Author Topic: Gas cans on the cheap  (Read 9410 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Gas cans on the cheap
« on: Aug 29, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
Anyone noticed the price of steel gas cans lately? If not, you must not have bought any lately. Moreover, some gas cans can't ride around in a truck bed for too long without springing a leak.

Well, I got tired of this a few weeks ago. So instead of buying a $60 gas can, I went to the scrap yard and got two old 20lb propane tanks at scrap yard prices. They hold about 5 gallons each, and I plug them with a 3/4" pipe plug. Instead of pouring into my tank (which I can't do without a spout) I use one of these: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7302501

The price of the propane tank gas cans plus an old alternator and a heavy chain was around $20. They work well, so far, as long as you make sure the propane tanks are empty before you begin. One tank even came with a level gauge!

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gas cans on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2017, 06:49:15 PM »
https://m.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-jerry-can-99551.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Good brand, good price. Especially with coupons. I have one, it's been beat up but still doesn't leak. Works great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
I have always used dirt bike cans. Massive spout and when they have started leaking, it was always the o-ring which is cheap and easy to fix.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
$39.99 is still pretty expensive compared to, say, $5. The price of one 5 gallon jerry can from Horrible Fright will buy at least 8 propane tank cans. Propane tanks are tougher, too.

That said, I can see why someone might want a "real" jerry can. But I'd rather put the extra money towards more gas-holding capacity.

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
$39.99 is still pretty expensive compared to, say, $5. The price of one 5 gallon jerry can from Horrible Fright will buy at least 8 propane tank cans. Propane tanks are tougher, too.

That said, I can see why someone might want a "real" jerry can. But I'd rather put the extra money towards more gas-holding capacity.
You pay $40 because it's from Midwest can company, it's not from harbor frieght. You pay for the quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2017, 04:52:16 AM »
Race fuel cans can be bought for about $20. Quickly pours and seals when you put the cap on it.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2017, 06:37:03 AM »
Anyone noticed the price of steel gas cans lately? If not, you must not have bought any lately. Moreover, some gas cans can't ride around in a truck bed for too long without springing a leak.

Well, I got tired of this a few weeks ago. So instead of buying a $60 gas can, I went to the scrap yard and got two old 20lb propane tanks at scrap yard prices. They hold about 5 gallons each, and I plug them with a 3/4" pipe plug. Instead of pouring into my tank (which I can't do without a spout) I use one of these: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7302501

The price of the propane tank gas cans plus an old alternator and a heavy chain was around $20. They work well, so far, as long as you make sure the propane tanks are empty before you begin. One tank even came with a level gauge!

Lewis, Lewis, Lewis…..   :willynilly:

You are always thinking outside the norm.  :smack:

I have used gas cans for umpteen years.  I started using gas cans in 1963, when I started go-kart racing.  Carried four 5 gallon gas cans to the dunes for eight years.  I tried the military style metal cans.  They always leaked around the flat rubber gasket on the lid and they rusted quickly.  I switched to the cheaper plastic jugs and they don’t leak, don’t rust, take a beating, light weight, and I’ve never worn one out.  :thumbs:

Propane gas tanks are heavy, difficult shape to fasten down easily, and have a very sharp unstable metal bottom.  :thumbdown:

If you are able to destroy a $12 or $20 plastic gas jug, there is some weird $hait going on.  If you bought one that is leaking, you are not screwing on the lid tight, or it's defective, take it back.  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :spin:

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 06:44:03 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
That's a deal with free shipping.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Duradincer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • talktobabes
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
Does the $40 really match the quality for the value?

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:07:41 AM »
Welcome aboard Duradincer,

It’s interesting that your first post is a question on two words whose definitions are effectively a matter of conceptual semantics.

There many aspects to value and quality.

Here’s my answer with pomp ‘n stink…

Value - If I see a price at XYZ Company for P/N 123, and I see the exact same part at ABC Company for $20 less which one would be a better value?  But wait…. What if the ABC Company does not answer the phone when you call for a question about the application of the part?  However, XYZ Company answers your phone call and takes the time to answer all of your questions.  What is the comparative value now?

Quality – quality can be very anecdotal, or it can have a benchmark and a comparison with evidence.  How quality is ranked and defined can be a perception or it can have preponderance of evidence.  Is initial quality the same as overall quality?  Does quality have any abstract characteristics like a warranty?  Can you apply the value of a warranty to quality?
If I buy an alternator made by an unknown manufacturer that comes with a life time warranty, and it fails 3 times in 1 year, I can work the warranty in each case and get a free replacement.  Or, I can buy an alternator from a known manufacturer with only a 90 day warranty, and it never fails.  Which alternator is better quality?

Value and quality have other aspects, like risk mitigation.  For example, on a tight family budget I buy cheaper tires for the wife’s car which she drives 4 kids to school and soccer practice every day. Those tires have a limited warranty and an unknown performance history.  Or should I sacrifice something in the budget to buy better tires to mitigate risk of a tire failure and unknown potential life threatening events, and buy a known brand quality tire with a history of safe performance.

The old axiom “You get what you pay for.” generally applies to most things involved in the realm 4-wheeling hobby.

As a matter of safety and convenience, carrying gasoline in a portable gas container does deserve a good healthy look at quality and value, but my experience tells me that price does not necessarily match quality.

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:25:49 AM »
FYI, the price was $19.99 when I posted the link above.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2017, 05:14:42 AM »
FYI, the price was $19.99 when I posted the link above.

And the price for a five gallon propane tank is still about $5. Or maybe $0 if you get lucky.

I've been around a few gas cans in my time. I've never seen a plastic one that could take sun for more than a few months. I've not seen many metal ones, for good reason: They cost a lot more. And the only metal can I ever had sprung a leak after a few months riding around in my pickup.

I know there are tougher metal cans than that one, but that's not the subject of this thread. I started this thread to share the way I found to get a good metal gas can for less than the price of a bad one.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »

I've been around a few gas cans in my time. I've never seen a plastic one that could take sun for more than a few months.

The scepter milspec gas cans work really well and can take the sun
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Dick Foster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
If you're stuck with a bunch of plastic so called CARB cans that won't pour worth a hoot you can get a decent spout to replace that unworkable CARB junk at Tractor Supply or on line somewhere. I think Wally world carries them too. EZ Pour. They'll fit most plastic gas cans out there and make using them much easier and spill proof. Oddly what the CARB spouts are supposed to do but don't.

You can get them on line too.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149L17FC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0149L17FC&pd_rd_wg=weN5Q&pd_rd_r=D612Z5T7CQTW9VZT98BE&pd_rd_w=cjM3c&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

Xarcre

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »
i came upon 5 old gas cans recently, it was a elderly man than owned them and they were in his shed. anyways i want to refurb them and use them, they are super thick durable steel. what is the best way to refurb a old gas can? can you get the powder coated? how would i get all the old gas fumes out and seal the insides? it would be cool to bring them bank to their old glory

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2018, 05:25:28 AM »
I once had a leaky gas can. I filled it with water to keep explosions at bay, and then soldered the hole. I hope it works for you. but try at your own risk.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06:12:31 PM »
Are there actually holes in the can or is it just rust? To remove the rust from my old Jerry can I got at a yard sale for $5, I put in a pound or so if pea gravel, and Naval jelly, and shook it a bunch. I shook it hard to make sure the steel was still sturdy. This worked great. I then coated the inside with Red-Kote. Por15 has a full can liner as well.

Anyways, if there's a few pinoles, just take it to a radiator shop.

Goodluck
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Yotadekime

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Member since Aug '18
  • Danger first
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:03:13 AM »
I was going to get one of those race fuel cans used for dirt bikes, but I ended up just buying 2 wavian NATO spec Jerry cans. They sure cost some coin, but they will last. I can also vouch for the scepter Jerry cans, although I think they don't sell them to civilians anymore.
Naturally a realist, preferably an optimist.