Author Topic: Annoying Orange, 20r Build for the 1980 Pickup  (Read 56787 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
So, you're cryo treating the engine now............

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
So, you're cryo treating the engine now............

:think:

:laugh:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
H8PVMNT,

First, I commend you for your incredible persistence and scrounging ingenuity!... and in adverse conditions! :biggthumpup:

If you had not documented your project so well, I might have had trouble believing it.  :suprised:

You are testimony to the power of the human will and perhaps a new level of engine-building-frugal-ness!!  :beerchug:

I’m very anxious to read about your engine break-in and after you do your tweaking.  :gap:

If I get a chance to get to Highwood, MT, I’m going to buy you and family a nice dinner!! :beer:  .....

If you get a chance to make it near Casa Grand, AZ… .breakfast, lunch, or dinner is on ME.  :beerchug:   ......

.....IF.... I get to go for a ride in your hot-rod!!  :driving:

Gnarls. :D

This is a cheap one I am curious about it myself.  I think I will wait until it's at least in the 30s to fire it. We came home from vacation with temps ranging from -13 to -29.  Really fun after surfing in the 60 degree water in southern CA.

You are welcome anytime!  Just give me a couple weeks notice if you are up this way so we can clear out our schedule.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Getting ready to fire this engine soon...
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
 :popcorn:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
SHHHH. the master is at work!
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Finally fired it up.  Dropped in Wal-Mart 10W30 with about a half a bottle of that Lucas engine break in stuff.  I cranked for about 40 seconds with the coil wire unhooked to get the fuel and oil up.  Caleb turned the key while I shot the footage.  It has a vac line leaking and an open header here but this is the first fire...

https://youtu.be/hCkWcJIRp4A
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Finally fired it up.  Dropped in Wal-Mart 10W30 with about a half a bottle of that Lucas engine break in stuff.  I cranked for about 40 seconds with the coil wire unhooked to get the fuel and oil up.  Caleb turned the key while I shot the footage.  It has a vac line leaking and an open header here but this is the first fire...

https://youtu.be/hCkWcJIRp4A

HOLY CRAPITY!!   

:bowdown: H....  That is proof, to me, that your engine building ability is *remarkable!

*I still want to know what caused the failure at 40,000 miles?  :dunno:

It also proves, to me, that a carb'd engine can be fired - first time after rebuild - with simply spark and fuel!!

.... Don't need no stink'n ECU, finicky sensors, O2 sensor, or fuel injectors!  :thumbdown:

I am still fighting my 22RE's sensors and cold starts!  Before I started my rebuild, my gut said "Drop the ECU and sensors, and fuel injection, Gnarls!  My 1985 22R was the best truck I have owned.

I am very curious about following along with your break-in and how your engine performs.

GREAT JOB!!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :gap:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Carbs are simple. Propane is just as simple. I like efi but not the junk used on 22re. Looks like she is running nice and smooth. Now get your butt out there and get the exhaust and hood on.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Nice work h8pvmnt.  I do see the attraction to those old caruetors despite me liking efi. I heared you could reference any old Briggs n Stratton manual to work on a 22r?

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Dang nabbit. Didn't log on much yesterday and I missed the first fire. Nice job!

H8PVMNT, a greasy thumbs up back at you! :)
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Aisin carburetor on a 22r is actually quite complicated to be a carburetor. Weber is super simple. Just not so great off road.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
 :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Thanks fellas! It was nice to hear it run. For once I put the distributor on the ight tooth the first time too.

Gnarls I promise we will tear down that other 22r and do as good an autopsy as we can on it.  I am also super curious what went on it.  I've never had one get that kind of blow by in any amount of miles and I've done some shady rebuilds before :).
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I went on and started the engine again, bumping it up to about 1,600 rpms for 20 minutes in an attempt to follow Jim Putney's cam break in procedure. After that I noticed a new oil drip under the bell housing.  The rear main was leaking, which seems to be contagious on this forum among fresh re-builds.  Off went the trans. The unknown source rear main I had in my $15 craigslist gasket set pushed in with little more than thumb pressure and apparently popped out just as easy when the engine got running.  It was in there kind of half spat out at a funny angle.  At least it was clear where the leak was coming from. 

I didn't have another new rear main, so I dug through my box of recent tear downs and found a really nice, blue, pliable, un-worn looking rear main all ready in the cast thing.  This truck always does well on left overs and we love removing and installing heavy drivetrain components so what the heck  :gap:.

The old leftover one doesn't leak by the way.

I am posting a pic of the way to stick a couple fasteners in the flywheel and a pry bar in the frame to remove the flywheel bolts on the rather free-spinning engine.  I am posting this because I took me until this year to realize I could do this and I'm 42 so for all the other dummies out there   :thumbs:...

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2018, 08:05:09 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I have a little over 4,000 miles on this engine so far and it is running great.  Still love the 22re performance 282 cam.  Oh yeah, the used rear main seal started leaking :hammerhead:.  I'll drop the trans again and put a nice one in there.
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I have a little over 4,000 miles on this engine so far and it is running great.  Still love the 22re performance 282 cam.  Oh yeah, the used rear main seal started leaking :hammerhead:.  I'll drop the trans again and put a nice one in there.

Hey H,

I’m very glad to read that your engine in running great.  I am still interested in that cam profile.  I need to do more comparisons with the specs I have on it.   :thumbs:

Have you re-checked your valve lash?  What did Jim spec the valve lash at?  :gap:

On the rear main seal…. That would be another seal that I would NOT compromise on, because I HATE dropping the tranny!!  That seal is very inexpensive.  There are a number of top aftermarket manufacturers who make the part.  I’d probably go with Toyota, Timken, Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley, or Mahle.  I like the Beck Arnley product I’ve purchased lately.  :blah:

It’s nice to read some words from your neck of the woods! :beerchug:

Gnarls. :greengrin:

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Jim says .007-.008 intake and .010-.011 Exhaust.  I will re-adjust at my next oil change.  I figure this is a real break in point for the valve lash.
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Jim says .007-.008 intake and .010-.011 Exhaust.  I will re-adjust at my next oil change.  I figure this is a real break in point for the valve lash.

Can you compare 282 cam with any other cam you have experienced?

My dyno data still has the C261C as producing very impressive numbers?

I would really like to have you swap in a 261C and see what difference, if any, if makes.  Have you ever swapped a cam without removing the head?

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Oh that would be fun.  I have ran a DOA 272 in a 22re and it was pretty good but I find this to be better.  I had a NWOR cam, one that was a low end grind in my first 22re.  It lugged down nice but was ottherwise meh...  Not really apples to apples since this is a carb 20r.

This truck is fast becoming my daily work mule so I don't want to mess with it that much, however a test bed truck would be great fun.  I think it should be a typical 22r truck without sweet gearing so we get a good baseline.  Then pull the same hills and accelerate in the same fashion in the same places to get some real comparison numbers and then describe the seat of the pants feelings.

I have a free '84 long bed coming down the pipeline.

Think we could get some free cams?
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The DNJ bits I have ordered so far were from an online outfit: https://www.partsology.com/  Main reason I went with them is I liked their search and they have the 20r bits listed and figured out.  Prices were great and I have gotten everything the next day every order so far. There has been a bit of discussion on where DNJ parts are manufactured.   I know engnbldr sells DNJ also and their parts may be from different sources.  I looked at my boxes from partsology.com and here is what I found...

The rod and main bearings:  CHINA

The head gasket:  TAIWAN

The valve cover set:  TAIWAN

The intake gasket:  CHINA 
(I'm sure Chinese paper is just as good as Taiwanese paper :) )

Trying to catch up on posts and let you guys know what worked and what hasn't.  So on the way home Thursday night at almost exactly 19,000 miles on this engine the DNJ head gasket went GUBoooSH!   Huge swath of white steam in my tail lights.

Luckily I was only a few miles from home and it didn't dump into the crank case.  It blew into #1.  No damage or polish on the cross hatch even.  I was very lucky not to have had more damage.  This gasket was leaking a cascade of oil by the front oil passage into the head for about the last month.  I was putting off replacing it utill warmer weather but now I had motivation.

Looking at the gasket it appears the Kanuder Ring   :gap: became detached from the gasket and got floppy.  You can see the blow out a the end of my greasy finger...

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 06:59:36 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I woke the boys up at 4:00AM on Friday morning and fed them a bunch of coffee and a great big logger breakfast.  They are getting pretty familiar with old Toyotas and wrenches.  They are also getting huge now and both tower over me.  It's to the point where I can tell them what the goal is and they can basically do it without any specific instructions.  Jake commented how much less stuff there was in my engine bay now :).

They had a dry work area set up an got it tore down in just over an hour...

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 07:01:28 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
This pic the flash didn't go off.  It's more true to the actual experience  :biggthumpup:...
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I decided to use this Toyota brand 22r head gasket that I traded Lewis Hein an ignitor or something for.  Thanks Lewis! I was considering ordering another 20r specific HG but after measuring the bored 20r block vs. the 22r head gasket bore it is within the realm of acceptable.

We really needed the truck going by Saturday to haul water so it was great to have just enough parts in stock to pull this off.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The 22re Performance 282 cam, which I still love, has only a little polish on the lobes after a rev happy 19,000 miles.  Looks to be wearing fine. 

While I had the head off I decided to reseal the timing cover, oil pan and replaced the slightly leaking front main seal with  "Type-T" Toyota seal that is thinner so it rides in an un-worn spot on the crank pulley.  I just happened to have that seal in my stash too. The oil pan was a cheap cork one, which shrank a lot and has been getting gooey.  Swapped to an later silicone style oil pan and used black Permatex on it. I'll miss the nice big 1st gen oil drain plug but I won't miss the leaky cork.

I used paper gaskets and Toyota black on the timing cover which was doing so-so.  I tried the Toyota black sealer only  this time because I had not more gaskets.  I let it tack up and sit overnight finger tight before torqueing.  We will see how that does.

I didn't have any more intake gaskets either so I used Permatex black and let it skin over real good.  I have no idea if this will work out but if it doesn't it's not too tough to replace intake gaskets.

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 06:51:56 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I just finished up Saturday afternoon in time to haul water.  Just in time to because we have a blizzard blowing in.   :biggthumpup:
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
 Looks like funn! The kind of fun that is more fun when you're back inside by the wood stove.

I hope that head gasket lasts you a while. Your ignitor is still going strong :biggthumpup:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
...  So on the way home Thursday night at almost exactly 19,000 miles on this engine the DNJ head gasket went GUBoooSH!  ….
Looking at the gasket it appears the Kanuder Ring   :gap: became detached from the gasket and got floppy.  You can see the blow out a the end of my greasy finger...

Hi H,

You may have already read this....

Here's the post I made on the DNJ head gasket I bought from engnbldr.

https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100729.0;message=1163383

Just my own assessment, compared to the other head gaskets I looked at, and my very limited experienced opinion..... that gasket is a piece of crap and whoever designed it is clueless.

I'll say what has been said many times, it's Chinese knock-off junk.

Gnarls.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
I've always been a fan of the 20R! Glad to see another build. If you do end up building this block again I'll let you know that the 22R pistons will be fine in a 20R block, did that MANY times in the '80s. Always had good luck with that combo.  :thumbs:
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

RN48

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The 22re Performance 282 cam, which I still love, has only a little polish on the lobes after a rev happy 19,000 miles.  Looks to be wearing fine. 

While I had the head off I decided to reseal the timing cover, oil pan and replaced the slightly leaking front main seal with  "Type-T" Toyota seal that is thinner so it rides in an un-worn spot on the crank pulley.  I just happened to have that seal in my stash too. The oil pan was a cheap cork one, which shrank a lot and has been getting gooey.  Swapped to an later silicone style oil pan and used black Permatex on it. I'll miss the nice big 1st gen oil drain plug but I won't miss the leaky cork.

I used paper gaskets and Toyota black on the timing cover which was doing so-so.  I tried the Toyota black sealer only  this time because I had not more gaskets.  I let it tack up and sit overnight finger tight before torqueing.  We will see how that does.

I didn't have any more intake gaskets either so I used Permatex black and let it skin over real good.  I have no idea if this will work out but if it doesn't it's not too tough to replace intake gaskets.

How's the timing cover doing with just the black FIPG? Any leaks?

How's the motor idle with the cam?

Thanks!  Enjoying your posts.