Author Topic: Universal spring bushing source?  (Read 3401 times)

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
Universal spring bushing source?
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »
So, in my quest to reduce some body sway I started looking at replacing the spring and shackle bushings on my truck. Turns out the springs are Alcan orbit eyes, with the orbit part removed. The spring eyes on these are HUGE. So I am needing bushings with a OD of 2.5" (!) Additionally, the perches for orbit eye springs are very wide, 3 5/8", so the "lip" of the bushing needs to be fairly wide as well. Although I can probably use some huge washers to take up that space if need be.

Any ideas? Google is only bringing up a $65 dollar kit for an entire vehicle, and I would need three of these kits to get enough of these bushings.
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Universal spring bushing source?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »
Try Energy Suspension or Daystar's websites. They must have dimensions for their bushings??
Time to go wheelin!

andykrow [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
Yeah they both have a kit for the rear springs for an XJ. I would only use the part of the kit for the front eyelet on the XJ. Like I was saying it's about 65 for one kit and I would need three kits to get enough bushings, and then have a bunch of leftover useless bushings, haha. NOt sure i want to spend $200 on these stupid springs. They don't sell the bushings apart from the kit.

I think I just need to cut everything off and put normal aftermarket stuff on there. Alcan says with spring eyes this big I'm never really going to get rid of the excess body sway, even with fresh bushings. Blarg.
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
What about putting the orbit eyes back in?
Time to go wheelin!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
Might try Daystar, looks like they make the to order.
http://daystarproductsinternational.com/bushing-request-form/

Or energy Suspension
http://energysuspension.com/universal-products/link-flange-type-bushings-universal-mounts-isolators.html
Looks like they have a universal kit w/a 2" O/D bushing, you could then use a piece of 2.5" x .250 wall tube as an insert

I think I just need to cut everything off and put normal aftermarket stuff on there. Alcan says with spring eyes this big I'm never really going to get rid of the excess body sway, even with fresh bushings. Blarg.
Could just replace the Alcan mains.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

andykrow [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
What about putting the orbit eyes back in?

After talking to Alcan they said the orbit eyes are really not good for daily driving. You can get away with them in the rear but front is not recommended for highway driving. Plus the eyes are $120 each.

Might try Daystar, looks like they make the to order.
http://daystarproductsinternational.com/bushing-request-form

Good find! This could be my solution. I could have them sized so the bolt goes into some tubing which then goes into the bushing. Reducing the amount of bushing required which should stiffen everything up a bit.

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
How about installing a steel bushing with OD the same as the orbit eye and an ID of a typical toy bushing

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Go buy a length of Delrin and have someone turn them for you on a lathe, been running them for 5 years with out a problem and they show no wear!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity