Author Topic: Dynomax Super Turbo Review  (Read 1805 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Dynomax Super Turbo Review
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »
I just had a 2.25" pipe put on from the cat back and went with the Walker Dynomax Super Turbo (#17747).  If I'd talked to the kid doing the actual install, I'd have had him do it from where the two intermediate pipes join all the way back because he was totally on board with elminating the cat and forming the end of the pipe to fit the collector from the mid pipes.   Guess I'll take it back and have them do that later.

For now, I'm totally pleased with this muffler.  MUCH bigger pipe than stock yet it's quieter than it was before I took it in and has a nice deep tone to it.  The old muffler and pipe had sort of a raspy sound to it and much higher pitch.

If there's any power difference at all it's in the 3k-4k RPM range.  Don't know if I'm really feeling an improvement or I just *want* to... LOL.

Anyway, just thought I'd put this here in case anyone's thinking about upgrading to a 2.25" pipe and wondering about a great flowing, quiet muffler.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,228
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Review
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
Are you running a header or stock manifold?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
Exhaust was all stock 'til I put this on.  Wasn't really expecting a power improvement.  I had to cut the tailpipe off to clear the new suspension, the original muffler had rust flakes falling off it and the pipes didn't look much better so this is "stage 1" of the new exhaust.  Next step will be to modify as I mentioned above - bigger pipe from the collector where the intermediate pipes join and eliminate the cat.  The two pipes necking down to a single tiny pipe and that old school converter have to be the big bottlenecks in this system.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »
Update:  The stock cat has been removed as well as the section of small pipe from where the intermediate pipes join.  From that point it is now 2.25" all the way out the back.

The system got a lot louder and a bit more "buzzy."  I'm still happy with this muffler, it's no louder than the totally shot stock muffler that was on it and the little bitty stock pipe, but removing the cat and enlarging the pipe all the way to the front definitely increased the volume substantially. 
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted: