Author Topic: Tennessee/ Kentucky info from those that know  (Read 3853 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Tennessee/ Kentucky info from those that know
« on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
Those that have been around forever know who I am, those that don’t- howdy!

I moved to nor cal late 2015. And without going into too much detail, that was a horrid mistake.  It’s been financially beneficial for me, but I’ve sold my soul. I’m unhappy emotionally and spiritually here. So, BYE!

My wife’s sister lives in Nashville, so we’re selling our ranch and packing up!
Are there any members that live in a two hour radius of Nashville ( including southern Kentucky)
That can steer me clear of undesirable locations, give me some pointers, maybe local secrets?
Everything looks wonderful but I know enough to know that after being somewhere for a while- you learn the highs and lows of where you want to live vs where you don’t.

Thanks in advance!

Your friendly marlin gypsy- crawlerdan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Tennessee/ Kentucky info from those that know
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09:33:46 PM »
Sorry Dan, sucks that it hasn’t worked out for you but, you definitely hafta prioritize happiness or nothing else will come to you at face value
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8319
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
I have no insight on that area but good luck with your move.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2018, 10:24:45 AM »
I live in Huntsville, AL and have several friends who know Nashville well.  I will ask around for you.  Are you looking to live in the Nashville area or are you asking about different cities within a "2 hour radius"?  Also, when you do move to the area, I can let you in on some good places to wheel.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
That was all part of my region I used to travel for work. If I were to be moving to that area I would stay out of the Nashville area maybe more out into the Hendersonville are. But that's just me. I love woods and water.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »
I Grew up in Nashville!  Haven't lived there for like 10 years, but my folks still live there. 

Nashville itself has blown up recently and real estate prices are bonkers.  If you are looking to work in Nashville, then the furthest i'd be comfortable living outside of the city would be Hendersonville, Franklin, Kingston Springs or Ashland City.  If you end up looking for anything in town send me a message and I can put you in touch with my father.  He is a real estate agent in Nashville but deals primarily with Subdivisions.

*edit* Also some nice land to be had in the Columbia area South of Nashville.

If you can compete with the country music stars financially, then there is some beautiful land to be had in the Leipers Fork area of town off HWY 96. Either way its a nice little town to visit and get a fried bologna sandwich from Puckett's Grocery.  :drool:

I spent alot of time in the Pegram/Dickson/Fairview/Ashland City part of middle Tennessee and found it to be beautiful.  Lots of land to be had out that way as well,and you wont have to compete with any country music stars in a bidding war.  Lots of Hunting/Fishing/Boating out that way as well in the Cheatham WMA.

If lakeside living is on your agenda check out Old Hickory and Percy Priest Reservoirs.

Only off-road experience i've had in TN was at Wind Rock Park outside of Knoxville (~3h from Nashville).  We used to take my buddies Rubicon up there for some fun but nothing technical.  http://www.windrockpark.com/  Plenty of outdoors activities in between Nashville and Knoxville for hiking and camping but not sure about wheeling.  There is also Great Smoky Mountains National Park about 1h east of Knoxville.

Middle/East TN is absolutely beautiful country and I would move back there in a heartbeat given the opportunity.

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2018, 10:21:29 AM by fireitup »
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »
Spoken like a true native. Them sandwiches are awesome!
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
Dan do you have facebook?    I know several that live in the north Ga and mid TN area.  TN TTORA also
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
Dan do you have facebook?    I know several that live in the north Ga and mid TN area.  TN TTORA also

Sorry I got really busy with work and forgot to check things, no Glenn I do not have Facebook and refuse to participate in such things. Marlin crawler is as close to social media as I will ever get. I am looking outside of the Nashville area, as it is important to me to live in a small three County. We also would like to live in a wet county as I do enjoy whiskey from time to time and would prefer to not have any issues in that regard. We have lived anywhere from South Western Kentucky, to western Tennessee, as well as areas north and east of Nashville.

Thanks for the info fireitup!!

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »
There are many toyota offroaders out there.  I knpw some cruiser people and noncruiser people.  I'll try and give them this link
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 06:27:04 AM »
There are many toyota offroaders out there.  I knpw some cruiser people and noncruiser people.  I'll try and give them this linker
we just got back from nine days in Tennessee and Kentucky, the good Lord certainly spent some extra time on those places. I absolutely loved the land in the niceties of the people were very refreshing after spending time in California . We have hired a realtor and are looking mainly within a one hour radius of Nashville, as we have family there that we would like to see regularly. I looked in the majority of central and western Kentucky and even made it up to the Indiana border and absolutely loved that place, it reminds me of Southwest Washington where I lived as a child but with more mountains. Tennessee reminds me of Southwest Washington and Montana as well ,both of those places I hold dearly to my heart.  We put 2500 miles on the rental car in one week so we certainly did our diligence in looking around but there is so much more to see.  Our home in Northern California has been on the market for over a month now with very little promising action, as soon as we sell it we will depart.  Please pray that the Lord has a hand in guiding us where he wants and needs us !

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
Well marlin family- we fired our excuse for a realtor after six months of almost no action. I hired an aggressive young lady to replace the last one, and we’ve had two offers in one week. It’s funny to watch someone who actually has respect and skill in a profession. We’re planning on being in middle Tennessee in 4 weeks, we may look for a home on the 65 corridor just across the border in KY.

If y’all know of any sweet houses that a professional mechanic and rock crawler woul like- let me know

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:39:11 AM »
we made it to Tennessee! got a nice little house and a half acre in Bellevue. it will do for now. eventually id like to have significant acreage to be irresponsible on haha. :rofl2:

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »
Awesome!  I grew up outside Bellevue back near Newsom’s Mill. Check out Pizza Perfect for a good slice. If you ever need any recommendations let me know.  Unfortunately did not wheel back then so don’t have any contacts for that. Will poll my friends that still live in the area.

Sent using Tapatalk
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
Awesome!  I grew up outside Bellevue back near Newsom’s Mill. Check out Pizza Perfect for a good slice. If you ever need any recommendations let me know.  Unfortunately did not wheel back then so don’t have any contacts for that. Will poll my friends that still live in the area.

Sent using Tapatalk
awesome!id love to find a local place to wheel my polaris