Author Topic: No passenger seat and the stuff taking it's place  (Read 3175 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No passenger seat and the stuff taking it's place
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
My wife hates my rig and thinks that my 4wd hobby is a waste of time and money but, she is Jewish princess material from the glory days of the San Fernando Valley's "Valley Girl" and her theme song is from Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti album so I removed the passenger seat 2 years ago and do not miss worrying about how uncomfortable she or anyone for that matter may have been.
I keep a cheap Harbor Freight 3 gallon 110 volt compressor in the cab that I use with my inverter to air back up because I'm poor white trash and cannot afford a nice onboard air set up like the big boys have. It works good enough to get me home but, I got tired of how I had it held down with one red motorcycle tiedown  and how everything else just flopped around on the uneven floor.
A removable floor was my solution, a 2' x 4' piece of 3/4" plywood gave up it's life today so I could cut it into such a way that it would almost sit flat and flush only needing some small pieces added underneath to support it nice & solid so I can put coolers and tools neatly in the cab and not have the stuff just sliding all around.

The compressor sits on the little shelf against the back wall now and will be bolted to the shelf that is also removable and will be strapped or latched to the back wall.
Under the back shelf is my tarp and plastic safety cased Fiskar, why not use that space for storage.
Anyway, these little mods cost less than $20.00 for the new piece of plywood and the box of screws I had to buy because the 10lb bucket of screws I already had were way too short drywall screws.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I have one of those HF 3 gallon compressors (mine's the pancake one)

What's your inverter rated at?     What do you think is the smallest inverter that would work?

BTW,   the motor is a 120V DC motor,   it just uses a bridge rectifier to convert the AC to DC.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
My wife hates my rig and thinks that my 4wd hobby is a waste of time and money...

You have a very smart wife!!  :yesnod:

Gnarls.  :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have one of those HF 3 gallon compressors (mine's the pancake one)

What's your inverter rated at?     What do you think is the smallest inverter that would work?

BTW,   the motor is a 120V DC motor,   it just uses a bridge rectifier to convert the AC to DC.......
The inverter is a 3000 watt max and 1500 regular running wattage and with the stock 40 - 60 amp alternator, she operates on the borderline at idle but, when the truck is going down the rod and I turn on the compressor, she has no problem keeping up.
I need to either install the gm alternator I have or buy the Toyota 120 amp alternator and I dont want a GM part in my Toyota so we know what will happen eventually.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No seat and a flat even surface holds onto my Costco goodies no probs.