Author Topic: Recommended car insurance for our rigs?  (Read 6786 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Recommended car insurance for our rigs?
« on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
As dumb as the title sounds, I'd like to get some recommendations from those that have either been in an accident in their Yota, or have delt with insurance before in relation to it.

My truck is by no means built, but the value of it is obviously a little higher than that of the blue book value.
I've put thousands into it, and countless man hours.

(NADA says $1225-$2600)

Since most insurance companies only give you what the market value of your truck would be, might you total it. What is the best insurance company that sees past the blue book value?
Some of these people have tens of thousands of dollars invested into a truck that the insurance would only seen as a sub $1,500 Toyota.

I only ask, because I live here in Utah and the drivers here are awful, I almost get my truck totalled every day from some teen on their phone.

Can anyone recommend me a good company that is more lenient towards vehicles that people have put money and time towards?

Here's an included picture of my beater.
Thanks y'all, happy wheeling.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended car insurance for our rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:22:55 PM »
Try looking at haggerty insurance. Basically, you name a value, they give you quote based on what you think the value is. I've used them on older cars, in different stages of the build
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »
Try looking at haggerty insurance. Basically, you name a value, they give you quote based on what you think the value is. I've used them on older cars, in different stages of the build
I'll look into them, I'm not exactly worried about the value of my truck right now, but depending on how the build goes, the value would probably go up. Thanks for the suggestion

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
What OVRAROK is speaking to is known as "Agreed Value Insurance". Haggerty is not the only ones to offer it. Try asking your insurance company about it.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »
As dumb as the title sounds, I'd like to get some recommendations from those that have either been in an accident in their Yota, or have delt with insurance before in relation to it.

Hey Toybrota,

It's not dumb!  Surprisingly many people don't have a clue how their policy is set up, how much coverage they have, what deductible amount they may be responsible for out of pocket, etc.

Don't automatically believe everything your agent tells you when it comes to "Oh yeah.. we have the lowest rates in town!", some are not real savvy, and only interested how much they can jack up your premiums.

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/U.S.-Auto-Claims-Satisfaction-Study/3170ENG

https://www.consumersadvocate.org/car-insurance/a/best-car-insurance?&pd=true&keyword=auto%20insurance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfadltrB2gIVl8hkCh3z_gRtEAAYBCAAEgIlGPD_BwE

https://www.libertymutual.com/auto/car-insurance-coverage/utah

https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-cheap-car-insurance-utah

Do some research and get quotes from your selected short list.  Make sure the company explains every detail of your coverage, like towing service or rental car reimbursement.  Ask the question about coverage for damage caused while "off-highway".  Don't say "I rock crawl the crap out of my truck."

Some States are covered by companies that do business in that State or group of States, so there may be advantages for using that company.

I would not go with Allstate or Nationwide.

I’ve had Farmers, State Farm, and now American Family.  I like American Family.

Be sure to compare the quoted premiums apples to apples. The agents will sell you on a lower premium, but won’t always tell you the downside.

Always consider getting zero $000.00 deductible on Comprehensive (glass damage, vandalism, theft, fire, object hits your truck like hail, trees, for glass damage) Most insurance companies will pay for chip repair.  Utah is not one of the States that waives the deductible for glass damage that requires replacement.

Contents in your truck that gets stolen, like a lap top is not covered under Auto policies… that’s covered under your Home Owners or Rental policy.  Anything that is not attached as an installed piece in your truck is NOT covered for loss, damage, or theft under your Auto policy.  There is typically a deductible amount on a home owners or rental policy.

Always go with a reputable auto glass company to have a chip repaired or a piece of glass replaced.

In 1994 my 1986 Longbed got totaled. State Farm offered me less than $3000.  I said “No flipp’n WAY!!, and told them that I would NOT settle for that amount!  I got every AutoTrader magazine in 3 or 4 counties in Southern California, and looked for every truck with my added options, which was substantial.  I made copies and faxed them to my adjuster at State Farm’s claims office.  After a bit of serious negotiation, they sent me a check for $8,600.

Don’t settle too quickly when dealing with insurance companies…. Fight back with facts as long as you can.

Of course your ultimate cost is going to be based on statistical data that they collect... your age, vehicle type, location, how many drivers will drive your truck, citations, or previous reported accidents.  With a super low premium most likely there is a trade-off.  So when you need them to fight for your situation, they may not take good care of you.... or their customer service for a claim will suck.

Some people only have liability or collision on their policy.  To reduce the cost of premiums, they may waive the Comprehensive coverage, so if the vehicle gets stolen, has serious hail or storm damage, gets vandalized, a tree falls on it, or you hit a deer and total it.. sorry dude...  SOL!

Unfortunately your age will be a huge factor in your premium cost....

"The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-19-year-olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.Oct 16, 2017"

EDITED:   That’s just my opinion, it may be worthless, but it is comprehensive.  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :spin:
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2018, 07:16:17 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
That’s just my opinion, it may be worthless. :blah:

Gnarls. :gap:

You should consider modifying your signature to be the following:

That'’s just my opinion, it may be worthless, but it is comprehensive.

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »
Hey Toybrota,

It's not dumb!  Surprisingly many people don't have a clue how their policy is set up, how much coverage they have, what deductible amount they may be responsible for out of pocket, etc.

Don't automatically believe everything your agent tells you when it comes to "Oh yeah.. we have the lowest rated in town!", some are not real savvy, and only interested how much they can jack up your premiums.

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/U.S.-Auto-Claims-Satisfaction-Study/3170ENG

https://www.consumersadvocate.org/car-insurance/a/best-car-insurance?&pd=true&keyword=auto%20insurance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfadltrB2gIVl8hkCh3z_gRtEAAYBCAAEgIlGPD_BwE

Do some research and get quotes from your selected short list.  Make sure the company explains every detail of your coverage, like towing service or rental car reimbursement.  Ask the question about coverage for damage caused while "off-highway".  Don't say "I rock crawl the crap out of my truck."

Some States are covered by companies that do business in that State or group of States, so there may be advantages for using that company.

Be sure to compare the quoted premiums apples to apples. The agents will sell you on a lower premium, but won’t always tell you the downside.

Always consider getting zero $000.00 deductible on Comprehensive (glass damage, vandalism, theft, fire, object hits your truck like hail, trees, for glass damage.  Most insurance companies will pay for chip repair.  Utah is not one of the States that waives the deductible for glass damage that requires replacement.

Contents in your truck that gets stolen, like a lap top is not covered under Auto policies… that’s covered under your Home Owners or Rental policy.  Anything that is not attached as an installed piece in your truck is NOT covered for loss, damage, or theft under your Auto policy.  There is typically a deductible amount on a home owners or rental policy.

Always go with a reputable auto glass company to have a chip repaired or a piece of glass replaced.

In 1994 my 1986 Longbed got totaled. State Farm offered me less than $3000.  I said “No flipp’n WAY!!, and told them that I would NOT settle for that amount!  I got every AutoTrader magazine in 3 or 4 counties in Southern California. Looked for every truck with my added options, which was substantial.  I made copies and faxed them to my adjuster at State Farm’s claims office.  After a bit of serious negotiation, they sent me a check for $8,600.

Don’t settle too quickly when dealing with insurance companies…. Fight back with facts as long as you can.

Of course your ultimate cost is going to be based on statistical data that they collect... your age, vehicle type, location, how many drivers will drive your truck, citations, or previous reported accidents.  A super low premium most likely there is a trade-off.  So when you need them to fight for your situation, they may not take good care of you.... or their customer service for a claim will suck.

Some people only have liability or collision on their policy.  To reduce the cost of premiums, they may waive the Comprehensive coverage, so if the vehicle gets stolen, catches fire and burns up, has serious hail or storm damage, gets vandalized, or a tree falls on it.. sorry dude...  SOL!

"The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-19-year-olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.Oct 16, 2017"

That’s just my opinion, it may be worthless. :blah:

Gnarls. :gap:
Thank you so much for this! Lots to take in, I have Geico, but definitely considering changing.

I Also have comprehensive, which is a huge plus especially for me.

I'd like to think if myself as a good driver, definitely better than most of my age. Having been in 3 car accidents in my truck within the last 10 months, I Definitely need to consider a better insurance plan.
None of which were my fault I'd like to point out...
No tickets, citations or anything. It's hard to speed in one of these trucks.

Theft and vandalism is unfortunately plays a huge roll with where I live, and where I work. After having my motorcycle stolen, it definitely opened my eyes to what could happen.

I'm gonna make sure to run all this information through my insurance and see what they can tell me.

My truck isn't worth more than maybe $3K, but for everything that I've done and spent money on, that number grows. But at the end if the day, it's not worth too much. After a nice cab replacement and paint job, maybe that number will jump to $4K

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2018, 07:19:34 AM »
You should consider modifying your signature to be the following:

That'’s just my opinion, it may be worthless, but it is comprehensive.

Haahhahha..  "Comprehensive"... I get it.   :greengrin:

Comprehensive Coverage on an auto policy is also considered "no fault".  As opposed to Collision, where "fault" is a factor.

Also,  Pomp 'n Stink can be comprehensive.  :blah:

Gnarls.  :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »
I would stay far, far away from the General, they don't pay up. Friend of mine was rear ended by a woman insured from them, that was 7 months ago and still not settlement.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »
I would stay far, far away from the General, they don't pay up. Friend of mine was rear ended by a woman insured from them, that was 7 months ago and still not settlement.

It’s clear they are not spending the money on commercials. I have always assumed that they were not much more than a scam.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »
It’s clear they are not spending the money on commercials. I have always assumed that they were not much more than a scam.

For a great low rate you can get online, go to The General and save some time!
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Xarcre

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2018, 05:43:50 AM »
Hey Toybrota,

Don't automatically believe everything your agent tells you when it comes to "Oh yeah.. we have the lowest rates in town!", some are not real savvy, and only interested how much they can jack up your premiums.

https://www.consumersadvocate.org/car-insurance/a/latestcasbest-car-insurance?&pd=true&keyword=auto%20insurance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfadltrB2gIVl8hkCh3z_gRtEAAYBCAAEgIlGPD_BwE

Always consider getting zero $000.00 deductible on Comprehensive (glass damage, vandalism, theft, fire, object hits your truck like hail, trees, for glass damage) Most insurance companies will pay for chip repair.  Utah is not one of the States that waives the deductible for glass damage that requires replacement.

In 1994 my 1986 Longbed got totaled. State Farm offered me less than $3000.  I said “No flipp’n WAY!!, and told them that I would NOT settle for that amount!  I got every AutoTrader magazine in 3 or 4 counties in Southern California, and looked for every truck with my added options, which was substantial.  I made copies and faxed them to my adjuster at State Farm’s claims office.  After a bit of serious negotiation, they sent me a check for $8,600.

Of course your ultimate cost is going to be based on statistical data that they collect... your age, vehicle type, location, how many drivers will drive your truck, citations, or previous reported accidents.  With a super low premium most likely there is a trade-off.  So when you need them to fight for your situation, they may not take good care of you.... or their customer service for a claim will suck.

Some people only have liability or collision on their policy.  To reduce the cost of premiums, they may waive the Comprehensive coverage, so if the vehicle gets stolen, has serious hail or storm damage, gets vandalized, a tree falls on it, or you hit a deer and total it.. sorry dude...  SOL!

EDITED:   That’s just my opinion, it may be worthless, but it is comprehensive.  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :spin:

I now insure my wifes car, my truck our house, my quad and our travel trailer for 18$ a month more then moloche monex was charging me for just my truck. They also will lie to you and tell you **** like" when I moved to my new house they raised my insurance by 30% because i had to use deerfoot or glenmore to access my home. They told me that every insurance company would be the same because of my " high-risk" location. I found out this was untrue and left them with the oilers(in the dust). Try Intact insurance. They have been more then good with my hail damamge claim and my wifes mva claim.
I was paying 390-+ at meloch for just my truck and now for everything listed above with intact I am paying just over 400.
Good luck and stop giving your money to those criminals.

All the best: Best Insurance Crm Software Systems
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2018, 03:48:48 AM by Xarcre »