Author Topic: new to me 73 FJ40  (Read 15117 times)

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
new to me 73 FJ40
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
So i pulled the trigger last night on a deal i felt i could not pass up on a 73 FJ40:

some specs:
73 fj40 with hard top, bikini and soft doors included.
freshly rebuilt TBI 350 already wired
freshly rebuilt SM465
NP205
Dana 44 front, shortened with chromoly shafts
dana 60 semifloat rear, shorteded with Dutchman shafts
uninstalled 4.88's front and rear and rear detroit
brand new( but old) 35" KM1's
pile of associated parts from years of the PO collecting.

all in all i have about 3500 in it with trades and cash.

I was previously building this:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=99755.0

now to figure out what i am going to keep from the T100 build for the FJ and what is for sale because the wife will not let me build both or do i really have the time to.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
Re: new to me 73 FJ40
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »
got a little done on her lately.

in the garage

and the pile o parts

about 92" wheel base

probably about 64-1/2" wide with the axles that came in it.

bolted up my 37's still about 12" top of tire to top of fender. need to drop her some

pulled the dana and threw in my fj80 widened axle and swapped the springs around to gain about 4" to wheel base. 75" outside of tire to outaside of tire with the old axle and 35's not 84" with the fj80 and my 37's and rims.

pulled off the giant rear bumper. anyone need a rear winch bumper?

trying to get the motor stabbed in with he trans next to show conflicts with the 3 link as i am fabbing.
stay tuned.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:50:52 AM »
Your widened Toyota axles make it much better. I'm not much on the fj platform but I will be watching this one for sure.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »
thanks man. i know the landcruiser stuff is traditionally more of a old guy restoration project than avid wheeler but i have always loved the classic looks and simplicity of these things.

I figure if i build it and absolutely hate it i bet i can still sell it and build a t100. the t100 deals come by more often than the deal i got on the fj40.

on another note i got the motor and trans stabbed in this weekend:

not a big milestone but i really want to get the fenders and grill on also so i know what i need to avoid when building the front 3 link, or i should say what i need to figure out how to move....lol

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:37:44 PM »
badass man! ill for sure watch this one. so are you selling the t100?
are you using the toy axles opposed to the danas it came with? ( i hope so for the cool factor)

:popcorn:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
badass man! ill for sure watch this one. so are you selling the t100?
are you using the toy axles opposed to the danas it came with? ( i hope so for the cool factor)

:popcorn:
Yeah unfortunately this project puts the T100 on the chopping block. Good side is I have the parts from the T100 to use on this build or sell off for the right parts.  I am definitely using th Toyota axles over the Dana axles because they are wider and I have been building them for way too long to not use them. I will also be using the 3 link kit and coil overs on this.

I now just need to sell enough parts I am not using like the Dana axles, dual ultimate cases and v6 adapter to help pay for parts to finish the fj40. I am really hoping to get enough funds to throw a atlas behind the sm465 instead of the no205 I have for some crawl gearing.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
not a whole lot of progress but I did start upping the front suspension for the 3 link:

but now I have to pull the motor to swap out the transmission because this fell in my lap:

NV4500/atlas 3.8:1, old but never been run. got too good of a deal to pass up. just need to buy fluids for it and swap the yokes for Toyota.

I was going to leave the 4.10's in the axles with the sm465 to make the hwy bearable but now I have OD I can use the 5.29 gear sets already in my tool box and move some of the stress off my driveshafts and pinion flange. I am still planning on using Toyota driveshafts and u joints as I know them and i think they are plenty strong

I have not looked super close but I am assuming at this point my drivetrain weak link is going to be u joint or pinion flange splines. I guess only time will tell.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
not a whole lot done last night but I did get the yokes swapped out for toy flanges. turns out this atlas was built in 2002 so it was still a 26 spline front output and 32 spline rear. luckily  WFO down the road had a dana 44 to toy flange that fit the bill perfectly and a 32 spline toy flange for the rear.

also wire wheeled the nv4500 to give it a little paint to keep it from rusting any further.

hopefully this weekend I can pull the motor and get this bolted up and stabbed in. need to rebuild a new cross member now also.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
so not as fast getting them swapped as I hoped but that is life.

pulled the motor and trans last night but first had to build a little jack extension to put under the transmission because I was tired of the old stacking of wood block sketchiness.

I used a short piece of axle shaft and a scrap of 1/4" plate to fit on the jack and a tube and angle iron slip on attachment to get the extra height. this seemed a lot more stable than the 4x4's I used to stack on the floor jack to get extra height.

I did get the motor out so now to bolt up the new trans and transfer case and fab a cross member to hold it in place and then get to the links.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
engine in the fj40, take 2. This time with the NV4500/ Atlas bolted up.

still need to figure out the right height and build the cross member but I can tell you my engine hoist is glad that is over....

also looks like I only  have about 21" for the rear drive shaft with where the axle is now. I am so used to Toyota minitruck stuff where you have miles of rear drive shaft so this makes me really nervous.

I think with the rear leafs I have now I could probably push the axle back another 2-3" before I have to get into mounting the shackles off the back of the frame. do you guys out there in keyboard cowboy land think 24" long for a rear CV shaft? I need to figure angles based on final ride height because this thing is getting lowered a bunch, but 24" sounds short to me.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »
not a bunch to report but I finally received my knuckles and FROR keyed histeer arms back and I am pumped!!!! these things are BEEF!

I also purchased some ARP studs for the hi steer arms and the FROR Tacoma brake adapter kit so I can put first gen tundra front brakes on this:

I tried out this "Steel-It" paint given to me by one of our vendors. It is supposed to be super tough and durable and you can weld over the top of it they say. we will see how it works on these knuckles:

in this last picture you can see the machined part on the knuckle so the hi steer arm slides down over the top of the knuckle by roughly 1/4". should help keep some of the strain off of the studs.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »
I installed the ARP's and the stock bottom studs and then bolted the knuckles on with a temp tie rod to get ready to mock this thing up under the truck.

I think I grossly miss estimated the caster angle I tacked the knuckles on at  because the hi steer arms seem turned up really far but hopefully I can get it under the truck where I think ride height will be and turn them to be right and then start getting the link mounts in place.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
so a little more done over the weekend.

got the axle rolled under the truck and started planning location. I broke the tacks and rotated the knuckles to 7 degrees caster with the pinion pointed to the t case so it should be closer to actual now. just trying to figure out how far forward and how high to place bump right now.

where I have it in the pictures is about 1" from the tie rod hitting the frame, and the axle is about 4-1/2" forward from stock. If I move it back about 2" I can get the bump higher or I might have to notch the frame.  I really want to keep 6" uptravel from ride height and keep it as low as possible for CG reasons.
then I threw on the tires and fenders for some reference and motivation.

she is definitely wide! and I am definitely going to need to do some custom fenders but I am thinking moving the axle back 2" and notching the frame is where I will probably go next, just need to make sure firewall clearance is good for a 40 for possible future growth.

once i get the axle location figured out i plan on building the links backwards of most. i figure i will tack them in place where they fit well then throw those numbers in the calculator and then start massaging from there. i figured there was no reason to come up with link lengths and position in the calculator just to find out they wont work under the truck.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
:eye:
So sick!
Can't wait to see this thing in person.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:59:07 PM by :)bestgen4runner »
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
:eye:
So sick!
Can't wait to see this thing in person.  :thumbs:

thanks man. hopefully it will be in a driveable state by the time you get here!

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
not a big update but I finally got some time to work on her.

picked up two IFS CV drive shafts from a good friend for free and cut one apart to start mockup on the front shaft.

I got lucky and just happened to have some drive shaft tubing I was given by a friend a while back that looks to be real close to the right length.  only buzz kill is my Toyota flange on the atlas does not have the CV pattern so I am going to have to take it off and drill it for the new pattern.

I also tacked in the lower links and raised the axle until the tie rod would hit the frame to see how it would look. this will require some notching for the drag link for sure but would gain me 2" of up travel hence lowering the ride height 2".  right now the lower links are 44" eye to eye and I think the upper is going to end up around 36-40" I think.

in the last two pictures you can see I started to try and place the upper link in there and it is tight. if I had it strait up and down it would contact the nut on the fan belt.  I angled it back to where I think it would fit at full bump and have a little clearance for adjustment but it brings my vertical separation down to around 6" which is slightly concerning. I am also going to probably have to bend my upper link some to clear the motor mount unless I rework the motor mount too.

if I can make this as my full bump it would put my frame height at full bump around 16.5" so if I add in 5" up travel it would put me about 21.5" to frame at ride height, then 2" down or so for the belly pan would make the belly around 19.5".  this is a little low but I can always turn the shocks up to around 6" up travel and get my belly over 20 if needed.

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
What is the vertical separation you are shooting for. Can you extend the mount to get it.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
What is the vertical separation you are shooting for. Can you extend the mount to get it.

I have a feeling if I extend the bracket at all I will end up getting into the accessories and other belts. I think on the top hole in my adjustable mount I should be able to get to 7" of separation. I am just not sure if that will be enough. back to searching build threads to see what others have gotten away with.

I can always break the tacks on the lowers and rotate them down but then it will put the lower less flat at ride height which I was trying to avoid. and they become a rock anchor.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
so a little more:

I got the atlas flange drilled for the CV pattern for the front drive shaft and threw that in and dropped the axle 5" on my axle holding jig to estimate ride height.  then I threw together a temp drag ling from some extra SS pipe I had laying around.

I am liking how flat the drag link is around ride height but I think I might see if a flat pittman arm with the hiem below woud help raise the steering box end just slightly and help keep it from being the low point when at full bump.
I also measured the lower links and they are about 3 degrees upward at full bump and about 4 degrees down at ride height. I think this is decently flat so should have ok manners on the road.

then I threw a fender and tire on at the estimated ride height for a visual.

looks a lot less crazy wide down near ride height. I am definitely going to have to build tube fenders or move these fenders up to hood level almost to clear the tires when articulated.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
no real big updates besides this thing will be being put on hold for a while. I just accepted a new position in Yakima WA so I will be moving and needing to find a new home before I can start work on it again.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2018, 09:11:50 PM »
I did get her rolling though and moved to Spokane for a while until I can get our houses sold and new housing figured out

I packed inside with all my spare parts and a lot of tools.

I think I might look for different wheels though. I was about a 1/2" wider than my trailer is inside the fenders. having a little less offset would make loading a lot nicer.

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »
What are the specs on the Hiems you used for the drag link and what size bit did you use on the Diamond knuckles
Thanks.?
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
What are the specs on the Hiems you used for the drag link and what size bit did you use on the Diamond knuckles
Thanks.?

I don't know too much about the hiems because they were given to me by my friend Mike Honcho but they are a 5/8" bolt. I had FROR drill the highsteer arms so I didn't have to.

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »
update this heap!!!   im here drooling and left hanging
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »
sorry man, not much to report on this project. she is sitting tarped in my front yard right now while we build our house.

the house build was slated to be finished april 30th then covid happened and in Washington residential construction is non essential. :smack:
here is where we are at right now:

just got he walls textured and the finishing delivered right before they paused construction.  hopefully they will be able to start back up soon.  We ended up buying 10 acres in Naches Wa and plan to start construction on the shop once the house build is finished but we will see what Covid says about that.

I will give you guys updates once I get the cruiser back in a place I can work on it. I a, chomping at the bit to get working on it again.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2020, 05:02:49 PM by ryantowry_81 »

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »
House looks awesome Ryan. Glad to see You still check in. This stuff will be in the rear view mirror soon enough.
How's everything else in Your life doing?
Fill us in? feels like forever.

I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #27 on: Apr 21, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
House looks awesome Ryan. Glad to see You still check in. This stuff will be in the rear view mirror soon enough.
How's everything else in Your life doing?
Fill us in? feels like forever.

Thanks man, we were hoping to be moving in right now but damn Covid.

Yeah I have been meaning to touch base on here but have been crazy busy with work and trying to get a house built. hopefully soon we can get residential construction back to work and we can get moved into the house and landcruiser progress will pick back up.

Life has been interesting. the hop business has been exploding so work has been busy and now we are getting into the hemp realm so it has expanded further. I have been Promoted to Director of engineering so that is cool but it just means more work.

I have been using the wifes sequoia  to explore some of the local fire roads and there is a insane amount of trails around Naches so I am excited to get a true built rig done again and get to explore the more technical ones. 

How has life been for you?

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #28 on: Jun 09, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
no big updates but we are having our final inspection today to get occupancy for the house. hopefully next week we will be moving things into the house including the fj.

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2020, 10:46:13 AM by ryantowry_81 »

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
well I fed the addiction further and drove over to Aberdeen WA and picked up this girl to thrash on while I get the garage setup and FJ40 in there:

I will probably borrow the Spartan locker from the FJ40 for now and throw it in the back, mount a winch and just go camp with her. maybe do some sanding and rattle can it Tan once I get tired of the multi color.