Author Topic: Official MCR16 Video Review!  (Read 4737 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Official MCR16 Video Review!
« on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »

The 16th Annual Round-Up was one of our best Round Up events! Thanks to the wonderful Marlin Crawler fans who attended, the event raised $11,598 for the Rubicon Trail Foundation!! More than 400 tri-tip meals were served and we had the Rubicon Springs campground packed with awesome people and amazing rigs! Please enjoy this video tribute and thank you to all who came out to support the Rubicon Trail Foundation, and BIG thank you to the many volunteers and our employees who make this event possible!! Keep your September 2018 calendar clear: MCR17 will **potentially** be September 12-16, 2018 (date not confirmed yet). We are already looking forward to next year and Thank You to all from your Marlin Crawler family!!

Combined, the Marlin Crawler Round-Up events have now donated a total of $114,594 to the Rubicon Trail Foundation!

Filmed Dates: September 14-17, 2017
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2017, 12:38:03 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Official MCR16 Video Review!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
Bigmike, did you make this video??
that was welllllllll done!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
Bigmike, did you make this video??
that was welllllllll done!!
Oh how I wish I had those video skills but no it was a good friend, customer, and fellow business owner Nathan from Canada! I am not sure if he has an account here on our forum or not.

* BigMike goes to look for him...

Nathan is the owner of The Gear Shop, https://gearshop.ca, which is the main Marlin Crawler Canadian Distributor for all of Alberta :thumbs:

edit: As far as I can tell Nathan does not have an account here. Shame on him haha
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »
Oh how I wish I had those video skills but no it was a good friend, customer, and fellow business owner Nathan from Canada! I am not sure if he has an account here on our forum or not.

Nathan is the owner of The Gear Shop, https://gearshop.ca, which is the main Marlin Crawler Canadian Distributor for all of Alberta :thumbs:

edit: As far as I can tell Nathan does not have an account here. Shame on him haha

aww nice! well he did an amazing job..its really hard to make crawling look intresting on video. mad props!

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
its really hard to make crawling look intresting on video.

I disagree. this video is on the extreme upper end of rock crawling vids, but as long as you don't have a shaky 480p video with some woman in the background screaming "OH MY GOSH!" every two seconds, you can have a pretty good video.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2017, 07:56:20 AM »
Photographing, editing, composing, and publishing a video takes time, hours, if not days. It also takes experience and skill to create the imagery that captures the reality and essence of the event.  Deciding who the target viewership will be while incorporating the photographer’s artistic intent must be considered before, during, and after the footage is complete.

Capturing quality photography with a still camera is a challenge.  Capturing quality photography with a video camera is much more challenging.

Sitting behind a keyboard and a monitor and critiquing some else’s photography is one perspective…. Being there with a camera in your hand is an entirely different perspective.

From one viewer’s perspective…

This video was well done, but could have been produced much better.

If the video tells a story, it should have a beginning, middle, and end. Key events should be highlighted.  The audio and sound track is the very important. The sound track was monotonous at times.  I much prefer the actual sounds, with subdued sound track or music that enhances the visuals. There were too many jump cuts in this video and were too short between the snap transitions, which made watching it confusing and difficult to follow.

It’s OK to mix stills with full motion, but stills should be done to emphasize event highlights and only short duration. Many of the video clips were way too short and sequencing was very choppy.

Rules of photographic composition apply to videography… rule of thirds, leading lines, subject focus, depth of field, perspective control, etc.

I have always enjoyed and appreciate ANY photography on 4-wheeling.  I get to see things I might not ever get to see.

4-wheeling is all about motion, sound, people, vehicles, and the terrain.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

freeze365

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »

Hey Mike!!! I do have an account... just haven't been on for quite a while!  radical eh!   hahaha member since OCT 03!   :thumbs:

.... and it looks like have some profile updating to do haha. 
G55 AMG | OHLINS | TE37 BEADLOCKS | MAXXIS

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
Photographing, editing, composing, and publishing a video takes time, hours, if not days. It also takes experience and skill to create the imagery that captures the reality and essence of the event.  Deciding who the target viewership will be while incorporating the photographer’s artistic intent must be considered before, during, and after the footage is complete.

Capturing quality photography with a still camera is a challenge.  Capturing quality photography with a video camera is much more challenging.

Sitting behind a keyboard and a monitor and critiquing some else’s photography is one perspective…. Being there with a camera in your hand is an entirely different perspective.

From one viewer’s perspective…

This video was well done, but could have been produced much better.

If the video tells a story, it should have a beginning, middle, and end. Key events should be highlighted.  The audio and sound track is the very important. The sound track was monotonous at times.  I much prefer the actual sounds, with subdued sound track or music that enhances the visuals. There were too many jump cuts in this video and were too short between the snap transitions, which made watching it confusing and difficult to follow.

It’s OK to mix stills with full motion, but stills should be done to emphasize event highlights and only short duration. Many of the video clips were way too short and sequencing was very choppy.

Rules of photographic composition apply to videography… rule of thirds, leading lines, subject focus, depth of field, perspective control, etc.

I have always enjoyed and appreciate ANY photography on 4-wheeling.  I get to see things I might not ever get to see.

4-wheeling is all about motion, sound, people, vehicles, and the terrain.

Gnarls.

What is your deal, do you always have to have a rebuttal/overly done response for everything everyone does on this site? You sound like a grumpy ass old man, who never was able to do anything for your self, so you read and read and read and read, and now you are just old man rivers?

The maker of this video, did work days on this, and probably has done many more videos. was it the best video ever in the world? No probably not, did it make the MCR16 look fun as heck! sure did!
Its hard to make rock crawling look good. because its soo slow, but yes he did make it look fun and interesting, and for some one who has never been to an MCR i would assume that it would make it much more intriguing to go.  I'm no Movie guru, yes i dabble, and yes its work, and yes i do know what it takes to make a good movie. But what we have here is a great movie, that was well produced. I highly even doubt there was any money exchange for this production. And with that said, I tip my hat to the man that produced this because it was well done. 

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
I also watched the video (3x so far) and think is was very well done. Made me wish I was there. Hope to be able to go next year. Looks like an amazing event. I also agree with what megaphoneman said. So if you want to make a video that gnarls likes than you'll need to follow all his rules about video production. All others please continue making cool 4x4 videos any way you like.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.