Author Topic: Second battery install  (Read 4854 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Second battery install
« on: Mar 31, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »
I wanted a second battery in my rig because I run 110 volt stuff off of my inverter and have a bunch of accessory toys off of the truck's power system from the 800watt sub woofer to the compressor and electric cooler and battery chargers out the yin yang and I will have a winch on her next year so power is needed, a lot of power.
A 130 amp alternator should be enough to go with two 12 volt batteries, one is agm and the other is a standard wet cell car battery, they together should be overkill.

The battery box came from ebay, it is steel, fairly well made but, the battery hold down was poorly designed and Toyota was smart enough to make their hold down work on the right for the American market and on the left for the Australian/Asian/British market so I bought one and we are held down as Toyota designed it.
Now I need to buy a cable kit that is 47 miles long so I can route the positive cable safely, safety 2nd as always.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Second battery install
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »
Will you be running an isolator?  If memory serves, the charge rates between wet and agm can be different and cause issues, though that is a fragmented memory from when they first came out with agm. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2018, 04:46:18 AM »
The guys I knew that had winches, most of them did not have dual batteries.  Almost all the winching I saw on the trail was only for a few minutes, so the battery drain was usually not down to a critical level.

Dual battery isolation and switching is important.

This is used for marine apps, but it should work for a 4x4.......

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--e-series-dual-circuit-plus-battery-switch--7808801

One of the issues with a battery located on the exhaust side of the engine bay is heat.

I would use some kind of insulation....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-13200?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-thermo-tec&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_NqI8f6Y2gIVRmB-Ch2AugKqEAQYBCABEgJFjvD_BwE

The yachting  and vehicle expedition sites have quite a bit about dual battery and deep cycle set up information.

Gnarls.  :blah:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2018, 10:23:04 AM »
Will you be running an isolator?  If memory serves, the charge rates between wet and agm can be different and cause issues, though that is a fragmented memory from when they first came out with agm.
Yes, I have an isolator and will be buying another agm battery when money allows.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
I run dual Odyssey battery's and have for at least 12 years. My battery's are mounted in the back on each side. I made my own cables out welding cable 0 and 1 in size. I do not run an isolator or switch and have never had a problem and I have worked the winch for long periods. I also have a 180 amp GM style powermaster alternator, the system has worked flawless all these years.

Sidenote. My tow rig is an 04 Ram 2500 CTD and it came with dual battery's. One day I was checking out the system on it and it does not have an isolator or switch of any type either.   
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
I run dual Odyssey battery's and have for at least 12 years. My battery's are mounted in the back on each side. I made my own cables out welding cable 0 and 1 in size. I do not run an isolator or switch and have never had a problem and I have worked the winch for long periods. I also have a 180 amp GM style powermaster alternator, the system has worked flawless all these years.

Sidenote. My tow rig is an 04 Ram 2500 CTD and it came with dual battery's. One day I was checking out the system on it and it does not have an isolator or switch of any type either.
All of this is out of my league, I've never hooked up a spare car battery to anything so I will have help from those that know more than I.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
My next door neighbor gave this isolator to me right after I bought my truck in 2014, it is still in the package so my question is has anyone ever used one of these particular units before and do they do the job satisfactorily? It is a Battery Doctor brand item.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »
The second battery is now back out of the truck so I can do final mods to the new tray and have it powder coated, nothing like plastic paint to protect steel from battery acid.
I did put the alternator in today, almost fell into place and only needed a little gentle persuasion with the 3lb hammer because it was tight. (That's what she said.)

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
Unless you stare at it really hard, you won't see the auxiliary fans and oil cooler behind the grille and when the engine is running with the new alternator going, those fans kick ass.

I drove her around for more than a half hour in 90°+ heat and the gauge didn't come off of it's usual warmed up level but, the real test will be when I take her up a freeway hill like the Grapevine I-5 north coming out of Santa Clarita, I hope my efforts pay off.

So far I'm happy with the results, we will see this weekend.
My newly adapted battery tray goes back in soon, she is painted with a few coats of epoxy paint so rust shouldn't be an issue.