Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 2660 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Travel Trailers
« on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:34:57 PM »
I think this will be the year that we get a small travel trailer.  It needs to sleep four (we're thinking a bunk house model will work the best with the kids) and I want to avoid slide/pull outs and things that open up to avoid the need to open things up at home if we get wet.  I don't have a place to keep it at my house so it needs to require as little before and after care as possible.  Something like this link would probably be great:

https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/new-travel-trailer-rvs/2018-jayco-jay-flight-slx-154bh-bunkhouse-10k-HIL1434630

I'm not looking for a handyman project (you know my MO) so unless I can find a very nearly new one it'll probably be brand new.

I also want to keep the weight down in case the Sequoia goes down so that I'll have more options for a next vehicle.

Any recommendations, advice, or personal experience with brands, travel trailers in general, etc. to be passed along?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Snowtoy

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:11:18 PM »
Using the table to eat at and as a bed gets old pretty quick, may want to consider one that sleeps 5-6.

Something else to consider is how many times a year will you use it, if only a few times per year, as well as having to store it elsewhere, it may be easier/cheaper to just rent one,.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
Using the table to eat at and as a bed gets old pretty quick, may want to consider one that sleeps 5-6.

Something else to consider is how many times a year will you use it, if only a few times per year, as well as having to store it elsewhere, it may be easier/cheaper to just rent one,.

I hear you on the table bed, but I really don’t want one large enough to sleep that many.

Renting is probably not a bad plan but owning one will hopefully allow us to use it with less planning and more last minute. Only time will tell.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:07:51 AM »
less planning? that's your favorite part. I could not imagine you going anywhere without considerable planning.

All you see is Moab planning.  If we’re traveling with just our family weekend or overnight trips could be done pretty last minute.  Renting requires pickup and drop off around the planned trip, stocking and cleaning it out completely for each trip, etc.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:11:38 AM »
I can tell you from my personal experiences. If you are taking a family camping; the link you posted will do nothing but make you mad. You will feel as if you are trapped in a box. A camper without atleast 1 slide will give you cabin fever in no time if your stuck in there due to bad weather, especially when it is that small. Been there, done that, and hated it. You may be happy with what is commonly referred to as a "fema" trailer. 30' long, no slide but has bunk house in the back, couch bed, table bed, and an actual bed room up front. They can be had for less than the one posted above and can easily be towed by a 2003 double cab Tacoma with a 3.4. My father in law had one and used it like that for 10 years before moving to a 5er toy hauler.
A friend just got a 34' bumper pull that only weighs 5500lbs because it is all aluminum construction. Pulls it with a 2012 1500 Chevrolet.
I am in no way trying to be mean or say you have a bad idea by leaning in the direction of a small camper. I tell it from personal experience and seeing many, many, MANY friends make that same mistake and within the 1st year selling it, taking a big loss and starting over with atleast a cheap $13k 27' bumper pull.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018, 08:46:42 AM by redneckcustoms13 »
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »
Just make your kids build a primitive shelter out of whatever is laying around.  Then you don't have to plan on anything.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
Do the seats in your Sequoia not recline? :gap:

You may be happy with what is commonly referred to as a "fema" trailer. 30' long, no slide but has bunk house in the back, couch bed, table bed, and an actual bed room up front.

Might be kinda hard to get those since they were deployed for Hurricane Katrina and he lives in Washington. Don't those also have issues with formaldehyde? I'd rather have cabin fever than cancer
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
I meant that style of camper. Not a left over from Katrina.  :therethere:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Snowtoy

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Renting is probably not a bad plan but owning one will hopefully allow us to use it with less planning and more last minute. Only time will tell.

I would rent the size you are thinking of for an outing and see if it is acceptable, then rent one with two sets of beds and compare the outings

If you are willing to go just a little bigger, you can get a trailer w/3 actual beds, something like this 2018 Coachmen Apex Nano, is just 3 feet longer/300lbs heavier, and would be more convenient for a family of 4, especially if you camp in the rain often.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »
Airstream all the way!
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 04:44:12 AM »
Don't know for sure what costs hassles you have to put up with in the States, but rentals are not an option I would use.   $1500 to $ 1800 for five days, Monday to Friday.  Pickup after 9 AM monday drop off by 5 PM Friday. Don't miss the 5 PM drop off and be sure it is show room clean or you will pay for cleaning and Non-rental fee( loss of dealers ability to rent for weekend) of weekend rental rate. 

They like to put restrictions of usage as well.  No pets, No Alcohol, No private campgrounds( State and National Parks type places only).

You pay for five days use it for three and pay $1800 a week...
Do the math.  For test drive maybe, as a regularly planned weekend no way.

Camp five weekends( weekend/two days is same as five day rate) in a year and you pay out around $10,000