Author Topic: Aisin Carburetor Rebuild  (Read 7261 times)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Aisin Carburetor Rebuild
« on: Jun 12, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »
This has been looming over my head for 4 years now (and every time I try to start my truck), so I figure since I've had the kit for 3.5 years, I may as well start now with the surplus of good info that has been posted to Marlin Crawler in the past 3 months. I started out by recording myself pulling off all the vacuum lines and labeling them with colored zip ties. right now I have the carburetor off and I'm wondering what should be removed before dunking it in Simple Green overnight Please do not dunk your entire carb in simple green overnight. If you're going to do anything, pull it apart, remove the float, and put it in simple green for an hour max, simple green will mess up your aluminum, making it rough and black in color... the real trick is, PINESOL! It looked like my carb had gone thru an acid bath after a few hours of sitting. perfect and clean, covered by the old raunchy air filter

It seems that the AP is not making a full stroke, which might be why my truck doesn't respond to me pumping the pedal (apparently not an issue, thanks H8PVMNT). Basically the only way to start my truck is to either lay on the starter, or spray carb cleaner and lay on the starter. I'm at about 3,000 feet elevation so if anyone has jetting suggestions that would be helpful. Also if H8PVMNT would chime in and suggest what piggy back systems I should and should not have, that would be awesome (he actually lists everything on his thread, something I didn't recall.)
I can't post attachments due to file size restrictions, but as stuff gets more in depth I'll post pictures thru Imgur  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2017, 10:37:27 PM by 300k »
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Aisin Carburetor Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »
.... I have the carburetor off and I'm wondering what should be removed before dunking it in Simple Green overnight

I would NOT leave my carburetor "dunking" in ANYTHING overnight.  :shake_head:

Gnarls.  :disturbed:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
I would NOT leave my carburetor "dunking" in ANYTHING overnight.  :shake_head:

Gnarls.  :disturbed:

A lot of people let their carbs sit in pinesol, some people for 2 days or more. However, I'm glad you brought that up because it appears that simple green isn't so good for aluminum. "There can be only one", and it's the original scent pinesol.

Gnarls saves me from junking my entire carb :gap:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »

Gnarls saves me from junking my entire carb :gap:

No charge.  :thumbs:

Gnarls. :D
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
A lot of people let their carbs sit in pinesol, some people for 2 days or more.

There's no point to that.  Good ol' carb cleaner cleans a carb instantly!!  :yesnod:

Gnarls.  :gap:

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »

There's no point to that.  Good ol' carb cleaner cleans a carb instantly!!  :yesnod:

Gnarls.  :gap:

the idea is that I can bring it in the house and it won't smell like carb cleaner or fuel. I got an instant headache from just pulling that carb and messing around with it.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
the idea is that I can bring it in the house and it won't smell like carb cleaner or fuel. I got an instant headache from just pulling that carb and messing around with it.

OK, I never thought of cleaning my carb inside the house... although I've never lived in sub-zero temperatures. 

Geezzzzz... I can't stand the smell of burnt pop-corn in the house, I can't imagine the smell of carb cleaner!

Gnarls.

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2017, 07:00:58 PM »
OK, I never thought of cleaning my carb inside the house... although I've never lived in sub-zero temperatures. 

Geezzzzz... I can't stand the smell of burnt pop-corn in the house, I can't imagine the smell of carb cleaner!

Gnarls.

I don't have a garage and we're heading into 3 digit temperature. In the house it goes.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

I don't have a garage and we're heading into 3 digit temperature. In the house it goes.

Yeah.... next week we will be into the teens..... 116d F!!  :yikes:

Gnarls.

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »
Yeah.... next week we will be into the teens..... 116d F!!  :yikes:

Gnarls.

we're only getting 114°F, and no, I'm not gonna sit outside with the wind like it is and try to rebuild a carb lol

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2017, 07:14:37 PM »
Get or build a shed and set it up as a shop!!

"Good ol' carb cleaner cleans a carb instantly!!" Yep, if you could still the real good old carb cleaner, the stuff now days is like Kool-Aid compared to what I used back in the 50's. Thank you EPA!! :_order: 
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »
Man we are going to be the Aisan carb tech source of the world!  We almost need an Aisan carb folder to put all these threads in for ease of finding answers.

The pinesol works amazingly well, but it does take a little more time and a bit more tooth brush action. It smells better, is cheap, and doesn't seem to eat aluminum or small plastic parts.

I used a carb cleaner dip from Napa in a gallon paint type can with the basket in it on my last rebuild.  It was a little faster than the pinesol but still took all day to really de-crustify everything.

Whatever you use get a few cans of cheap spray carb cleaner to blow out all the little passages.

On your jets, About all I have found we can do is adjust isle mixture and swap out the main jet.  I believe they jeted these things based more on the different piggy-back systems than elevation.  Figure out what your stock jet is and order just one or two leaner and one or two richer Hitachi main jet.  You are higher elevation which should mean leaner, but if you strip it down or free up the intake air mine seemed to like richer.

As far as the piggy-backs go, take a highlighter and highlight everything you have on your truck listed in the manual that has "improved drivability" or better cold starting, in the explanation.  These are the things you want to keep.  You can do away with these too, but the carb becomes more rough and raw :).
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
OK...After about 13 hours straight removing, disassembling, cleaning, breakin s**t, it's back on the truck and lookin purdy...but MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I grabbed second on my driveway hill, which could stall me in 1st gear before. It runs like a stabbed pig, grabbing third where I'm normally limited to second, breaking traction with mini donuts, and just pulling HARD. I must have been making about 50HP before the rebuild or something. I didn't do anything special, just stripped cleaned and slapped back together. I used a Walker kit (waste of time, gaskets may as well have been cut with a knife) and removed the choke. Currently I have the choke zip tied open.

I didn't mess with jets because the main jet access plug was really, REALLY tight and I didn't want to break anything. If you have any doubts about rebuilding your own carb, look past them and rebuild the dang thing. It's really not bad at all and makes a huge difference.

My total was about as follows

Carb kit $50 (go for the NAPA the Walker was junk)
Pinesol $12 (with the container I was using, I needed two but only had one [and no truck], so I ended up mixing in some water...get two of the big 60oz)
Carb cleaner $6 (Don't cheap out on this, buy at least 5 cans. I only bought two and ended up having to use starting fluid to blow out passages)
Vacuum nipples $2-$4 (already had them)

To do list
A/F gauge $75
LCE filter adapter  $40
Jets $14
Manual choke setup $10
Buy Napa kit so I can go over the missing pieces from the Walker kit $60 (You mean I get to do this all over again?? :gap: )

Now, if anyone can answer my question, that'd be sweet. If I didn't do anything performance oriented, and basically only cleaned the bowl and blew out passages (and de-gummed the slow jet), why do I have so much more power? At most I added a little more fuel to the bowl, only 1mm of adjustment.

As for now, the throttle linkage is pretty messed up so that needs to be gone over tomorrow, and it wants to stall. I think it's a vacuum leak, I made huge changes to the vacuum system in a short period of time.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017, 12:33:28 PM by 300k »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:51:11 AM »
...Now, if anyone can answer my question, that'd be sweet. If I didn't do anything performance oriented, and basically only cleaned the bowl and blew out passages (and de-gummed the slow jet), why do I have so much more power? At most I added a little more fuel to the bowl, only 1mm of adjustment.

Hey 300k,

Congratulations on a job well done!

I’m glad you got your hands dirty and tackled that little scary monster.

Thank you for the nice write up.

Well, I believe you already know the answer to your question.  If just cleaning it and rebuilding it does what it did, then it should be obvious that it is a very “sensitive” part of the engine’s performance.  We know that AFR is extremely important to an engine’s performance.  The very smallest changes in AFR can have very significant changes to power output.  H8PVMNT has been describing very very small changes in his carb that produce very big changes in throttle response, power, fuel consumption, and cold starts.

Judging from the history of carburetor designs, technology evolution, and the huge volumes of books and discussions on carburetor tuning and modifications, it may be THE most important component on an engine that can have the most profound affect on performance.

Disassembling and rebuilding a carb the first time can be a little intimidating because of the little parts and pieces and required very precise measurements, but once you do it, it doesn’t seem so scary.

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2017, 07:21:49 AM »
You just had something plugged up that isn't now, thus the new smokey burnouts  :thumbs:. Living with an old crusty carb is like eating off dirty dishes...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
Okay, after a semi-successful carburetor rebuild, I have decided it needs to happen again...either too much fumes or I smacked my head pretty hard, huh? I was only able to replace two o-rings because all the other ones went missing (the kit has had the plastic off it for 4 years, bouncing around in the back of the Xtra cab), however upon purchasing my new NAPA kit, I've found it's the wrong kit.

I was after "PART # CRB 21235A" for 58.49
but received "PART # CRB 21368A" for 39.99

I called ahead to avoid this, but I really should have done more research to give out the correct part number instead of asking for an 84 22r carburetor rebuild kit. I drove 25 miles one way to pick it up, kinda skimmed over it trying not to void the return plastic (Napa guy said if it was the wrong kit, I can return it) and couldn't see anything because the gaskets were on top. I was thrown off by the price, the shape of the gaskets, and the "Pump plunger assembly", but didn't want to come home empty handed. LESSON LEARNED.

Next time I go into town I'll pick up the correct kit and then I can tear into the carb again. Oh, and I also want to take back my Lift Mate...that thing broke after one use. On the next one I plan to take more pictures for the thread and maybe even add some videos to demonstrate how to test the parts per the FSM. Videos about rebuilding this carb are kinda scarce.