Author Topic: Trappin' at the county fair...  (Read 1618 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Trappin' at the county fair...
« on: Aug 21, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
So Jake and I were stuck at home while Kelly and Caleb went on a red-eye trip to D.C. to see a doctor for Caleb.  We always seem to get into some kind of trouble when left to our own devices. 

The local fair was going on so Jake slapped together an old muscle bike frame with 20" "Machete" skate park tires and a HUGE front sprocket so he could smoke all the other kids who don't understand about gearing.

He wanted to set his live trap because there are so many tracks down thee by the river. He set it about 100 yards upstream from "canoe camp" where about 100 people were staying for the fair and river trips.

Next day we check his trap and he caught something, but it wasn't the coon or otter he was hoping for.  It was a skunk!

So now we are arguing about who has to let the thing loose.  We both chickened out and decided we would have to shoot it so we didn't get sprayed and kicked out of the house for the stink.  Problem was we were right in town and it's not exactly popular to start popping off shots next to a campground full of out of state folks.

Upon further research we found that there was a tractor pull going on that night.  We snuck a pistol into a back pack and waited until a good full throttle tractor pull for sound cover.  This worked and we were able to assassinate the skunk with nobody being the wiser.

Then while it did the chicken for a few seconds it released a rather painful smell, that stung the eyes and throat. Now we had to get this thing out of the trap, de-stench the trap and figure out how to move the body so the people in the camp ground could sleep that night.

We rinsed the trap and the dead skunk in the river a bit, which proved completely ineffective.  So we loaded the trap in the 4runner to submerse it off the boat dock across town.  We got a lot of looks as folks frequenting the many bars hear the loud smell as we idled by.  After dunking the trap the smell was more tolerable, but we realized we had nothing to stuff the dead body in to shield us from the horrible weaponized smell.  Luckily while cruising back down Front Street like nothing happened, we ran into my coffee drinking buddy William, who said he liked the smell, and provided us with 2 garbage bags.

We went back to the fairgrounds and found that the stench was spreading quite quickly.  Then, in the headlights, I picked up the skunk by the head while Jake held the garbage bag open.  We tied the first in a knot and then double bagged it and tied the second bag off too.  Then we put the bag in the back of the 4Runner and took off to hide the body.  The double bagging only kept us safe for about a quarter mile or so, when our eyes started watering again.

We hauled ass out of town and dumped the smelly carcass up on the highway. I think my rear carpet is a total loss at this point.

Anyway that's our skunk/perfect crime story.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Re: Trappin' at the county fair...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »
 :haha:  Might not have seemed too funny at the time, but that's a funny story right there! Those lil stinkers are no fun to deal with, better you than me! My closest skunk encounter is nowhere near as interesting but here it is anyway. A few years ago I headed out the back door first thing in the morning to check on our two dogs and was very surprised to see a skunk just a few feet from me. It made the mistake of wandering into the fenced yard at night and our wolfdog killed it. There was no visible damage, it just looked like it was sleeping. Surprisingly little odor, but even triple-bagging wasn't enough. Backyard and the dog both had a trace of skunk scent for a few weeks. Coulda been a lot worse....  :ack:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:00:02 AM »
A well placed shot to the base of the skull will disallow their ability to dump their sack.  Caught one in a live trap several years back about 5 am and had to dispatch it before leaving for a hike.  I wasn't about to walk up behind it for the shot so I got the best angle I could from just inside my front door to muffle the sound, pulled the trigger... and it ricocheted off the cage and missed him completely.  Second shot was true but I had to aim for the body cause it was thrashing about so much.  My truck stunk for a while but the yard stunk if it was cold or hot when I moved a couple years later
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »
I hate to ask this but what were you going to do with a raccoon if you caught one?
also in hindsight, sounds like you should have tried this http://icwdm.org/wildlife/skunk/SkunkRelease.aspx

He likes to tube skin them and tan the hides.  We kind of have a vendetta against them due to some chicken loss.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:31:43 AM »
Old farmers trick is to load them onto the tail end of a trailer with a long pole.  Strap it down, and back into a body of water.   And leave it there for a while.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen