Author Topic: 22r timing  (Read 10628 times)

ajschwartzp15

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22r timing
« on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:03:25 AM »
I recently upgraded some things pin my 22r.
I have the motoe rebuilt. 020 over, i have a mild crane cam, header, intake, weber 32/36 carb and at this point a factory ignition (because I have had no luck with the DUI from performance distributors, its loud and rattly even after they sent me a second one)
At this point I am curious as to where i should set the timing foe this setup and also what kind of ignition people would recommend over factory. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: 22r timing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
This is all dependent on fuel, elevation, compression etc. so there is no real "here's where your timing should be".  What you need to do is start at a reasonable spot, anywhere from 0 to 5 degrees base timing at say, 750-800 rpms, take it for a drive, preferably some mild highway hill to get some load. Pull the hill accelerating a bit, see how you like it.  Note what speed you can pull the hill at a certain point.  Then go back down the hill, advance your timing like 2 degrees, repeat the hill driving, noting if you got any better performance. Keep doing this as long as performance gets better until you get it to ping (pre-detonate) under load. When you get there, back of the timing 2 degrees or so.

Carb jetting gets into play too.  Richer and you can typically advance more, leaner you will get your ping sooner.  You can run one step cooler plug and get a bit more advance.

More is not necessarily better, but less is typically less efficient.  Long story short you just need to find that "happy place" for your setup.

Oh and one more thing, a bit more advance in the winter helps with the cold start :).  I run maybe 2-3 degrees more advance when our temps get below 30 for the highs.

I also see no reason to run DUI or other hot ignitions unless maybe you can't fins an ignitor when yours goes bad.

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »
This is all dependent on fuel, elevation, compression etc. so there is no real "here's where your timing should be".  What you need to do is start at a reasonable spot, anywhere from 0 to 5 degrees base timing at say, 750-800 rpms, take it for a drive, preferably some mild highway hill to get some load. Pull the hill accelerating a bit, see how you like it.  Note what speed you can pull the hill at a certain point.  Then go back down the hill, advance your timing like 2 degrees, repeat the hill driving, noting if you got any better performance. Keep doing this as long as performance gets better until you get it to ping (pre-detonate) under load. When you get there, back of the timing 2 degrees or so.

Carb jetting gets into play too.  Richer and you can typically advance more, leaner you will get your ping sooner.  You can run one step cooler plug and get a bit more advance.

More is not necessarily better, but less is typically less efficient.  Long story short you just need to find that "happy place" for your setup.

Oh and one more thing, a bit more advance in the winter helps with the cold start :).  I run maybe 2-3 degrees more advance when our temps get below 30 for the highs.

I also see no reason to run DUI or other hot ignitions unless maybe you can't fins an ignitor when yours goes bad.
Awesome, thanks for the input. Im in florida so basically sea level lol.
Ill get it out on the road later and see where it likes to be. Ill start at 5 and give it a shot.
Also, how noticeable should the advance be with or without the vacuum line hooked up. Im assuming not very at idle...

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
At idle it hops maybe 5-6 degrees on mine with the vac hooked up, so a bit.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
At idle it hops maybe 5-6 degrees on mine with the vac hooked up, so a bit.
Yes it did,  and at this point i found 5-7 degrees to be pretty responsive and starts up well.
Im curious where you adjust your valves.
My cam card suggests .010 int and .010 exh.
But they dont sound right after I finished the timing today.  Thanks

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2017, 05:05:47 AM »
Yes it did,  and at this point i found 5-7 degrees to be pretty responsive and starts up well.

Which Crane cam do you have installed?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2017, 05:58:10 AM »
Which Crane cam do you have installed?

Gnarls.
My mistake, its a comp cam.
.445 gross lift
230 duration at .050

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Rather than just adjusting the initial timing, you could always recurve your distributor.............

(google it)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
... But they dont sound right after I finished the timing today. 

Are you SURE its rocker tick?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
Are you SURE its rocker tick?

Gnarls.
Not really, unfortunately. Im not sure how to tell

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »

Do whatever your cam info says on valve lash.  Ticking after adjusting your timing is probably timing related. Might be pre-detonation, might just sound different.  It's probably all right if it runs good for you. Maybe back off like 1 degree and see if it quiets down.
– Steve McQueen

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2017, 07:49:57 AM »
 Any preferences on fuel grade for such a motor.?
Reg,med,prem...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
Any preferences on fuel grade for such a motor.?
Reg,med,prem...

Octane depends on your engine, ignition timing, compression, cam timing, elevation, and who's gas you're burning.

If you are still hearing a tick, is it at idle?

Gnarls.

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »
Octane depends on your engine, ignition timing, compression, cam timing, elevation, and who's gas you're burning.

If you are still hearing a tick, is it at idle?

Gnarls.
Right on.  And yes.
I did have to repair a few bad exhaust studs that were allowing an exhaust leak. I simply left the valves a .010 after talking to comp and they confirmed that lash

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Typically with the 22R there are 3 common "ticks"... with the engine idling, rockers, exhaust leak at header or coupler, and fuel pump. You can take a piece of PVC, metal tube, or rubber hose, hold one end up to our ear and see if you can isolate the noise. Be careful not to get near the fan while engine is running..

If the engine in pinging under load or hard acceleration, then it's probably ignition timing.

Gnarls.

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
Typically with the 22R there are 3 common "ticks"... with the engine idling, rockers, exhaust leak at header or coupler, and fuel pump. You can take a piece of PVC, metal tube, or rubber hose, hold one end up to our ear and see if you can isolate the noise. Be careful not to get near the fan while engine is running..

If the engine in pinging under load or hard acceleration, then it's probably ignition timing.

Gnarls.
I don't believe it pings, though I'm not certain I would know it if I heard it. Currently at ~5*advance.
The majority of the chatter seems towards the rear of the motor.
I wonder if the clutch/flywheel area can be an origin.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
I don't believe it pings, though I'm not certain I would know it if I heard it. Currently at ~5*advance.

if you think it is coming from the clutch you better look into that asap.  I had a guy who's flywheel sheered all 6 bolts because he ignored a clatter in that area.  he didnt believe me when I told him he should lift the engine forward and check the bolts. 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
if you think it is coming from the clutch you better look into that asap.  I had a guy who's flywheel sheered all 6 bolts because he ignored a clatter in that area.  he didnt believe me when I told him he should lift the engine forward and check the bolts.
Not bad advice!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:52:41 AM »

Trying to analyze sounds over the internet is like sniffing flowers through your butt.

You need to figure out what kind of "chatter" you are hearing.

You need to isolate more closely where the noise you are hearing is coming from.

Based on your questions and apparent lack of experience with engine sounds, I would recommend you get to a qualified Toyota mechanic and have the engine checked and tuned.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2017, 03:00:34 AM by Gnarly4X »

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:52:11 AM »
Trying to analyze sounds over the internet is indeed hard.

I have minuscule experience with fixing anything automotive, but sometimes I take a piece of pipe and listen through it to various parts of the engine. Sometimes I even record sound in this way from several suspect parts of the engine and analyze it on the computer to see which one shows the noise I'm hearing. This has, on occasion been immensely helpful.

Based on your questions and apparent lack of experience with engine sounds, I would recommend you get to a qualified Toyota mechanic and have the engine checked and tuned.

I actually disagree with this recommendation. Mechanics can be really convenient, and also helpful. But at the same time, I personally have always been glad I figured things out for myself. Because I don't know hardly nuthin', It's slower, more frustrating, and more confusing, but I usually end the experience both richer and wiser than if I had gone to a mechanic and paid them to deal with it. But at the end of the day, it's your truck, so do what you want.

This is $0.02 of my biased opinion. Feel free to ignore it.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
I have minuscule experience with fixing anything automotive...I actually disagree with this recommendation.

ajschwartzp15 appears to have a fairly new modified rebuild and asking questions that indicates he has limited experience.  Noises can be deceptive, but typically can be critical to potential serious damage to an engine unless diagnosed and fixed in a timely manner.

It's been almost a month since his first post and questions.  We can speculate all day long.

It would be a shame if he toasts his engine that a simple fix could have saved it.

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:07:35 AM »
Trying to analyze sounds over the internet is like sniffing flowers through your butt.

You need to figure out what kind of "chatter" you are hearing.

You need to isolate more closely where the noise you are hearing is coming from.

Gnarls.
I probably will at this point, I dont want to burn up a motor with this much money into it.

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »
I probably will at this point, I dont want to burn up a motor with this much money into it.

So, my friend from a local shop came by with a stethascope.
He said the bottom end is essentially silent but the rocker area is the loudest. He said it almost sounds like the rockers are hitting the valve cover. But what's strange is we listened the valve cover grommets to the point of leaking and there was no change...

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
Crank it with the valve cover off and see what's going on. It may make a little mess.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
It turns out my father didnt change the valve springs that were recommended for the high duration cam.
Comp says that can cause the valves to slam closed and woukd require performance springs

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
Check for coil binding on the valve springs
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:47:18 AM »
It turns out my father didnt change the valve springs that were recommended for the high duration cam.
Comp says that can cause the valves to slam closed and woukd require performance springs

The CompCam 268S is a fairly big cam.

How many RPMs are you taching it to?  Have you heard any valve float at high RPM?

How many miles on the valve springs?

Was the head rebuilt? Who's valves are in the head?

With CC's 10/10 valve lash and that valve lift, that cam is probably going to make the rockers a little noisy.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 03:05:04 AM by Gnarly4X »

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »
The CompCam 268S is a fairly big cam.

How many RPMs are you taching it to?  Have you heard any valve float at high RPM?

How many miles on the valve springs?

Was the head rebuilt? Who's valves are in the head?

With CC's 10/10 valve lash and that valve lift, that cam is probably going to make the rockers a little noisy.

Gnarls.
I havent driven it yet since the build so, really not many rpms at all. The springs are probably pushing 275k miles.
When i do tach it, it sounds pretty much the same. No sputter or spitting, the head and valves were done recently. Theyre new factory valves. Leak down test reveled or poor exhaust valves so they were all replaced.

ajschwartzp15 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
The cam literature actually says "springs required", not just recommended.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »
Coming from my experience with comp and crane (i have ran both in big block and small block gm engines). If they say the springs are required then you better darn well be sure to run their recommended springs. I've had no issue personally because when i ordered the cam I got lifters and springs. Obviously 22r has no lifter but the spring theory still holds true. They know what their cam requires. I have seen quite a few guys in the marine world try to do a quick cam swap to get a lopey idle and more top end rpm/torque and skimp out on replacing the valves. Guess what, it doesn't work. Valves floating at the upper rpm, valves not fully seating at idle and having to idle engine way up high. The list of negatives goes on and on.

Swap the springs and go from there.  :beerchug:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck