Author Topic: Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!  (Read 73130 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!
« on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
Many of you may remember the 1980 pickup I snagged a few years ago:   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60079.msg744011#msg744011

That thing has been far and away the favorite vehicle I have ever owned.  Since then I have wheeled the heck out of it, camped with it, daily driven it, drag raced it, road tripped it, herded cows with it, towed mules with it, hauled most of our firewood for the last 8 years, towed trailers, skidded logs, brought home whole dead cows, rescued multiple other vehicles with it, built a house with it.  Danged thing will start at -20 F, and colder if you start a fire under it.  Broke all the plastic pieces off it twice over.  35s fit with only 1.5" of lift.

I got in the habit of hauling large square bales of alfalfa, weighing in at about 1,500lbs, then strapping the bale to a tree and driving out from under them dumping the clutch to unload.  This finished off what was left of the all ready hammered bed.

Right after we got it I welded the rear and added an aussie locker up front, which gave it instant street cred as a sleeper on the trail.  Took power steering off some old axles I got in trade which helped keep my thumbs intact. I added rears up front and some home fabed shock hoops which gave it pretty decent flex up front, despite the low ride height and push-pull steering.  Made a winch bumper and added my Warn M8000.  Made some square tube sliders. The torque rod did un-install itself from the frame after a while  :gap:.  That's the way we used it for the last few years.

The 20r is all original and now leaks so much out of every orifice that we quit driving it on the road and now we just haul water with it, about 1,670 lbs a load.

All this time I have never been stranded in it.  Sometimes I have limped it home on duck tape, bailing wire and pieces of ball point pen.

Biggest problem I have had is in the winter you get so much moisture from the frozen cow piss mud on the floor boards that it corrodes up the fuse block.  Then you have to take a wire brush to the fuse block and get all the green stuff off for everything to work again.

We had planned to put an engine in the truck next year.  The 20/22r Hybrid in my 4runner took a dump last month so I took inventory of what I had and started building a kind of hot 20r with the intention of getting the 4Runner back up, then after remembering that I was wishing for a pickup all last summer while hauling greasy parts and lumber in the 4Runner, I decided to put the 20r in the old pickup.  The 4Runner has been an ongoing project and a big red idol reminding me of all the out of state trails I never have time or money to make it to and making me wish I was about 15 years younger.  In the background the poor old neglected '80 has been earning it's keep and running happily on left-overs, providing service and fun the whole time.

I was going to sell the 4Runner, less an engine for a good deal and put a bit of the proceeds into the pickup.  After doing a little math and planning my end goal I decided the best route for time and money would be to take everything off the 4Runner that was bolt on and put it under the truck.

The end goal will be an unassuming, modest looking pickup with a hot engine, more drivetrain beef than it needs and all the crawl ratio I can put together with the parts I all ready have plus adapter I will buy when I sell the 4runner.  I will try to make everything bolt on and as close to stock style as possible, where if something goes you can just swap another piece in, rather than having to grind it all off and fab again. The exception would be moving the front end up a bit and maybe a fabricated t-case cross member. I am determined to use the stock push-pull steering though and keep it really low.  I want it to end up laced with clever one off cheap tricks. This will be an all around vehicle, tailored for what I use it for, not what I wish I had time to use it for.  It will not be the biggest, baddest or the flexiest.  I plan to build what I need not what I want.

If all goes as planned it can do work, trail and DD duty on some 33s and just barely fit some 36" Iroks or whatever fat meats for some big snow on the weekends.

So begins the super-sleeper 1st gen build!

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2017, 03:22:28 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:22:37 AM »
Here I go at 3:30 AM, in the dark and in the dirt.  Some people go the gym. Pfff.

Have to start somewhere so I installed 5.29/Spooled rear third...  Should be adequate for the 32" Nankang Mudstars :)...

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2017, 09:55:48 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

LiveWire64

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »
Love the 79-83 Toys.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:30:42 AM »
Love the 79-83 Toys.

Yeah the 1st gen 4x4 hilux is the flat-fender of the Toyota pickups  :biggthumpup:
– Steve McQueen

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
I'm all for early Toyota of this era, but is there any way you can keep this and your 4runner? You've done so much to it, it seems a shame. All those pictures in the first post are excellent though.
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
I'm all for early Toyota of this era, but is there any way you can keep this and your 4runner? You've done so much to it, it seems a shame. All those pictures in the first post are excellent though.

I know what you mean, but this decision has more to do with a re-arranging of priorities than vehicle preference.  The 4Runner, or rather that vehicle over the years has always been my drug of choice, other woman, whisky, my addiction if you get my meaning.  I bought it new in 1994 as a pickup, did the typical chrome and rims of the era, cruised around, fire roading and wheeling.  Got a little more serious in my 20s and did an IFS build with a flatbed, lockers, t-case. I kind of became the local big dog and started a wheeling scene.  That was a splendid ego trip.  We even had groupies, which I didn't realize at the time (my wife did though :))  After a roll over by a buddy and another truck body and SAS, I swapped the 4runner body on there, did the 3RZ, on the premise of making it the family vehicle.  This kind of worked for a while too, but my real intention was simply to make it necessary to keep it going and justify a big toy and keep the budget flowing in that direction.

Wheeling never really worked out with the 4runner, not that it wasn't great on the rare occasion I got to use it, but using it for what it was intended for never really fit into life. The pickup on the other hand is always being used, constantly fun while doing so and has never really been the "golden calf" to me. So when I had the engine out this time I took a good look at what it really is, and that's an idol.  I'm not saying I take food out of my kid's mouth to buy parts, but my priorities have always been pretty screwed up about it. There is a ton of resentment tied up on that vehicle. My wife and I only fight about three things, money, in-laws and the 4Runner, which brings us back to the money.  I think I just have too much history with it to be rational and I finally saw it for what it is.  It's time to let the thing go and put my relationship with vehicles into perspective a bit.

I am not intending to drop out of the scene or become any less of a Toyota geek, I just need to simplify and make a healthy relationship with the hobby instead of it being like gambling, heroin or prostitutes.  If I'm not maintaining a whole extra vehicle I may even be able to afford a wheeling trip now and then too  :thumbs:

What can I say I'm getting old :).
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2017, 03:16:55 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
-snip-

that just seems like pretty normal behavior for a toyota guy...or a mopar guy, I think they're weirder than us :gap:

good luck with the 4runner and the 80!
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
300K you won't have to worry about coming to your senses for at least another 20 years. Enjoy it while it lasts :)
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »
This morning at stupid-thirty I continued to chip away at the drivetrain swaperoo.  Wind was blowing 30 mph but it was in the 40s so not too cold.

Really wanted to take my nice trussed, gusseted housing but the u-bolt flip stuff wouldn't clear the stock steering on the '80 and the stock 1980 hardware wont quite fit on the nice '85 housing because the bottom truss is a different shape and size on the drivers side.  Oh well, I will work on that housing next year when I do a good knuckle job on it and some new front springs.

Took apart the front end of the 4Runner yesterday and today I took apart the spindles on the '80 and played in some "birf soup".  Got the nice fresh 5.29/aussie locked front diff in it.  Needs some more clean up, inner axle seals, brake pads and fresh grease before I put the marfield axles in it and button it up.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2017, 08:16:03 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »
I like this idea!!! swap the cases and everything over to the truck man. make a stockish 4runner to sell.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »
I like this idea!!! swap the cases and everything over to the truck man. make a stockish 4runner to sell.

After adding up what it would cost to replace the parts I am stripping I have determined there is no other way.

G2 Ring & Pinions w/master kits & solid spacer sleeves:  $740
Aussie Locker                                                              $299
Spool                                                                          $119
4.7 Marlin T-Case                                                      $1,300
Long Spline front driveshaft                                          $549
27 Spline Marfields                                                       $278
AllPro T-Case E-Brake                                                   $349
Warn M8000                                                                $640
Optima Blue Top                                                          $276
Total...                                                                      $4,274

There is no way I could get anywhere near that for the 4runner in this region, especially with no engine. That's not even taking into account the AF gauge, weber stuff, header and LCE bits for the engine.  Probably another $1,000 there.

Plus I am helping get my boys wheeling too.  Caleb got my 35s and rims REALLY cheap and he will get the t-case e-brake which he badly needs (no e-brake on his rig).  I am donating my 4.37/Aussie Locker/Welded thirds from the '80 to Jake for his '83. He wants to just run 31s so that will be perfect.  So all of us will at least have good gearing for the tires we are running and all 4 tires going.  Should be able to have some fun times with three set up Toyotas.  :biggthumpup:

Interesting that the typical build costs probably $5K in parts now.  Seems like it used to be cheaper.  Maybe I was just fooling myself.

I figure I can still get something for the carcass with the suspension and hy-steer intact and the interior and body in good shape.  Somebody can just add their parts from whatever raisinized crawler they happen to have  :D.

Hope to get enough to fund a dual adapter and a top shift conversion kit for the 4.7 case.  More would be great, I need some slightly larger tires too :)
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2017, 01:32:10 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
One thing to consider, when you have the cash: My truck is a working truck, not a wheeling truck, and the GoLight I put on it last summer is pretty handy for work; I've used it for getting gates in the dark, looking for/at animals at night, and rescuing my Daihatsu. Once winter really sets in around here, I'm sure I'll be using it to see while I dig snow.

It's not a good off-road light, but it's been a really nice work light. Since you're building a truck to work, you might want one, too. They occasionally have reconditioned ones for a little over $100

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
We used to just run a tractor light on the headache rack facing backward.  That was awesome for winter time chores.
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
That works too... You could even build a swiveling mount.

I will say, though, that my GoLight is brighter than most headlights, and control from inside the cab is nice. I don't know, though, if it is $100 worth of nice.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
spectacular. Thats awesome
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2017, 04:28:04 PM »
We used to just run a tractor light on the headache rack facing backward.  That was awesome for winter time chores.
order an led one, more light and way less power.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,218
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2017, 02:57:20 AM »
Many of you may remember the 1980 pickup I snagged a few years ago.....

That thing has been far and away the favorite vehicle I have ever owned.  Since then I have wheeled the heck out of it, camped with it, daily driven it, drag raced it, road tripped it, herded cows with it, towed mules with it, hauled most of our firewood for the last 8 years, towed trailers, skidded logs, brought home whole dead cows, rescued multiple other vehicles with it, built a house with it.  Danged thing will start at -20 F, and colder if you start a fire under it.  Broke all the plastic pieces off it twice over.  35s fit with only 1.5" of lift.

I got in the habit of hauling large square bales of alfalfa, weighing in at about 1,500lbs, then strapping the bale to a tree and driving out from under them dumping the clutch to unload.  This finished off what was left of the all ready hammered bed.

The 20r is all original and now leaks so much out of every orifice that we quit driving it on the road and now we just haul water with it, about 1,670 lbs a load.

All this time I have never been stranded in it.  Sometimes I have limped it home on duck tape, bailing wire and pieces of ball point pen.

If all goes as planned it can do work, trail and DD duty on some 33s and just barely fit some 36" Iroks or whatever fat meats for some big snow on the weekends.

So begins the super-sleeper 1st gen build!

This is a powerful testimonial for the reliability, dependability, utility, maintenance, durability, value, and cost of ownership of an early Toyota truck.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
Yeah this truck has been one of those good ones that all the hype was based on :).  I wish it could tell it's whole story.  It must have had an interior cage in it at one time because it had holes drilled in the floorboard like you would do for the floor plates.  It was either rolled or something too because the top of the cab is grafted on from a yellow one.  It has a bullet hole through the passenger inner fender that would have gone through the radiator based on the angle.

When I first got it, the poor thing pulled HARD to one side when you hit the brakes.  I bled the brakes and found regular hydraulic fluid on one side and brake fluid coming out the other.  After I got brake fluid in all lines it worked fine.
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
Yeah this truck has been one of those good ones that all the hype was based on :).

I want one of those someday... Who made them?

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »
I want one of those someday... Who made them?

you just have to keep buying them until you get a good one. the good ones for cheap are usually side of the road stuff (he got Rexy for 250 bux) and not on craigslist. you might get lucky on craigslist if you get a fresh listing but if the truck has been listed for 3 months or so, be weary. if it was worthwhile someone would have nabbed it, and they saw something you might not.

I saw this truck in person, it is a total sleeper in current configuration in that it will drive when you otherwise wouldn't think it would. I can't imagine it with a bunch of trick running gear haha
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »
These birfs are actually "Bellfields" made for Marlin back in the day before Marfields came about.  Old school with the welded ring and then heat treated.  I figure with the massive gearing upgrade in store for this pickup I had better use them.

Cleaned out the birf soup and packed them with some fresh grease.  Installed some new inner seals. That's all I got done this morning because I had to dig a L52 out of the shed and haul water for the house...

– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,218
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2017, 02:18:08 AM »
you just have to keep buying them until you get a good one. the good ones for cheap are usually side of the road stuff (he got Rexy for 250 bux) and not on craigslist. you might get lucky on craigslist if you get a fresh listing but if the truck has been listed for 3 months or so, be weary. if it was worthwhile someone would have nabbed it, and they saw something you might not.

After buying, driving, and maintaining 14 Toyota vehicles since 1986, I must have been extraordinarily lucky because ALL 14 have been "a good one".

A "fresh listing" on Craig's List or how long the ad remains has virtually nothing to do with the value, how good a deal it might be, or it's condition.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
I dropped the trans and t-case out of the 4runner and dug out an L52, 2 t-cases and a W56A.  My 4runner 4.7 case is a forward shift. After looking over what it takes to top-shift convert the t-case and playing with the various trans I have I decided to use the W56A and regular duals.

My reasons why go like this...

By the time you top shift convert the forward shift case you have done the same labor as building a crawl box.

I like the shift feel of the W56A way better than the L52.

Using the W56A I would all ready be changing drive line length, so why not use duals.

I thought about dual ultimates but I just don't think I need that for this pickup.

This truck gets used for a lot of muddy work duty where the stock low range would be useful.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2017, 07:42:52 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
W56A is stronger too.

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
Quote from: H8PVMNT
This truck gets used for a lot of muddy work duty where the stock low range would be useful.

I am actually pretty impressed with the standard low range gears in mine. In first gear and 4L I can stroll along next to my Hilux so for going through mud I think they are sufficient.

By the way, I read your response to your last quote and fair enough, I understand. Good luck with the project 👍
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
It was snowing lightly and 20 degrees this morning so I started up the shop heater...

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
I wanted to get the spindles weather proof again with the precipitation showing up.  The rotors on the '80 were pretty rough from lots of mud and worn out pads.  I dug through my shed and way in the back in a milk crate I found a set of rotors on wheel bearing hubs that had been turned years ago but were kind of rusty from sitting on whatever front end I got them off of.

I found some wheel bearing hub seals from Napa that were Japan instead of China and $4 instead of $12.  They are from their "ATM" line which seems to be mostly Japan sourced.  PN 221 7203

I scrapped off most of the rust and cleaned up the wheel bearings with some gas and carb cleaner.  After the bearings dried up I packed them with fresh grease and put it all together.

That's what I did before the sun came up  :biggthumpup:

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2017, 03:22:06 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
You’ve got my attention.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:04:24 AM »
Ahem, sniff, eeeemu, cough, cough...
– Steve McQueen

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
I wanted to get the spindles weather proof again with the precipitation showing up.  The rotors on the '80 were pretty rough from lots of mud and worn out pads.  I dig through my shed and way in the back in a milk crate I found a set of rotors on wheel bearing hubs that had been turned years ago but were kind of rusty from sitting on whatever front end I got them off of.

I found some wheel bearing hub seals from Napa that were Japan instead of China and $4 instead of $12.  They are from their "ATM" line which seems to be mostly Japan sourced.  PN 221 7203

I scrapped off most of the rust and cleaned up the wheel bearings with some gas and carb cleaner.  After the bearings dried up I packed them with fresh grease and put it all together.

That's what I did before the sun came up  :biggthumpup:

you never cease to amuse me with your utilization of resources. love it man!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8