Author Topic: 82 Toyota 22r low oil pressure  (Read 1213 times)

gopedal

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
82 Toyota 22r low oil pressure
« on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
I have a 22r in a 4wd 82 toyota. After crawling for a bit the oil light comes on and won't go off unless you let it cool down.  I changed the filter and oil because it had been a while. The red light was on when I shut it off before the oil change. The filter was empty! Thought that odd. Changed the oil and filter - same problem.  No engine knocks, didn't let it run beyond a few seconds with the light on.

Bought a new oil pump and put it on but haven't buttoned it up yet.  The old pump seemed to be within tolerances. Any ideas what might be wrong if not the pump?

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: 82 Toyota 22r low oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:18:19 AM »
Check for a short in the oil pressure switch wire?

My suggested protocol:
1) Warm the truck up until the oil pressure light comes on. Turn it off, quick.
2) WITHOUT unplugging the pressure switch, check that it's wire has continuity to ground. If it does, this is as should be.
3) Unplug the wire from the pressure switch, and check for continuity wire to ground and switch terminal to ground.
    -- Switch terminal to ground continuity means bad switch or low oil pressure.
    -- Unplugged wire to ground continuity means a wiring fault.

In the first case, I suggest trying a switch replacement. But I'm shooting in the dark there.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2017, 02:27:10 AM »
I have a 22r in a 4wd 82 toyota. After crawling for a bit the oil light comes on and won't go off unless you let it cool down.  I changed the filter and oil because it had been a while. The red light was on when I shut it off before the oil change. The filter was empty! Thought that odd. Changed the oil and filter - same problem.  No engine knocks, didn't let it run beyond a few seconds with the light on.

Bought a new oil pump and put it on but haven't buttoned it up yet.  The old pump seemed to be within tolerances. Any ideas what might be wrong if not the pump?

I would not start buying and installing parts without diagnosing the problem. (unless bgen says so..LOL)

How many miles on this engine? Does it burn any oil?  Any motor oil leaks?

I assume you checked the oil level and it was full?  So you eliminated a low oil level issue, right?

When you were "crawling" was the truck at a steep angle?

What oil are you using?

What is your ambient air temperature?

Depending on how long the truck sat before you drained the oil and removed the oil filter, most, if not all, oil filters will be drain overnight.

You can buy a very inexpensive oil pressure gauge and verify you have proper oil pressure.  THEN if you want, figure out the oil pressure light issue.  You can also buy an oil pressure switch for $3 or $4.

It is not unusual to see very low oil pressure when crawling at very low RPMs.

You can also call Wells and talk to their technical people:

http://www.wellsve.com/wells_tech.html

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2017, 02:56:45 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:23:28 AM »

Hey gopedal,

It's been 5 days since you posted your question.

What's happening?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein