Author Topic: Will it work or not?  (Read 7695 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Will it work or not?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:30:25 PM »
Audio equipment lol forgot about that one. Back in the late 90's I'd have been drawn into that debate. Now I've lost touch and hearing

At least we all agree my transmission needs help & apparently so do I , so there's a start

Lucas will quiet you as well.... :boozer:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:57:17 AM »
No I haven't watched the video where Lucas foams.

Honestly the last 30 days I've watched, read  and looked into more information about lubrication products than ever before in my life. The one thing I've learned for sure is there's to many opinions on the topic to know who's correct & everyone is an expert in their own right. It seems there's also as much defense of one's personal beliefs on oils & lubrication products as there is political & religious topics

So I'll likely do what I've done with the last two topics , test things myself, study as unbiased as possible & use logic with my own reasoning to form my own beliefs. I'll undoubtedly get some things wrong and adapt my view with time & experience.

Thank you all for your opinions and information .

Very well stated!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:25:13 AM »
do you have a problem with me?   because I am getting quite fed up with your smart ass comments.   If you were not trying to piss me off you might have noticed I directly replied to a comment YOU MADE.
I have seen you come into numerous threads right behind me and word your remarks different but say the exact same thing as I have to try and contradict what I have said and I am getting fed up fast.   

What?

You said… “oil that thick might actually do more harm than good”

I said.... “I don't believe you can damage the gears or bearings by running heavier gear oil unless you’re
running your truck in sub-zero temperatures."

The Amsoil viscosity is too heavy.”

I agreed with you.

Then you said…. “maybe because the thick THICK viscosity may not circulate into the bearing and cause it to over heat because it was in effect starved of oil?”

Then you said…. “What??   why is that Amsoil too heavy??    I can't wait to hear this.  ”

Then I said… “250 lbs. of gear lube is a LOT of weight!!”  :gap:

THAT IS INTENDED TO BE A FUNNY!

Then I said… “The 250w gear oil is OK, but the reason I suggested a lower viscosity is because you have noise, which you have not been able to fully identify the source.  If you go too thick, at cold ambient temperatures, the synchros and other more critical components inside the tranny will not be messing and causing intermittent grinding.

AGAIN, AGREEING WITH YOUR COMMENTS!

Why would that piss you off??  :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:01:52 AM »
The thicker oil doesn't wash off the sycros as well, especially when cold.  It can make shifting a PITA.  im running a delo semi syn in mine and when its shitty cold out, the first half dozen shifts aren't smooth.  ;)
hold this. . .

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #34 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
The thicker oil doesn't wash off the sycros as well, especially when cold.  It can make shifting a PITA.  im running a delo semi syn in mine and when its shitty cold out, the first half dozen shifts aren't smooth.  ;)

he is in Oklahoma
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:47:26 AM »
hold this. . .

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
so... Oil will not fix anything but running a very heavy oil can keep oil from getting to all sections and nooks and tight spots. With that said we can get you taken care of with a rebuild kit (if you change your mind and want to take that on) or with a rebuilt unit when you are ready for that. This was an interesting topic 
Lets go camping

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
so... Oil will not fix anything but running a very heavy oil can keep oil from getting to all sections and nooks and tight spots. With that said we can get you taken care of with a rebuild kit (if you change your mind and want to take that on) or with a rebuilt unit when you are ready for that. This was an interesting topic 

... Yep... reads just like a salesman...  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :gap:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
... Yep... reads just like a salesman...  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :gap:

But will he answer the phone if we call?   :D Bazinga!
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
But will he answer the phone if we call?   :D Bazinga!

He has whenever I have called :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
He has whenever I have called :dunno:

There's just been another complaint on the forum about them not answering.  It was an attempt a humor...

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
Ahhh, touché.  I never laugh, just ask anybody who knows me.  I have barely ever called them but have always got through. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:09:21 AM »
Ahh man I hate to hear/see stuff like this we really do answer every call that we can as fast as we can. 
Lets go camping

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
Ahh man I hate to hear/see stuff like this we really do answer every call that we can as fast as we can. 

You guys do a great job and I have always been happy with your customer service.  I figure if you're busy that mean longevity for the business and more opportunity for product development.

It was intended as an inside joke given a very recent complaint that follows the somewhat normal pattern of someone signing up for the forum with their only intent to be a complaint resulting in a bit of a flaming.  We got your back!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:01:22 AM »
You guys do a great job and I have always been happy with your customer service.  I figure if you're busy that mean longevity for the business and more opportunity for product development.

I also have had great customer service and products from Marlin. I’ve said many times, if it weren’t for Marlin I would not have enjoyed wheeling my 85 shortbed for 10 years.

However….. when it comes a profit oriented sales-driven company, there are only two ways to increase profit – increase revenue (sales) or reduce costs (overhead).

There are 3 things that are absolutely key to successful business development….

Customer Service

Customer Service

and Customer Service

Gnarls.