Author Topic: Plate bumper question, homebrew  (Read 3239 times)

muddpigg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Plate bumper question, homebrew
« on: Oct 12, 2017, 06:57:49 AM »
Hello,

Looking for some input on plate bumpers.  So I have a trailgear (yes flame me for frailgear question on a marlin site)winch mount.  Bought it years ago to mount winch (like duh) money was tight and it was a cheap solution.  To stay legal I bought a smittybuilt tube bumper off craigslist for $20 and cut center out.  Been fine for the time but now feel a bit mo' better about my welding and am about ready to step up my game.  My front crossmember is re-enforced.

1- keep TG winch mount or scrap?  Seems easy enough to build off of it but open to suggestions.

2- What thickness of steel?  I know this is very subjective as design plays a huge factor into strength.  I have a welder and should be able to use torches at post autocraft shop to cut out individual pieces then weld up at home.  Seems the autocraft shop has some stupid rules about only they can weld it and I'd have to be certified to use their equipment.  No I can't bring my setup in and use their space and electricity to do my own work.  Plus they have limited hours....

3- I really like this design  https://goo.gl/images/tPeyoZ Its not using TG mount don't think that's a big deal or adapt design to TG mount.  This is what I don't want https://goo.gl/images/ziGH9s

4- I lack imagination for fresh designs so if you don't mind sharing I'd be happy to give credit.

I'm concerned about weight, still rocking the 22re in my 86 4rnr.  Its SAS'd with 35" tires with 4.88s.  Do want to mount lights and turn signals on bumper plus wire in LED light in corner marked so there'll be 2 turn signal lights.  Of course, I want good approach angles and clearance.  My welding capability is 240v-30amp Lincoln 180, I'm a step above bugger welds but not doing perfect stack of dimes.  I'm planning to use cardboard to mock up and then use for template to cut pieces out. 

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Plate bumper question, homebrew
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
If you are going to go w/a minimalist plate bumper like the one you linked,

you could go with 3/16" and not be adding all that much additional weight, I wouldn't use anything thicker than 1/8" if you do a traditional pate bumper.

I would use a metal cutting blade and a skill saw or a 4" grinder over a cutting torch for the plate, or pick up the plate, map it out from your cardboard templates and have a steel shop cut them for you, should be about $5/cut.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Re: Plate bumper question, homebrew
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
Can't see it too good but this thread has my bumper pics http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=71559.0
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's