Author Topic: Hilux Max's 2016 2.8 Diesel Pickup Build  (Read 10959 times)

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Hilux Max's 2016 2.8 Diesel Pickup Build
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »
Hello Everyone.

I thought I should start a build thread on my current 2016 Toyota Hilux 4x4 (2.8 Diesel Auto) to share in my experience with you gentlemen from across the pond,  and to share collective experiences between the Hilux and Tacoma Brotherhood.

Background

I was extremely fortunate to have been welcomed into the Marlin Crawler Family with my previous 2007 Toyota Hilux that Marlin and Wyatt Scott installed a 4.7 geared beauty to the vehicle here in Australia back in 2010. This can be read about in Wyatts thread linked below for those intersted:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67634.0

That resulted in the final drive ratio going from around 28:1 to 155:1 in compound low on 35's and 4.5 diff gears.

The end result was this:

1. 2007 Hilux 3.0D4D Dual Cab SR A/T
2. KSP Axis front bar
3. 17x8 P0 Steel Wheels
4. 35/12.5x17 Maxxis Bighorns
5. ARB Airlockers front and rear
6. Nitro Thick Cut 4.5 front gears and Nitro 4.5 rear gears with solid pinion spacers
7. Marlin Crawler 4.7 Geared Crawl Box (155:1 Crawl Ratio in Compound Low)
8. Rocksliders
9. Dual Diaphram Brake Booster, Braided brake Lines, FJ calipers and slotted rotors, modified LPSV valve
10. And a few other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmT_oajbVo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIQuN9tWhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDTy9920T7o&t=36s

Current Build

It is a 2016 Dual Cab Toyota Hilux 2.8 Diesel 6 speed auto Pickup.

The plan was to not go as crazy with this build and keep it more reliable than the previous Hilux with long term reliability and longevity in mind. (But as we all know, over time those plans get thrown out). For now I am sticking to it.

So here I picked her up from the Dealership and the first modification I did was to get the dealership to organise the installation of a front E-Locker to suit the factory rear diff locker the vehicle came with. As well as a genuine intake snorkel.

Then came the suspension. I opted for the following:

Matrix height, open travel and 11 stage dampening front coilovers.
Matrix 11 stage dampening with  piggy back reservoir rear shocks.
PSR Fully Adjustable Ball Jointed UCA's.
Phat Bars braced front diff relocation brackets.
70mm Extended rear shackles.

The diff relocation brackets brace the front and rear crossmembers on the drivers side (your passenger side :P) as well as lowering the front differential itself 34mm to reprive any stress on cv angles. Front height has been set to 2" above standard.

Rear Extended Shackles were chose to give just under an inch extra height with the stock springs. The stock rear springs provide good open travel and comfort and there was no need to change them.

Rear Adjustable Dampening shocks:

[imghttps://scontent.fsyd4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15203241_634753583364029_90589543144882833_n.jpg?oh=14a9cdb4545e79c6924105cd64c80d0f&oe=5A723A51[/img]http://A set of front Superbumps to give some cofort for those sharp sudden jolts:

And this is the front end setup complete:

The upper control arms, are adjustable for length as well.  it takes a while to set them up correctly to clear the shock towers with adjusting and lock nuts and very minimal room to swing a spanner in location.

I ended up trimming the outer corners of the shock towers to avoid having to space them out too far. The good thing with the adjustment is that you can also set it to clear the coil springs on full droop where with other UCA's they might touch the coil springs on full droop.

After that was full underbody protection:

A set of angled Rocksliders:

A front Axis Bar to increase the front approach angle and provide more room for the bigger tyres to come:

A Rhino Pioneer Platform Rack and a couple of LED Lightbars to finish it off:

Wheels and Tyres ended up being a set of 17x8.5 P0 Alloys, and 295/70x17 (33.5x12.17) Toyo MT's.

A set of wheel arch flares from Thailand to suit.

I then took her offroad for the first time once competing all the trial and error required to clear those big tyres within the standard wheel arches.

I fitted a painted SR5 sportsbar to the back for looks mainly, got a custom rear bar made up for some high clearance protection within the limitation of the bodywork utilising the cross bar portion of the previous model hilux's towbar:

And thats how she looks thus far today:

It was time to hit some harder tracks:

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yFbBlC6RhQ
Article - https://practicalmotoring.com.au/4x4/drive-steep-hill/

A lil bit of mud -

And more harder rocky tracks where all the fun is -

Good 'ol IFS Wheel Lift -

A vid of me negotiating those rocky ruts above. Had to go around them as not enough clearance on the vehicle to go straight through -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ngVAjOJeG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_BWOjKNe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbcYaS__MK8

Not as hectic as some of the American Vehicles. Our laws do not allow us to go too big on our trucks and our trails here are not full on rock like you guys have but a mixture of exposed boulders, rutted and loose rocky/muddy trails....basically our trails have a combination of surfaces that change quickly.

Future Plans

Well Stage One is completed.....Stage Two I am not sure which avenue to take.  A 4.8 Regear of diffs is a given.

(1)  Upgrade to 305/70x17's (34/12.5x17) and trim at current height to make it fit.

(2) Get someone to modify my standard lower control arms to move the front hub position an inch or just over forward. Cut the fenders open more front and back and run full size 35/12,5x17 tyres.

possibly a Crawl Box down the track if I choose the 35" tyre route.  Thou would love it if there was a "solenoid activated selection option" from Marlin Crawler so we only need to wire in a switch on the dash as opposed to cutting through the floor.

If you have gotten through this post all the way, I thank you for your patience and support.

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2017, 07:35:38 PM by Hilux_Max »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Hilux Max's 2016 2.8 Diesel Pickup Build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »
:popcorn:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
Bummer, we only get the 2.4!
They really should do a v6 version over here....Take my money! But they dont so ill just butcher my 07 and make it into what i wants, preciousssss
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »

Bummer, we only get the 2.4!
They really should do a v6 version over here....Take my money! But they dont so ill just butcher my 07 and make it into what i wants, preciousssss

We get the 2.4D and 2.8D.   They dropped the 1GR 4litre V6 only 2 months ago because it was less than 1% of total sales.   Nobody buys petrol here in their 4x4s anymore.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2017, 04:43:49 AM »
We get the 2.4D and 2.8D.   They dropped the 1GR 4litre V6 only 2 months ago because it was less than 1% of total sales.   Nobody buys petrol here in their 4x4s anymore.

They are pushing to get rid of diesel completely over here. Obviously it wont work for 18 wheelers and i wouldnt expect it too, however the small diesel stuff is junk. Everyone takes the piss out of the Prius but i bet if they released a 500hp 4.0ltr v8 hybrid in a small pickup.....TAKE MY MONEY!!

Anyway i digress. I like what your doing here. I love the look of the new generation.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »
Small update :

Parked next to a stock Hilux same colour as mine for a comparison:

Ordered a set of 4.8 Nitro diff gears from the USA, these should hopefully land by Xmas and I have em booked in at 4x4 Obsession for installation at the end of January, so I can get some fuel economy back, get a better crawl speed/control, and in preparation for larger sized tyres later next year.

Went offroad again a couple weeks back with AUD4x4 Sales to Cobaw, was a great trip. Hadnt driven Pinaccle Track in quiet some time and it didnt dissapoint -

Part One of the edited video is here -->

Part Two should be ready later this week!]/b]

And to conclude, I had to do a little more trimming at the rear end of the rear wheel arches, as my tyres were still "just" hitting under full compression. I took off a good 15mm or so in this much needed area, but was limited to the tub support bracket itself which I was not ready to cut into. And because of the trimming, had to make up some custom rear mudflaps -

And I can pin them back above the rear step when going offroad -

Had a little fun with editing some images, to see what my hilux would look like with a quarter chop and raising the rear step up to suit and a little forward. I think it looks good and another item on the to do list for next year -

I took the editing one step further and wanted to see what a quarter chop and bobbing the tub a little would look like. I like the end result, but the job itself to do in real life would be huge !

Thankyou for taking the time to read my updates.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
love it!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
Part Two of the video "3 Trucks, 1 Track" has been uploaded.......continuing on from previous video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRF2MMk6fNk

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:32:48 AM »

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2017, 02:12:00 AM »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
are those different headlights? or just bezels? I didnt see you mention those or the grille :P
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »
are those different headlights? or just bezels? I didnt see you mention those or the grille :P

They are stick on covers on the headlights. I just wanted a different front look to other hiluxs and yes i changed the grille to a mesh design.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »
awesome. looks great.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:14:37 AM »
Myself and Francesco from AUS4x4 SALES ended up going to Mt. Disappointment yesterday,   unfortunately the other 2 attendees couldnt come for personal reasons. But we made the most of the day ourselves.

I hadn't been to Mt.Dissa for a good 9 years, before the Black Saturday Bushfires tore through the place. So I did a bit of research last couple days and spoke to a few people and I got a little trip route mapped out and a couple tracks to target. And thats what we did....

We firstly drove a couple fire trails I was told abouot, which really werent all that crash hot or exciting, thou if they were wet it could have been a different story. The terrain is very hilly, undulating hills, very dry and dusty clay, and some of the tracks we encountered later on had serious rocky section with jagged edges everywhere. After the first 2 or 3 firetrails we swung past Andersons Camp Ground to suss it out for future reference, but due to it being full found a little open area just outside it to hang a quick piss.....conveniently, there were a couple mounds we thought we'd take advantage off to park the trucks up on and pose!

The little bit of extra trimming to the rear fender I did a couple weeks ago has worked wonder being able to properly stuff the 295's fully without issue.

From there we headed towards a track called "The Bump" - all I knew about this track was what I had seen on youtube and the reccomendations of others. It was known for having a V-shaped chisselled section that was a bit of a challenge. So we soon found it, but the entrance to it had a couple long sections of bogholes which looked menacing especially for someone who's had back experiences with hilux's and water in the past......I hate water like cat's do. Luckily, after checking the depth with the good ol gun tree stick gauge, it was found to have very hard base and not overly deep....so on we went towards the unknown.
The track had a few drop down ruts going to more bogholes and high embankments......nothing the hilux's couldnt wade easily through.
as the track went on, the bogholes disappeared, adn we came across a large water puddle, that looked like an overflow from the dry creek bed further ahead. There was a track to the right hand sidce to go around it, but it was not wide enough for the track width of the hilux without falling either way, either down an embankment to one side or into this pool of water.....so we went through the water.....wasnt as bad as it first looked, we couldnt see the bottom, but it had a hard rocky bottom and wasnt as deep as we thought it might had been.
Francesco followed.
After we got through the water, we crossed the dry creek bed, and by passed a couple insane tracks heading uphill to the right.....kind of tracks you'd surely have to winch yourself up to the top of.....we weerent prepared to risk our lux's here or yet, something a winch comp truck might attempt. so we pushed on.....on past the over grown bushes, getting used to the squeal of the branches brushes over the panels...like nails on a chalkboard. the track soon cleared and we came up to the V-shapped chisseled section of the track that I had been told about.

The track now looked pretty gnarly. Picture a v-shapped cut out in the track, the middle of the track was the point, right hand side was smooth flat rock, left hand side was hard clay with rough rocky embankments, all the while going up up and steeper and steeper. making you lift wheels as you go along.

The following pic of Francescodriving up the track from the front shows the profile of what we drove.....

We crawled to the top up and out of "The Bump" and headed to try and find a track called the "3 Sisters"......we got a bit lost a long the way with misreadin maps, and in the end we realised that the track had been closed where it should had been and was overgrown. So agt the intersection of 3 tracks where it was, we found another unnamed track going up a ridge line which we gave a run up, which had many alternating ruts all the way up, a place to turn around at the top and we got to experience it on the way down too.

Frankie coming out the bottom of the track.
From here we drive a little while, bout a good 10 or so mins to look for another reknowned track called "Quarry Track". This is a long winding track that takes you up mountain ridges and back down again all along very rocky and rutted terrain. We got onto this track about at the half way point of what it is. We found some great open ruts that allowed us to play with our vehicles, and in all honesty, we were balancing them on 3 wheels most of the way down....Frankie balancing on 2 alternating wheels at one stage. (I cant wait for Frankie to edit the video footage from the day his mate tapped.....my vids and pics just dont do anything any justice).

From here, this is where :pokinit: got really interesting...................

The signs were all around us. The track got gnarlier, the hill climbs and decents more difficult. There was one rocky side track that was pretty steep that I gave the hilux a run up that Frankie tapped....definitely front locker made it doable. As the terrain became more unforgiving, we came across something.....that really put things into perspective, and quickly brings any offroad enthusiast down to earth.

It was a memorial, friends/family of some one that had died at that spot on a dirtbike had put together.....A pole, both of his dirt bike tires mounted on it, his Recreational Rego plate screwwed into it, a spot where his photo once had been, and around both tires were little plaques, messages left for him by friends and family. But what got us....was the center plate/plaque....."Died doing what he loved best.....he was only 24 years old.....so we gave a moment of silence to him.

I think its implortant when we are all wheeling that as much fun as we are having, at the end of the day, we all want to get home to our loved ones in one piece....our Hilux's can be repaired or replaced, but we cannot.
On our map, it showed the track was nearing the end....but we couldnt see it yet. I was told that there was a rocky climb near the end....but what we came across had Frankie looking hard for a chicken track or something to go around it......but it was not to be.....there was only one way out....and that way was UP!

I guess it was another sign that we should respect this track when we saw at the bottom of it, a Triton that had obviously rolled down the side of the track from the top. We could see a clearing through the trees where this triton had broken trees coming down. coming to a rest against a large gum tree....we only hope nobody was hurt in the event. Above Frankies mates head, if you look closely, you can see the top of the track up and behind in the distance. this triton rolled a fair way.

This is the view from the bottom of the track....it was seriously steep. as we all know photo's dont do it justice, but this was borderline too steep and shouldnt be attempted if ever wet. Not only steep and rocky, but there was a deep rut to the upper left and the upper right, with a rock ledge that makes the vehicle lift up even steep whilst climbing it......this was going to be no mean feat......after having a good day wheeling, we second guessed ourselves for a moment if we should be attempting such a traxck this late in the day?

If you zoom in on the pic below, you can see my daughter, "just" on the top left at the top of the track behind the log and where Frankies mate is on the right.......

We walked it up.....planning the route to best take and the possible dangers. The issue with trying to keep either your LHF tyre in the rut going up the left hand route or keeping your RHF tyre in the rut up the right hand route, was that in the middle was a bulging rock embankment/mound....so it would throw you over on a even greater side angle, at a point when you need both traction and some momentum, stopping your forward advance whilst throwing the inner wheel even higher up in the air when your on a crazy angle already......I beleive this is what got the triton unstuck given where he had rolled from.

So I told Frankie, Im going to give it a go. The obvious and typical line you take whilst offroading, to try and keep your tyres in the ruts, I beleived would not be the best or safest option in this instance.....I didnt want to risk rolling of either side of the track. With front locker engaged.....I decided I would hit her up straight up the middle....up the guts.....even if the center mound would raise her noise even higher, but there was more room possibly catch yourself should it be required either side......but drove up her I did.

I was a little concerned about Frankie.....with only the factory rear locker and a little less experience....he even considered giving me the keys to his hilux to drive it up.....I said I couldnt do that mate..... I carefully explained to him where I wanted him to place his tyres, where and when to give it a little extra pedla, but not too much given the angle we faced.

So,with his total faith in me guiding him, he took a deep breath, pointed that TRD Hilux towards God.....and toldme later that he had prayed "Please dont let me be that Triton....please dont let me be that Triton!"

Frankie started driving up, slowly steered from the left hand side up towards the middle and had her straightened up in time for the big mound in the middle where I told him to give it a little more....I didnt want him to enocunter a situation where he would loose momentum and end up bouncing with front wheels spinning on that rocky surface.....that was a CV breaker in that scenario.

So as he approached the center lump.he gave her some pedal.....but IMO a little too much, and my heart stopped.......as he got BOTH FRONT WHEELS OFF THE GROUND at a point where the Hilux was already on a good 35 degree angle........before I could even say,....."TOO MUCH PEDAL". but as the front end landed.....he kept powering on and made it up.......Hats off to you my friend....you surpassed any limits you may have thought you;d ever attempt there on that track.

I dont have video of that track, but Frankies mate did video both our trucks going up, so we will have to wait a week or so until Frankie edits it and posts it up. In the meantime....look at the video below....fast forward to the 33 second mark, and you will see a great profile of the track and how the vehicles there struggle to get up
After I got over the uncomfortableness of Frankies massive bear/man hug......and me having to hold him up for a minute to stop his knee's from shaking so he could calm down over what he had just driven up, we continued on. The track was still going uphill with rocky ruts challenging our vehicles and traction all the way.

But we made it up to the Main Rd being Spur Track, fixed our vehicles to be ready to go back on the road, and headed back towards the Hume Hwy and the servo further down to air up.
Ended up being a great day, some really gnarly tracks tackled.....our vehicles are constantly surprising us with their ability to conquer challenging terrain, and we left, not having damaged our vehicles or ourselves and it doesnt get much better than that!
Cant wait for the Vids once AUS4X4SALES edits them, Ill post em up here in a week or so when done, theres some kick arse Hilux action that I couldnt get on my phone.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my trip report.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
Santa was kind enough to deliver to me for Xmas, a set of 4.8 Nityro Gears as well as Master Install kits for both ends -

This will be getting installed at the end of the month.

Also,  here is a little video review of my Hilux build put together but a close friend -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf6tCBklksU&t=43s

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
Hello Gents,

I haven't updated this post in a while.....been going on trips where possible. our terrain  here in Australia is a bit different to a lot of the dry rock crawling you guys have there. we have greasy rocky conditions, slippery rocky shale tracks and then throw in some wet clay.....anyway, heres some photo's to add.

I have a couple months back taken the step up to 35/13x17 Nitto Trailgrapplers on 17x9 N13 Allied Rockathon Steel Beadlocks wheels.  I needed to trim the fenders 2 to 3" all around. I replaced my UCA's with a set of Monster Rides units which are locally developed tubular 1.25" sealed uniball design for additional castor adjustment and a sever mount chop and some firewall persuasion.

a slight mishap from a recent trip....rhf tyre slipped into the opposite rut almost rolling me -

Which leads me to the next phase of my build which I am about to embark upon.....other than a winch coming in the near future as a lot of the tracks I want to do require self recovery,  I am about to chop the rear quarter on my bed as additional departure angle is required,  I have a friend that will be modifying the existing rear bar to raise it higher and pull it forward to suit, add an additional bit of tube to the rear, some protection wings to the side, front and rear fender brushbars, a custom sportsbar running to the back of the bed, and a spare tyre mount that will sit ontop of the bedsides that will hold the 35" tyre above the bed so I still have pracitical use of it.

you can all follow progress on my instagram page -->  #hilux_max

there is a bunch of videos, and detailed progress pics of all mods.

next year onwards I shall turn my attention towards a Marlin Crawlbox and hopefully again, become the 1st Hilux in the current model to have one installed.

thankyou for reading up to this point.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
I had my first magazine feature story for my 2016 Hilux the other day on Loaded4x4 Magazine.  If you follow the link below and go to page 131 the story starts there.

http://www.loaded4x4.com.au/issue-004/#1

Plans have changed for the bed area - I have a friend currently halfway through building a flat bed tray. it will be a comp style one with storage compartments, removable bed sides, tubbed rear fenders, angled rear underneath tool boxes  and the spare tyre will be sunken into the flatbed at the front near what you guys call the headache rack.  it will be "just" as long as the chassis rails (as chopping chassis rails shorter here brings up other issues with the law).

Front fender and rear tray fender brushbars will also be built to protect everything against rocks and embankments when offroad, and rear twbar crossbar will be lifted and modified to accommodate a rear winch mount to match the front one in the near future. 

In the meantime, heres some images from the magazine article -

The custom tray will be completed in next couple weeks and fitted up. will update then....will give me much needed departure angle and protection with the low lift we are required to maintain here to keep the law off our arses.

NotPossible907

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 261
  • Member since Sep '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »
I'm jealous. Great looking build! I wish we could get these over here. Toyota is missing out on a great market. Congratulations on the magazine article too.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
I'm jealous. Great looking build! I wish we could get these over here. Toyota is missing out on a great market. Congratulations on the magazine article too.

Rumour has it that you guys will be getting the Hilux end of next year, start of 2020 or thereabouts.

Heres an update on my custom flatbed build (we call them "trays" here in Australia......I should be getting final pics later today so will share then. Just gonna copy and paste my commentary from other forums below with images:

So about 2 months ago I started talking to Leigh Mackin from #Lethal_Customs_4x4 about doing some work on my hilux. I was undecided at the time to whether to chop the rear quarters and get a custom tube rear bar madeup a long with some other things (see last photo attachement), or to get a tray. Goin the tubchop avenue would have been difficult too because I would have had to leave the Hilux with him for a long period of time and that wasn't feaseable.
So after throwing lots of ideas each way and frying his brains with my indecisiveness, we came to a design consensus on a custom tray and the sort of custom tray that would suit my needs, wants and requirements. The design requirements were:
Clearance, Practicality, Strength, and Looks last.
What Leigh has built thus far is absolutely amazing! And has ticked all those boxes and more.
The tray I didn't want to be any longer than the actual chassis rails themselves....I wanted maximum departure angle possible. I even considered chopping the chassis rail behind the rear hangar but decided not to. To keep in line with that, custom towbar mounts are being built to raise the towbar "just" above the chassis rail and "just" inwards of the rear end of the chassis itself. You can see in one of the pics, it is just "sitting" there ontop of the chassis, and the gooseneck opening fits perfectly under the rear tray panel.
I didn't want the tray to be any wider than the widest part of the Hilux's body unlike many other trays that do sit wider....I wanted the fenders tubbed up into the tray floor to allow heaps of clearance to stuff those 35's with the potential to fit 37s down the line one day if required. I also plan to remove the extended shackles and refit stock length greaseable shackles so arse end will be 100% stock height suspension wise...more on that later...……...
I wanted a rear boot/storage area that was fully sealed....Leigh has managed to do that. Originally I planned a rear winch mount off the towbar but there just wasn't enough room with how things have ended up. not to say that it wasn't doable but that can wait for now.
I needed somewhere to mount the spare tyre, so we decided to mount it vertically, slightly sunken into the tray floor at the front. Leigh is makin up a mount there of sorts for me to bolt it up to to secure it.
The other week I went to see him and we removed my tub, and trial fitted the tray frame to ensure everything worked, and check to see what and where needed adjustment. Then refitted the tub so I can use the truck.
So the photo's you see are from the trial fit on the vehicle, and from changes and progress Leigh has made since then. There should be a few more pics things morning coming.
To do...….Headboard panelling will extend up to the bottom of the rear window....there will be a V-shaped tube support brace on the headboard. And under tray rear fender tool boxes. It will then get painted, tray lights fitted and in 2 weeks all going well end up on the back of my hilux.😁🤙
But wait.....that's just Stage One 😱
After all that......Leigh will be making some custom front fender brushbars, and some rear brushbars for the rear fenders. We've measured everything with the 35s on and the fenders now allow a good inch or so of tyre to stick out....but with the brush bars that will be covered. They will also be supported for maximum strength.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that there will be tray sides made up goin round the tray as well to suit.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
Actually we have all kinds of trail conditions here in the US. It is true that California is dry, here in Washington State we have plenty of wet clay like what you are describing. Cool tuck I love my diesel too, I wasn't about to wait til Toyota decided to let us have them so I put one in myself.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2018, 01:31:06 AM »
Tag! So cool!
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
This is the last week my hilux will look this way. Next week this time,  the tray will be fitted.

And here is the completed end product raw.  She has been copping a few coats of paint the past week. The bedsides are removable and will typically be off unless I need to carry something.

:usa:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
very clever design! I like how the sides are removable. Is it aluminum or steel? hard to tell in the photos.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »
very clever design! I like how the sides are removable. Is it aluminum or steel? hard to tell in the photos.

Thankyou....it is steel. But we tried to keep it as light as possible considering.

Withiut the bedsides on,  the floor or under tray toolboxes me and my mate easily lifted it onto my chassis for the trial fit the other week.

He suspects when complete that it would be "just" a bit heavier than the standard bed is.    Ill measure ground to chassis rail height before snd after and compare.

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
Completed and fitted the other week -

I have some custom rear shocks currently being built that will give me an additional 3" of open travel from the rear end which y existing shocks are limiting.  With existing shocks unbolted off the bottom mount I get a good 2" or just over more open travel....am thinking of removing/loosening the leaf pack retainers to take advantage of the full 3"  that will be available, and which will keep the RHR tyre on the ground in below scenario.

Winch is due any day now too...Runva 13XP Premium, then a bigger battery instead of the standard one to accommodate,  trim the body mount a little more and a big trip in 3 weeks against much bigger solid axled vehicles.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
Bed turned out nice. With all that work that went into it, why is the tire held on by a ratchet strap?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Hilux_Max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
Bed turned out nice. With all that work that went into it, why is the tire held on by a ratchet strap?

The tyre holder isnt finished yet and wasnt done in time but it will be fitted in future with some sort of security panel over the front to protect it from theft too.  Ratchet strap was a temporary measure.