Author Topic: 300k's "build"  (Read 22492 times)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
300k's "build"
« on: Jul 22, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
I've had this truck since 2014, and I've never really done anything with it. yeah, it's got chev springs, fresh rebuilt carb, carrier bearing mod, couple other things but I never really worked on this truck with a frequency to have a build page.

as of 7-22-17, the motor is 100% toast after a run at the Gap. I blew the lower hose off the motor mount broke 10 miles in to the 20 mile trail which sent the alternator into the lower hose and cut it up, wheeled it (almost) out. Started out just smelling kinda sweet, then it was on 3 cylinders, then 2, then it would only run down hill, then the starter would spin super fast and no more worky worky. FAIL. I was totally committed to destroying this motor half way through the trail because it's super sketchy from the previous owner and the spark plug holes were totally stripped out.

I'm pretty proud of what this motor did, and the sad thing I was just about to start trusting it too. She did a local hunting road which is gnarly SxS stuff...seriously if you have a Toyota with a locker you can drag a big 4 point white tail out. She did some other semi gnarly stuff. Keep in mind, besides the Gap, she is just an open open on 33 inch bald all terrains. during the gap I upgraded to 31 mud terrains.

So, let's go thru a slight list of what I've done so far...loosely in order

•broke and repaired carburetor
•broke and replaced motor mount
•replaced brake master
•first overhaul, removed body lift, chevy springs, carrier bearing upgrade
•slave cylinder took a dump, towed home at like 10pm
•removed and re-installed windshield as it was already half way out
•LCE Flex fan and spacer install
•rebuilt carb

Todo

•build new motor
•V6 Rad
•clutch
•rear brake shoes
•motor mounts and Tcase mounts, probably ruffstuff motor mounts and Locktup Tcase mount
•Tcase skid plate, probably budbuilt single case as I don't intend to run dual cases
•aussie locker in the rear
•Hi steer, maybe Marlin, probably allpro or skys, whichever is on sale
•Skys crawler springs
•fix rear shackles, too short. need to move hanger back to stock location and make shackles that are long enough
•replace bed. bob job is ghetto. wouldn't trust sitting on it, quarter fender things are missing, looks stupid.
•possibly IFS rear axle and IFS hubs

things that you all want done that just are never going to happen
•LS swap
•37s or bigger
•paint + clear coat
•tons
•links
•other :stopit: stuff that shouldn't be on toyotas :gap:

here she is nearly when I got her, 4 inch body lift, stock springs on 4 inch blocks, stock taco rims with horrid 2 inch spacers

here is a mostly recent pic, I painted those ugly orange wipers
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 06:42:58 AM by 300k »
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Re: 300k's "build"
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »

So, can you tell us about your vehicle and engine?  ???

How did the engine fail?  Over heated? Ran it out oil? Threw a rod?  ???

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

to answer your question, blew the motor because I had no other option. I ran it out of coolant and it has no compression.

Ok, here we go. I was attempting a trail that I'm sure you've at least heard of, if not ran yourself... good ol' Charouleau Gap, one of the most prominent trails in southern AZ when DRY. A few months ago right after it rained, I went in about 4 miles but stopped at a running wash because my dad (passenger) didn't want to cross. after I found out it was only about 6 inches deep, it was time to start heading back. Well, yesterday I only wanted to go in about 6 miles which is at the top of the gap. as soon as I went past the first few obstacles, I felt like I was trapped in. the trail was washed out from the monsoon, and kinda muddy at the catalina side...so we kept going. made it 6 miles in, got to a pretty weird part. I decided to spot my dad because I felt like I could spot better than he could (he can't...lol). Well, trying to spot someone in a vehicle with stock steering is almost impossible, the steering wheel flicks wherever it wants to. he laid it on its side but no body damage.

blah blah blah, tons of gnarly stuff, really need lockers and 4.70s...got to a spot that would have been a breeze with a rear locker, watching it on video I can see coolant puking out but I wasn't told that was happening.

Specs: 1984 Toyota, 22r motor.
early block and head, late intake, probably late exhaust

I can't say I'm mad about losing the motor, it was super sketchy from the previous owner.

So, how should I build her? Early 22r? late 22r? hybrid? which intake is the best thermostat gasket wise? paper or rubber o-ring?

oh, and by the way I made it almost the entire 20 miles, died basically on the victory lap. a few hill climbs but nothing i'd be stuck on if my motor was working. pulled out by a f-350 wrecker on d60s and 38s.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2018, 05:26:15 PM by 300k »

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
On what engine to build, what parts do you have access to?  I love the early stuff but there is nothing wrong with laser block either.  Do you have a rod through the block or not?  If not you can probably use your block.  If you do use the early stuff try to find a 20r head just for fun...

If you are up for a little more work a 3RZ swap is pretty nice.  You know I like the 22r better but if you happen to find a deal on a 3RZ doner vehicle I would consider it. 

Mudder has a set of 3RZ stuff he got from up here.  Not sure what his plans are with it but I think he goes to school somewhere in AZ.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017, 08:00:42 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
I'm prolly gonna find a laser block as Tod said they were a better block, and then just run an engnbldr super stock head on it. so the search for a laser block starts

Well, while I'm up I could add some pics.

I've docked these images by quite a bit (so that Dave could see them :rofl: ), if you'd like to see the full size, right click and view image  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 02:33:39 AM by 300k »

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
His heads are later style, which are a little thinner head and a little taller block.  I guess the combustion chamber is a more efficient design on the later style and the pistons are more like flat tops with a relief.  If you look at your early 22r pistons they have a dog dish on top which is supposedly less than ideal.  I am thinking of building a straight up 20r next time because they have flat top pistons stock.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
 :eye:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »
How u assembled the block to the engine mount plate is the preferred method. Use engine builders gasket, it's actually an improved gasket of the OEM design.  Use copper gasket spray on both sides.  Just call the engine builder dude and have a list of questions wrote down, he is an awesome old dude and will answer all your questions and guide you.  Don't go stingy, get new oil pump, water pump, head bolts, all timing components (steel guide), tstat ect.  Use rtv on both sides of the timing cover gaskets, very thin layer, I take gasket and apply it on with rubber gloves.  I also recommend that what ever block you get you should take to a machine shop if you don't have the tools to measure properly.  Most of these older engines are past a honing and re-ring.  You most likely will be going .040" over. Couple of these cranks I've seen wear well.  Good luck!  Oh, and to use dual row timing chain set I think you have to use an older timing cover with the older water pump, it's not really an aftermarket design to my knowledge, but over kill if you ask me.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
If you build it, they will come.

Remember, pre-lube is your friend.  That is all.
– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2017, 01:38:12 AM »
OK, so first off, I cleared some stuff out of this thread...what I cleared was stuff that was either a brand debate, or stuff that was no longer accurate. I started off with a totally different plan than what I have now, so I deleted my old posts about my previous block.

My 020 block finally came home from the machine shop. Bored 020, decked 7 thousandths, threads chased, boiled, magna fluxed, etc etc etc. Rods were rebushed and my valve cover and oil pan were hot tanked.

The valve cover needs to be modified in a few ways. First I need to drill out the oil baffle a little bit for the dual row timing chain, then I need to cut out a bit of gusset for the head studs. I figure while doing all of this, I may as well just drill out the baffle and drill and tap for screws. Before that, I'm doing the most important thing and polishing the valve cover. I'm just kind of using what I have laying around the house. I started with 220 grit as I don't wanna remove a bunch of material, then went to 320, then 1000 (lol). It has some pretty decent pitting around it so even if I do bring it to a mirror, it won't look right. Right now it's showing color and is ridiculously smooth so I'm happy with that. Before it was really crusty matte and felt like crusty cardboard.

simply put, 220 isn't enough to get the pitting out, and 1000 isn't even close to being able to get the scratches from the 320 out.

« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2017, 08:52:03 AM by 300k »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »
320 > 500 > 800 > 1500 :beerchug:

and depending you can go 2000 > 2500 > 3000 > 5000 and then buff and polish for a mirror finish
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 11:02:15 AM by THK Matt »
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
Shiny, shiny. Plus 4 HP.
– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
320 > 500 > 800 > 1500 :beerchug:

and depending you can go 2000 > 2500 > 3000 > 5000 and then buff and polish for a mirror finish

yeah I know how it's "supposed" to be done. problem is when you get all that in the cart, you have like 60 dollars worth of sand paper haha

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »
Just drop it off at my buddy Dane's house and come back a day or two later.  Anything left there becomes shiny.
– Steve McQueen

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »
yeah I know how it's "supposed" to be done. problem is when you get all that in the cart, you have like 60 dollars worth of sand paper haha

see if a local body shop will sell you a sheet of each. be cheaper.
we buy in bulk at my shop
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »
Insert photos here:
– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
That's not exactly what I had in mind...
– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
well I pulled the blown motor out and got the new one built and installed this morning. when I was driving it to break it in I actually drove off a cliff and died so I didn't get any pictures but it ran good

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
well I pulled the blown motor out and got the new one built and installed this morning. when I was driving it to break it in I actually drove off a cliff and died so I didn't get any pictures but it ran good

:haha:  And then.... you woke up!!  :laugh:

Gnarls.  :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
 :worthless:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
:worthless:

I regret to inform you, but this thread is worthless with pics!

well, if you insist

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
Arizona really looks like Arizona!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Keep em comin!
– Steve McQueen

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:19:36 PM »
Next time not so close.
I would like to see more of the surrounding area.  :turtle3:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »
 :popcorn:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
Next time not so close.
I would like to see more of the surrounding area.  :turtle3:

Huh, I'd have thought you'd been fine with that shot as you can see red in the picture

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »
Stripped blown motor to bare block. Also deleted anything to do with beer on my build page

I'm trying not to be an ass with removing posts, but we haven't even gotten off the first page without getting horribly derailed. This build at one point was 3 pages deep with garbage

so let's try and get back on topic , crank was .01/.01, both mains and rods had a lot of copper showing, as well as gouges. Block was .04 over, with a good bit of horizontal gouging. This would be a good block to go .060 and hybrid if the deck was any good

plastic guides were flopping around everywhere, broken in several places. Something is bad that I didn't see, though. the head still has the spark plugs in and I was turning the motor over no problem
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 05:44:18 PM by 300k »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »
299k...it's been 40 days since a new post in your build thread???.... what's up?  :dunno:

Gnarls. ???

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
here we go boys!

22REP order came in a while ago. Cylinder head, refurb'd rocker assembly, billet half moons, stainless freeze plugs, and some hardware.

I have mostly everything I need. With my 15 month early graduation, I should have a nice window of time to close up the engine. I'd have started on the 7th when I got the package, but at 11pm on the 6th I ended up with a pretty nasty toe injury. It's healed up nicely without a hospital visit, but since the 12th it's been super windy and blowing the tarp garage around. I'm not interested in the tarp garage getting blown away in from the wind and having rain get in my engine. I'll probably wait until the weekend where it will warm up to 70 and the winds will die down from 30mph to 10mph or less.

I still have some things I need
-timing cover needs to be decked by .07" to match the block
-flywheel needs machining and I need to order a clutch from Marlin. I'm thinking 1200lbs
-rocker cover needs some work to clear the head studs and dual row timing chain
-head gasket needs to be ordered from Toyota... any suggestions? front and rear main seals? timing cover gasket?

The most important missing piece is I have not firmly chosen a camshaft yet.

I am running a 22REP head that has some port work done to it as well as their 75 lbs valve springs which they claim are good up to 0.50 lift cam. With the port work and valve springs, they claim I can run any cam in this head. I'm not trying to take that to the bank and run that .527 lift cam, but just for reference that's what I was told. The head still has stock sized valves.

This truck spends most of its time in 2WD running garbage to the dump or hauling propane. The trails here are pretty tame so I tend to only hit them after rain for the extra challenge...being in Arizona, that means I seldom hit the trails for more than an hour at a time. With that in mind, I'm interested in having a street-ish engine that revs up a bit rather than a tractor motor that falls on its face early.

If I call LCE, there's a dude that doesn't get his coffee or something because he's always extra crabby and I think he's the only one that answers the phone. He pretty much won't recommend anything else other than THIS CAM, but with this extra port work and 75lbs valve springs, I've been looking at THIS ONE. I'm not doubting the guys at LCE and I'm sure that cam will work great, but what do you guys think? bestgen and Glen I'm looking at you :)
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 09:48:09 PM by 300k »

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
I like, shiny!  I've installed both 1200 and 1600 lb clutches, didn't notice a difference in either one really, but never had a slip in my personal 1200lb. yes, agree with all oem seals and gaskets. rocker cover clearance should be easy if you have a little grinder that sneaks in there, there are just two spots towards front near oil cap end... as far as cam, I have no opinion, make it lope, lol.  Ohh, Dilly Dilly!