Author Topic: Can you have height & load capacity both?  (Read 4024 times)

Osage1978

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Jan '18
  • Champagne taste on a beer budget
    • View Profile
Can you have height & load capacity both?
« on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:24:08 AM »
I understand this is primarily a rock crawling forum and suspension flex is usually a primary concern but here me out as my issue is different

I use my little 82 short bed to haul firewood and hunting dogs & dead hogs in & out of some fairly nasty places, nothing like most of you guys crawl your trucks through but compared to every day trucks it's rough country

I need more ride height but need to be able to still carry a bed stacked cab high of firewood. I've reinforced the frame, bought Spartan lockers for it soon to be installed but my limiting factor is still the height. I'm running 31x10.5 swampers that clear well but would really like to be closer to running 35's. I can load it now with some sag but it hold's it well.

What's the solution? Lift plus bolt on over loads, Do I buy a boxed lift kit, do I  add factory springs to my pack until I get the height and capacity or spend the money and pay the spring shop the money to build me a custom pack front & rear. Surely there is a diy solution that won't break the bank and allow me to have height & load capacity I'm after. I've seen it done locally by a guy years ago which is what started my affinity for these little tough trucks but he no longer lives here so I can't ask him?

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 07:44:36 AM by Osage1978 »
John 5:24

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Can you have height & load capacity both?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure that some of the lifts like Superlift maintain some, if not all, of the OEM load capacity.  I'd suggest going with something like Alcan for at least the rear springs if you really want it done right.  I'd be very skeptical of any DIY spring that was intended to give lift and load capacity, especially in the context of also being a decent off road spring where some flex is usually desired.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
As BD said, I believe most if not all of the big brand lift kits maintain the stock load capacity if not more.
Time to go wheelin!

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
That's great to hear, I know the big box brand lifts are not really suitable for what a lot of guys do on this forum but it sounds like for my mild application from what you guys are saying that it would serve my needs.

I'm thinking & correct me if I'm wrong that probably a 5 inch all spring lift is probably what I need to run 35 and still have plenty of clearance while loaded?

I used Rough Country on my old 85 k20 but I'm not sure if the other brands are any better. SuperLift sells a 5" all spring lift kit. But I don't want to buy a kit & find out later there was a better box kit for equivalent money. I've looked at OME but about 3-4 max lift seems to be what their system provides. Never heard of Alcan, I'll have to look into them.

Thank you men

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
I like running alcan, they will make the springs to whatever spec you won't. If you don't mine a little fender trimming OME 4" heavys would be a good choice for off the shelf springs. I run them on my 4runner and I had to take out the overload because they where to stiff in the rear.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
Given what you do with your rig, and wanting to just make it easier to do, I would go with a set of OME 2" lift springs, run an additional main leaf in the rear, and run 33's.  This will give you more ground clearance, about 500lbs more carrying capacity w/o stiffening the ride, and keep the truck low enough to make loading/unloading of gear, dogs, and dead hogs still relatively easy. 

If you wont be buying larger tires for a while, I would just install an additional main leaf in the rear packs,to hep with the current sag, possibly the front as well given they are likely worn after 36yrs of use.  This should cost you about $50/set, $25 for a set of used springs and $25 for longer ubolts and main leaf pins, and you can use any set of leaf springs that are long enough, as long as they are narrow enough to fit the u-bolts, just cut the eyes off the main, and install them them below your oem main.  If you start with a set long enough, you might be able to use just one set of leave for both the front and rear.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »
Thanks Snowtoy that's the kind of info I was hoping for when I originally posted this

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »
You could also look into air bags for the rear!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
Remember, big name lift kits, are generally too stiff, if you are looking to flex.  Alcan can build springs that flex and haul the weight you might be wanting.  But spendy tho.  If you can weld, or a buddy, find some 4 leaf Chevy 63" springs.  Load and flexibility.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
Lower your bump stops to match your loads. If you're running really heavy loads it should help to save your springs

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2018, 05:02:38 AM »
Have you thought about air shocks by chance?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
No i haven't really looked at air shocks. The amount of brush and crap i go through is hard on wires & I'm afraid the lines wouldn't live to long & i just never had air shocks that held up to well  " Back in the day " my old 76 Ford highboy had rear shocks that had coil springs built in on them, they were helpful...

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2018, 04:22:41 AM »
I am setting up my '80 as a capable work truck.  It is expected to wheel while hauling wood, a mobile welding shop, 55 gallon drums of DEF, tractor components, etc. Rarely had a day I drove it I hauled less then 500 lbs since I put it on the road again.  These are Old Man Emu medium rate with 1,680 pounds on them...

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Yotadekime

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Member since Aug '18
  • Danger first
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:25:55 AM »
If you want to spend less and still get good springs for hauling loads and providing a bit of lift, HD OME springs hands down (although if your loads are under 500 lbs I would get the MD springs). If you want it custom for more money, go Alcan. You could go for cheapo lift springs, but in my experience they ride like a dump truck unloaded.
Naturally a realist, preferably an optimist.