Author Topic: Axle Build Issues  (Read 1933 times)

tacoma_2002

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Member since May '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Axle Build Issues
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
I'm on the home stretch of finishing my Tacoma SAS and I've encountered a slight issue.

Relevant axle specs are as follows
TG Rock Assault housing
FROR Tacoma Brake kit (using IFS hubs machined down)
Longfield 30 Spline Axles/Birfs

I put everything together a couple nights ago and when it came time to install the lockout it wouldn't line up with the dowel pins in the hub assembly.  Upon further inspection I noticed the outter stub of the birfield is not sitting centered in the spindle.  The birfield spins feely with the spindle off but binds when the spindle is on.  I replaced the spindle bushings before starting and am using all new parts (other than the donor hubs, spindles and knuckles).  I have my knuckles shimmed with equal shims +/- .001 top and bottom to achieve around 15 lbs on the pull scale.

I will note that when I installed the shafts the inner shafts were super snug in the carrier. I figured this was because I welded the carrier prior to installation or because the axle shafts were brand new.  I gently tapped them with a deadblow until they seated firmly against the centering pin. 

Are the axles set in too deep or do I have other issues going on?  Before starting I checked the birfield clearance inside the knuckle with the birf attached to the spindle and it didn't have any binding or clearance issues...now that I've got this thing good and greasy its being a thorn in my side.

Anyone run into a similar issue before?

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Axle Build Issues
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »
I welded a carrier once and it cocked the sidegear. Caused a similar issue.  Was more pronounced in DS.
hold this. . .

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »
If you had the SST to set-up the front end you would find that the top and bottom shims are not the same amount. The bottom are how you center the knuckle to the housing, the top shims are for setting pre-load. I would say your knuckle is not centered.

But then again it is a POS TG housing so who knows what could be wrong with it. I saw a picture of one on POR and the balls were not welded on straight.

You pay for quality, well worth it in the end!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

tacoma_2002 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
I was able to find that I didn't have the axles out far enough to align with the spindle bushing correctly. 

I got the housing together but the outer birfield shaft is riding super low in the spindle.  I'm guessing I've not got the shims installed correctly.

Maybe it is a POS housing but I feel it will suit my needs.  I had heard stories about the caster issue and other things so I checked both knuckle balls as well as housing trueness with an alignment bar as soon as it arrived, so I don't believe either of these things are an issue for my particular case.

I opted to go with this one due to its shaved design and offset knuckle balls for ground clearance.  I could've had a Diamond for a couple hundred more but I was looking into 42's and FJ80 outers which then blew my budget away.

I'll start looking into shimming my

tacoma_2002 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »
Started shimming on the bottom and got the birf centered then shimmed the top for proper preload. Rookie mistake.

Thanks for the insight!