Author Topic: Late Model Owners: Run the Rubicon with Marlin Crawler this June!  (Read 8350 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup

TLCA Rubithon Event Info: https://rubithon.com
Online Registration: https://rubithon.com/registration

Rubithon Tacoma Invasion
For 30 years the Toyota Land Cruiser Association (TLCA) has been holding Land Cruiser-specific trail runs through the famous Rubicon trail and not once have they done an official Tacoma run group. Well, now that I'm wheel'n a late model Tacoma, I say enough is enough! For too many years these well-built, well-maintained, highly capable and beautiful Land Cruisers have been making Tacomas look like a possum's pecker and I say it's time we stand up and make a change! I say it's time we show these short wheelbases some new tricks! I say it's time the trail sees some modern pickup technology! I say it's time for the First Annual Rubithon Tacoma Invasion!

If you've got a Tacoma that's not afraid of some rocks, then please join Marlin Crawler this June 21 as I lead the first official Tacoma group in my 580:1 Triple Marlin Crawler Transfer Case'd 2016 3rd gen Tacoma during the extra-special 30th year celebration of the organization's oldest event through the most famous 4WD trail in the country. The Rubithon Event (https://rubithon.com) is the main event for the TLCA (https://tlca.org) and has traditionally been the largest annual Toyota gathering on the Rubicon trail.

About the TLCA
Founded in 1976, the Toyota Land Cruiser Association is the international club for Toyota 4WD vehicle owners, and dedicates themselves to bringing together and promoting the interest of Toyota four wheeling. They are also entrusted by more than 50 chapter clubs around the world to preserve and protect the history of the Land Cruiser and Toyota's off-road heritage. The organization has an amazing history (https://tlca.org/history) and has the longest running purely Toyota off-road publication known as the Toyota Trails which prints almost 25K copies annually (view the current edition online: https://tlca.org/toyotatrails/2018/0304/html5.html).

The TLCA, Marlin Crawler, and Modern Toyota Truck Owner Connection
As the TLCA was founded before the first 4WD Toyota pickup existed, historically it has been a Land Cruiser club. There are however, hundreds of Pickups, 4Runners, Tacomas, and FJ Cruisers registered with the TLCA today. In fact, the TLCA is directly responsible for why countless thousands use modern Toyota trucks and SUVs off-road today. Here is the connection between the TLCA, Marlin Crawler, and quite possibly you:
  • In 1983, Marlin met a TLCA member who convinced him to buy a Toyota Hilux pickup. Marlin did just that and joined the TLCA that same year.
  • After a decade of trying to outdo the Land Cruiser, in 1994 Marlin created the Marlin Crawler, which made the 1st/2nd/3rd gen Hilux Pickup and 1st/2nd gen Hilux 4Runner the most capable off-road Toyota vehicles on the market overnight.
  • Countless former Land Cruiser owners made the switch to a Pickup or 4Runner equipped with a Marlin Crawler transfer case system.
  • The overnight success from the Marlin Crawler brought such momentum to the Toyota off-road world that it transformed the previously dominated Jeep landscape. Prior to the Marlin Crawler, it was at best a 1:30 ratio of Toyota pickups to Jeeps on the trails. Since the Marlin Crawler changed the off-road world in 1994, trails such as the Rubicon now have almost a level playing field of Toyotas to Jeeps!
  • In conclusion, off-road going late model Toyota pickup and SUV owners likely chose a Toyota based on their incredible pickup off-road reputation which originated with the Marlin Crawler.
The TLCA, Marlin Crawler, and you: A history you may not have known existed!

How to participate
To participate, please register online at https://rubithon.com/registration or by mail-in form (PDF) at https://rubithon.com/wp-content/uploads/30th-Registration-Form.pdf. During registration, sign up for the "Renegade Run" and specify in the comments sections that you'll be participating in the Tacoma Invasion Run. This year is a H-U-G-E celebration year, and registration includes emergency airlift service provided by CalStar at no extra cost.

What trucks are we looking for?
Anyone with a Rubicon-ready late model non-Land Cruiser Toyota 4WD: Tacoma, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, T100, Tundra, Sequoia, or GX470!

What to do if you are not a TLCA Member?
TLCA membership is required to participate in official TLCA events. If you are not a member, then Marlin Crawler will cover the cost of General Membership by donating a $35 CRAWL Card to you at the event!

Marlin Crawler's Rubithon Tacoma Invasion Event details:
Thursday June 21, 2018
9:00am      Driver's Meeting at Loon Lake Staging Area
12:00pm   Lunch at or near the Little Sluice
4pm      Setup camp at the official "Camp Marlin Crawler", Rubicon Trail Foundation's new Property

Friday June 22, 2018
9:00am      Leave for the famous Springs Campground!
1:00pm      Estimated arrival to the main event, Rubicon Springs Campground

Saturday June 23, 2018
Enjoy the many events planned for this year's 30th annual Rubithon:
   * Wine Tasting to support the Rubicon Trail Foundation
   * Off-road Educational Classes
   * Horseshoe Tournament
   * RC Rock Crawl Competition

Sunday June 24, 2018
6:00am      Run the trail backwards, returning to Loon Lake
      Optional: Complete the trail by continuing up Cadillac Hill and out to Lake Tahoe

Come wheel the Rubicon in your late-model Toyota with Marlin Crawler!
We hope you will consider supporting the TLCA and the longest running major annual Toyota event in the world this year with Marlin Crawler!

This year's 30th Anniversary Rubithon is expected to be one of the largest Rubithons in history!

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018, 12:28:15 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Please reply to this thread once registered for the event and the Tacoma Invasion Run so we can get a list of drivers together. :greengrin:

If you're already registered in a late-model Toyota and would like to join, then let me know and I can arrange with event chairman Eric to move you to this run :thumbs:

Current List of Registered Rigs: (updated 4/30/2018)
1. Jeff M. - 1995 Tacoma
2. Fritz H. - 2009 TRD Offroad Tacoma

:driving: :camping:
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 09:39:47 AM by BigMike »

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just signed up,

I cant make the Round Up due to a schedule conflict and didn't know what group to sign up for, Stoked you guys are doing this!!

Can't wait

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Just signed up,

I cant make the  Round up cause of a schedule conflict and didnt know what group to sign up for, Stoked you guys are doing this!!

Can't wait

Holding onto that truck after all then? Let me know when you are ready to sell it. I'll buy it.

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Holding onto that truck after all then? Let me know when you are ready to sell it. I'll buy it.

Hoping to find a FJ55 on this event

Will do

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
@bigmike

I am officially signed up for the run.

Should show up as participant -  Fritz Hamilton

My truck is a Mid Travel Tacoma build  - Supercharged - 285BFG MT - 2.5" Icon lift - Marlin Crawl box with FJ twin Stick - armor all around - ARB in front elocker in rear
IG: snicklephritz87

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Awesome guys!! Thank you for joining me on this introductory Rubithon run!!

Would you guys mind listing what year your Tacomas are? Thanks! :wave:

Regards,
BigMike

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Regards,
BigMike

Mines a '95

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer

Regards,
BigMike

2009 TRD Offroad

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
@bigmike

Since this is my first rubicon trip. What should I expect?  My truck is ready. I feel my tire size is on the small end(285) but it will make things challenging.  But as far as the itinerary etc. i assume camping each night. Do we have any loose Wednesday night campsite plans? Do i need to bring anything specifically? I just got my fire extinguisher and medical kit. So i have the tlca checklist covered.

I am a rubicon newbie I wanna understand what i am getting myself into haha.

Enjoy Texas!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
@bigmike

Since this is my first rubicon trip. What should I expect?  My truck is ready. I feel my tire size is on the small end(285) but it will make things challenging.  But as far as the itinerary etc. i assume camping each night. Do we have any loose Wednesday night campsite plans? Do i need to bring anything specifically? I just got my fire extinguisher and medical kit. So i have the tlca checklist covered.

I am a rubicon newbie I wanna understand what i am getting myself into haha.

Enjoy Texas!

Hello Fritz, thank you for the questions!

Regarding tire size, so long as you have good body armor you will be okay, the most critical of which is sliders. Ground clearance under the truck will be an issue at times but the good news is that I am expecting for this to be a laid back, relaxed time on the Rubicon. We only need to get to the bottom of the Slabs which we should be able to do many hours before dark. So no pressure at all from me: I am extra happy to take time and stack rocks where ever needed due to ground clearance. The first day shouldn't be too bad. There are only a couple required challenging spots. The second day will pose more difficulty, especially towards the lower section of the Big Sluice. More good news :) is that other groups just beyond our first camp will be older Land Cruiser Wagons, which themselves will be on 33s and 35s max. By the time we get to the more difficult sections on Friday I suspect rocks to have already been tossed in for rigs ahead of us. That plus the distance remaining to travel on Friday is less than Thursday. All-in-all I am certain we will be able to run a relaxing pace and enjoy the trail :thumbs:

Question: Do you have a rear locker? If not we could manage, but the struggle will be on Sunday if we go up Cadillac Hill. I would say a rear locker is required if the truck is to make it up on it's own power. Regarding Cadillac and our Sunday exit strategy, I am not apposed to leaving out to Lake Tahoe, especially since this is your first time it would be nice for you to see and to complete the entire trail!

No real agenda for Wednesday. My only goal for the day will be to get to Loon before dark. It'll be about a 6 hour drive for me.
I will be camped Wednesday night before the first Loon Lake damn at the large helicopter landing area here: https://goo.gl/maps/RYAnC5rsE2Q2
Here is a map with reference from Hwy50: https://goo.gl/maps/HLc3SquCNjS2
Finally, here is where our Thursday morning 9am Driver's Meeting will be, right next to the restroom of the Loon Lake Staging Area: https://goo.gl/maps/ZZfoEiEUSQr

If we are all together and get to the Staging Area before 9, I have no reservations against going in earlier than 9am. The only thing is there is another official run group entering the trail at 8:30a and we're scheduled by TLCA to go in after them :) We could tag onto the back of their group and then have more vehicles to watch... but in the spirit of a nice relaxing day, it would be nice to be in our own little isolated group so we can enjoy it at our own pace. (Side note: The next group after us won't be starting the trail until 10am so we'll have a decent buffer behind us.)

:thumbs:

Packing list:
Thank you for considering the TLCA safety checklist. For others, here is the link: https://tlca.org/vehicle-inspection-requirements/
I also recommend considering the CAL4WD safety checklist here: https://cal4wheel.com/events/safety-requirements
If everyone in our group has both of those safety checklists checked-off, then we'll all be good!

A great additional resource is our close friend Del Albright's "Know before you go" page here: http://delalbright.com/Rubicon/know.htm#Anchor-23790
He has the following list of recommended vehicle mods for Jeep owners here which can help give an overview for Toyota owners: http://delalbright.com/Rubicon/mods.htm

Again, thank you for your questions! I will be sure to include this information in next year's event page :circle: I am excited and feel fortunate to be the one to show you the trail for your first time!!

Regards,
BigMike

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Question: Do you have a rear locker? If not we could manage, but the struggle will be on Sunday if we go up Cadillac Hill. I would say a rear locker is required if the truck is to make it up on it's own power. Regarding Cadillac and our Sunday exit strategy, I am not apposed to leaving out to Lake Tahoe, especially since this is your first time it would be nice for you to see and to complete the entire trail!

@bigmike

My truck is fairly well equipped. I have full armor including full skids. I have ARB locker in the front and Factory Elocker in the rear. I also have a 4.7 TacoBox from Marlin.

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
What is the chance of a satarday after wheeling departure? Sounds like I have to get back home for Sunday am family events.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
My truck is fairly well equipped. I have full armor including full skids. I have ARB locker in the front and Factory Elocker in the rear. I also have a 4.7 TacoBox from Marlin.
Well then :D  :drool:  :driving:

What is the chance of a satarday after wheeling departure? Sounds like I have to get back home for Sunday am family events.
You are free to leave anytime. Some considerations:

1. The main event takes place Saturday at the Springs Campground, activities starting around 10am and continuing through the night with the dinner, raffle, and bonfire. Leaving early on Saturday means you'll miss out on these things.

2. While about half of all participants should already be in the springs by Friday night, there are run groups still making their way to the springs as well as people running solo (renegades) entering from both sides (the Springs has two ways in or out: From Loon [the long way] or from Tahoe [the short way]). Because both routes leading to the Springs have multiple narrow sections near the Springs where vehicles can not pass, depending on what time you leave Saturday, you could be really held up waiting for rig after rig trying to get to the Springs.

Recommendation:
I'd recommend you leave out to Lake Tahoe (shorter route to get out) either very early Saturday morning -- leave camp no later than 6am, or very late Saturday night -- leave after the raffle around 9pm and nightwheel out. There are usually a good 10% or so of all participants leaving after the raffle so you'd likely have some company on the trail should you leave Sat. night.

Question:
What time to you need to be home on Sunday? A popular way to beat the crowd and avoid the association's Exit Strategy, is the following:
  • 1. Be fully packed up and ready to go before the main Saturday night dinner

• 2. Only take the bare minimum to dinner & raffle (camp chair, silverware, flashlight, light jacket)

• 3. Don't consume any alcohol during the dinner & raffle

• 4.0. Immediately after the raffle, hop in your truck and head up Cadillac Hill in the dark to a small campground just beyond the Parking Lot In The Sky. Here is a map for where this camping spot is: https://goo.gl/maps/pvriyVPfBAw It is a small camping spot but I've never seen it overloaded after the main Rubithon event.
    • 4.1. What this does is it gets the hardest remaining section of the trail (Cadillac Hill) out of the way, and most importantly, before anyone breaks down holding you plus hundreds up on this non-passable section of trail.
    • 4.2. Side note worth mentioning: Back in the early 2010s there were reports of bear near this campground but a few years ago they were captured and hauled to a different forest by game officials.

• 5. Hit the trail early and be the first one to Lake Tahoe! From the top of Cadillac to the Tahoe Staging Area (map: https://goo.gl/maps/3kcDzwcqoHy), without any traffic it's only about 45 mins at a fast pace or hour to hour and a half at a slightly faster than normal pace. So you could be to pavement, aired up and on your way, as early as 7am Sunday morning whilst not having to miss any of the Saturday evening activities.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:28:35 PM by BigMike »

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

I'm planning on wheeling out from the Springs or Buck Island Saturday evening, probably right as the event starts.  I've done this in the past during the Round Up and traffic was pretty quite as most people were at the springs and i'm not to worried about missing dinner/raffle

I'm gonna go back to Loon Lake though.  I'm not excited about the drive back around in my rig, as it's not street legal at the moment

I plan on camping Saturday night at Loon or maybe load up and head south to a hotel depending on what time we get out. 

Not sure if that helps but just giving you another option
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:09:31 AM by Mac33 »

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
@bigmike

Any Plans to run "Old Sluice" 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:41:02 PM by Mac33 »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
@bigmike

Any Plans to run "Old Sluice" 

I was hoping to pre-run Rubicon to take a look at it but looks like I won't have the time. I haven't done the Old Sluice since about 2008 and am 100% open to giving it a go as we will have time to take it easy and enjoy it. I'll be the one going the slowest as I remember it being tight and I don't have any rear corner body armor yet (still rock'n my factory rear bumper until later this year).

Can'ttttt waitttttt!! :driving: :camping:

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was hoping to pre-run Rubicon to take a look at it but looks like I won't have the time. I haven't done the Old Sluice since about 2008 and am 100% open to giving it a go as we will have time to take it easy and enjoy it. I'll be the one going the slowest as I remember it being tight and I don't have any rear corner body armor yet (still rock'n my factory rear bumper until later this year).

Can'ttttt waitttttt!! :driving: :camping:

Right on,  Thanks Mike

Looking forward to it as well!!

Reynolds

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 491
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Mike, I get off work at 4pm on Thursday and will either make the drive up to Loon with Jeff (mac33) that evening or will meet you guys at the RTF property that night. I’m only an hour and a half from Loon so I should make pretty good time :) I ran Old Sluice back in 2015?ish and the rocks are BIG near the bottom. Not sure what it looks like this year but I’d imagine it’s not too different but we’ll see. Looking forward to the event!
-Brian

Reynolds

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 491
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Oh I’ll be in a 2001 Tacoma. You’ll probably remember me by my custom inner fenders from MCR last year ;)
-Brian

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
On my way should land right at 9am.