Author Topic: Removed bed to install stuff  (Read 3537 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Removed bed to install stuff
« on: Oct 04, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
I took the bed off of my rig with the help of my buddy Tony that is a member here on site and is a personal friend of Marlin with 4wd building experience I am slowly learning from example.
My rig has been rolling around So Cal for almost two years with no rear shocks and it is starting to annoy me so off came the bed and in goes the LROR shock mounts. I'm also eliminating the load sensor, the damn thing is a PITA that just shouldn't exist in a trail rig.

I don't know how the rear vinyl brake line hasn't snapped yet, it has been the limiter of flex in the rear and has held on but, for how much longer would it last is not something I'm willing to find out the hard way so a new 24" steel braided line is being purchased today.
Another issue I had was the angle of the diff, it was too extreme with the wedge shims supplied by Pro-Comp too short lengthwise 5" lift springs and even though there was no vibration, removing the wedge shims put the diff at the perfect degree of angle and now I have one less problem ahead of me.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

85Buckett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 187
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Removed bed to install stuff
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
Hey Buddy,

I am in the process of rebuilding/saving/modifying etc, my 85.  I got the truck from my brother with no bed on it so I got one.  If you have a engine hoist you should be able to pluck the bed off and move it around without much issue.  I have a rack I build on my bed that makes this easy for me.

Yup Rear shocks ..... pretty necessary not much to say about that. I am running the LROR rear upper mount and I had to trim it to fit a bit.  For the lower mounts I have Ruff Stuff shock mounts that put the shock eyelets in parallel. I'd recommend you build something like them or buy Dan's.

Yes the LSPV is pretty pointless on a truck that is not hauling heavy weight.  Check out any of the aftermarket shops you can find a adjustable proportioning valve you can plumb into the brake system under the hood near the master cylinder.   

Braided steel brake line has its ups and downs nothing wrong with a good rubber line that is the right length ( never heat a brake fitting on a rubber line to remove it   :attention:  ).

Well that's good that you got the pinion pointed in the right direction keep at it. 
Pirate 4x4 S/N  Tripower389

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
I just fit the new brake line and removed the load sensor from the system and am trying to decide on capping the end of the out going line or put a new fitting up by the front brake with the T splitter reduced to a 90°? It'll come to me tomorrow when I can see better, that damn sun just set and put a damper on my outdoor activities.

I have what I think are decent lower shock mounts, pretty hefty little pieces of steel.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
Learning to weld brings many challenges to an idiot like me, it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

I was going to zip tie the brake line to the bracket then realized I could use the clips from the old line to mount the new one. Duh!

One shock on I had to weld lower mount to the axle first which is now done, just need some new shock bolts since I lost the two that I had put aside for this, the side of what I don't know.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »

I eliminated the load sensor and welded a brake line to use as a plug to block off the unused line.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
She's back down on her wheels waiting for my buddy to help put the bed back on.

A fresh paint application to the rear wheels makes them look like new from more than 6'3" up, I was really impressed with my Picasso abilities.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
Based on the amount of shaft showing it looks like you could move the shocks outward more.

the_white_shadow

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 04:40:00 AM »
Learning to weld on suspension related items is never a good idea. Get some scrap steel and practice. I wouldnt want those to fail .

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »
Based on the amount of shaft showing it looks like you could move the shocks outward more.
Next year she gets Chevy 63"s and when that happens, the other upper shock mount I have on a shelf goes in a few inches back. They are 10" travel shocks, the shortest Bilsteins I could get and the way they are located now is the only way they are going on the truck until I put two Ford shock towers coming up through the bed and that ain't happening any time soon.
I have Ford shock towers up front for the 12" Bilsteins and I had to fight myself to allow a Ford product to touch my Toyota but, since they are a perfect fit, I caved into myself and let a buddy weld them on for me when they put the cross over steering on my rig for me. That guy who did my welding then has since gotten lost in Fosters Lager, a nasty alcoholic beverage allegedly from Australia and he can't touch my vehicle until he sobers up. I don't consume alcohol and won't let anyone who does work for me.

The white shadow
I am not worried about my welds failing on me, ain't gonna happen because they are solid penetrating welds.
You can wait for someone to come along and weld your truck up for free, I can't wait for what ain't gonna happen and I am not paying money I don't have to let someone else touch my rig that I drive.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
Next year she gets Chevy 63"s and when that happens, the other upper shock mount I have on a shelf goes in a few inches back. They are 10" travel shocks, the shortest Bilsteins I could get and the way they are located now is the only way they are going on the truck until I put two Ford shock towers coming up through the bed and that ain't happening any time soon.

I mentioned it because, from the photos, it looks like you have an excess of up travel. Looks like you could use one of the other upper mount positions and still not bottom the shocks, or use a 12" shock in that same position. You know your travel needs better than I do and the photos could be deceiving. 

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »
I do have a pair of 12" Bilsteins but, I couldn't collapse them enough to get them mounted up.

I had to redo my brake lines after my initial set up after removing the LSPV because I plugged into the wrong splitter so today I rectified the situation and and have better brakes than I did before I removed the load sensor.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 10:51:50 PM by fasterspider »