a lot of things while I had pieces of the truck pulled apart......

CB

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 30, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
Lookin good so far!  Slow progress is better than no progress
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
Thank you everyone for the comments, I appreciate it and it helps validate what I am doing since most of it is learn during the process.....

My next project was to FINALLY get the rear suspension done.  As I mentioned before, 63s came with the purchase so I am using them.
First step was removing shocks and driveline, but even that was not easy.  The shock washer had been badly abused by rocks and had essentially turned into a lockwasher of sorts as the edge had been folded up along the retaining nut.  Tried pounding it back with a chisel, nope.  Cutting time.  Continued with the rear hangers but left the factory front hangers in place to be used as a reference for setting up the 63s.  Setting up the 63s took me HOURS.  Adjusting here, made "over there" off and I had to adjust, which in turn affected other areas and on it went.  In the end I got everything to within 1/16" or 1 degree so I called it good.

I had help on the welding, these are not my beads which is probably very clear  :greengrin:

I ended up at 30degrees on the ground but I don't have any weight in it so that will likely move a bit as it gets fully outfitted.  I THINK I should be fine though....we will see.
I am still using the stock rear axle in these pics, the IFS rear axle still wasn't built up yet....but would be soon.

I have literally been thinking about this project for years now and it's finally off of my mental to do list.

Time for DUALS   :driving:

CB

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »
 :popcorn:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 11:12:05 AM »
Duals.....
First read about back in the 90s when I had my FJ40 but I didn't really get it at the time.  FJ40 world was looking at SM420s/465s for the low gearing.  Plus, I had 327 V8 in that thing so gears shmears   :gap:

Reading up on builds here though I knew it was a must have for me.  Nothing really is a must have, but you guys know what I mean.  I am also a big believer in taking care of my truck and going ultra slow is the best way I know to help avoid breakage.  It's fun to watch high HP rigs bash over things but it's  not my style or in my budget.

As I mentioned before, my 4runner came with a 4.7 MC transfer case in it.  One of the reasons I bought this instead of the other one I was looking at...

I had been looking on MC's site off and on for years dreaming of being able to get it to happen.  Then last August MC had a sale and I went crazy - rear ARB V6 5.29 diff and the MC08 doubler adapter as the built crawl box was never in stock.  I put something to that effect on my order and hit submit.  Oh yeah, things were getting good.

Got a call back from MC saying they are in stock but you have to call in the order due to multiple configurations etc.  OK makes sense...so you CAN build me one, great.  We talk things over and all seems good (more on this later) but I can't use the discount code since I phoned the order in.  OK, fine, I want this unit.  Unit gets built and shipped and I tuck it away for future use.  Parts pile is looking solid now   :smokin:

My next step was to order the FROR crossmember.  I looked at other styles/brands but in the end wanted the FROR for my purposes.  I order up the kit (skid) and it's on back order.....no big, I am not in a hurry obviously.  Time keeps ticking, no FROR order.  Weeks, now into months so I tell them to cancel and I'll order again when it's back in stock.  They explained the delay and shipped it out next day, but no skid.  Again, not horrible since I am not really ready just yet, but getting close!  Anybody see anything wrong with this picture?  I sure didn't, and I wouldn't see it until it was WAY too late unfortunately.....

I also thought that this was a funny typo in the FSM  **edit it's kind of fuzzy due to file size but says Ford for clutch fork.  One day I'll get an image hosting thing going again but for now, small blurry pics are all I can do**

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »
Around end of March/early April is about when the 63s got done and I started getting into the duals project.
Started by taking things off, bagging and labeling and taking pics as I went along.

About the same time I am talking to a good friend about his new to him jeep and how's he's already modifying it for off road etc.  It's decent enough....you know.  no just kidding, I like the offroading experience far more than what brand of junk you run.  I've just always been a Toyota guy.  Anyway, he says he was doing some axle swapping and bought an engine hoist to help him move things around.  Nice.  I had always wanted one but didn't want to spend/store it, even though I knew it would be very helpful for many projects.  Long story short, he said he really didn't need it and if I wanted to I could take it away and maybe never even bring it back.  OK then!  It will go back though I am sure, even if to his Dad's place (Joe in the above pic) where storage is not an issue.

The hoist was AWESOME.  Working alone with a hobbled wheel is not great but having this thing sure made it better.  It was still not easy, getting the transmission off the engine was a lot of grunting around under the truck but off it came, and there it was on the ground!

I then separated the tcase (even this took me a laughable amount of time as I wasn't sure it was simply a few pieces of hardware) and put it into my masonry tub for a bath in cleaner.  Hmmm, that didn't do much really.  I mean, the nasty gunk was gone but the look was less than stellar.....still, it was out and this WAS happening !

CB