Author Topic: adapter to go from vw tdi to toyota R-A60 manual transmission  (Read 9258 times)

cochranecanada

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so i have a 4 door v6 6 speed 4x4 tacoma that keeps leaking from the timing cover so i have repaired it 3 times and now have bought a 2002 jetta tdi that i want to swap into it but i cant seem to find any adapter plates to go from the tdi to my R-A60 manual transmission. Everything i find is on a first gen tacoma 5 speed so i guess my question is my R-A60 bell housing the same as any other like the older 5 speeds? or has anyone seen or herd of an adapter plate for what im looking to do?

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so i have a 4 door v6 6 speed 4x4 tacoma that keeps leaking from the timing cover so i have repaired it 3 times and now have bought a 2002 jetta tdi that i want to swap into it but i cant seem to find any adapter plates to go from the tdi to my R-A60 manual transmission. Everything i find is on a first gen tacoma 5 speed so i guess my question is my R-A60 bell housing the same as any other like the older 5 speeds? or has anyone seen or herd of an adapter plate for what im looking to do?
The TDI engine is a simple mounting plate. Honestly if you can't swap bell housing you may just try the older style adapter and drill and tap new holes in it for your bell housing.

Acme adapter is what I used for my older swap, but seeing his plate now I would have just made one myself out of a steel plate it's that simple.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i thought of that also but what i was affraid of is having a bolt or two that wouldnt be doable if they were to lign up , also then i would have to figuere out starter as well..... is that not a jackpot ? 

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Like I said your best bet is to trace out your bellhousing pattern and then Trace out the adapter plate and then you will have the pattern in which you'll need to do and you can make a new plate just as easy. I personally wouldn't do an Acme adapter again because he spends a ton of money on a zinc coating which is nice but also drives the price up. It realistically is only a $40 piece of thick Steel.

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what thickness would you suggest for the steel? Ive seen some videos on using plexi glass as a template so i may just try it. so what else do you think ill run into? ie fly wheel clutch etc? thanks for the help

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what thickness would you suggest for the steel? Ive seen some videos on using plexi glass as a template so i may just try it. so what else do you think ill run into? ie fly wheel clutch etc? thanks for the help
The VW engine has a small little metal gasket on the VW flywheel. It could be used as a template to drill your holes in a stock Toyota flywheel at the one I got in my acme kit looked like it was just re drilled in the center to mate a VW crankshaft.
As far as the thickness of steel I believe the acme plate is 3/8" thick maybe 1/2"
You will need to get the depth right so your input shaft seats properly and doesn't bottom out on the crankshaft side.

I have to take my transmission out this week to fix a squealing throw out bearing so I'll take a bunch of pictures of the plate for you to help you understand what it is.

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey i cant thank you enough buddy....... also could you throw me a couple measurements off of your front mount i seen some pics and it looks great. why doesnt anyone use the vw factory motor mount block ...... the aluminium one with the 2 bolts?

did you wire everything yourself? i found someone to make me a harness but i have to mail him both harnesses and itll be almost 1500$ to make a stand alone system with the malone tune so i was just wondering what your thoughts are on that?

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey i cant thank you enough buddy....... also could you throw me a couple measurements off of your front mount i seen some pics and it looks great. why doesnt anyone use the vw factory motor mount block ...... the aluminium one with the 2 bolts?

did you wire everything yourself? i found someone to make me a harness but i have to mail him both harnesses and itll be almost 1500$ to make a stand alone system with the malone tune so i was just wondering what your thoughts are on that?
I had thought about sending my harness to that guy also. I saved myself the $1500 and I'm thankful everyday I did it myself. It was stupid simple. In one of my video logs on YouTube I show exactly how many wires it takes to run. I wired it myself with a Hanes manual it was super easy once I understood how the VW system worked.

The VW engine mount is very large and sticks out to far it makes fitting a radiator and fan difficult.

I have to make another engine mount for a friend who is doing the same swap I did right now so when I get his mount made I'll put together some drawings and measurements.

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
your the best thanks for all the info im gonna hit up the you tube and check out the wiring to see if this is something i could figure out. I should have a daily driver on the road this week and can hopefully start ripping the 05 tacoma 4x4 6 speed apart..... the tdi is ready to go just have to do the delete and what not..... why isnt there any second gen tacos with the tdi? i cant seem to keep a timing seal in my v6 and its just as hard on fuel as my 1 ton cummins

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
There are a couple guys who have 2nd gens with TDI in them just look harder

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
your the best thanks for all the info im gonna hit up the you tube and check out the wiring to see if this is something i could figure out. I should have a daily driver on the road this week and can hopefully start ripping the 05 tacoma 4x4 6 speed apart..... the tdi is ready to go just have to do the delete and what not..... why isnt there any second gen tacos with the tdi? i cant seem to keep a timing seal in my v6 and its just as hard on fuel as my 1 ton cummins
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Etdiclub%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D329625&share_tid=329625&share_fid=6491&share_type=t

1993 toyota sr5 ALH tdi swap (3 week project)

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
still no 05 to 2015 tacoma tdi swapped .....

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
still no 05 to 2015 tacoma tdi swapped .....
That's because the newer ones use the d4d

I actually was looking to do this on my 2010 Tacoma when the engine dies. It's a imported engine so everything pretty much just plugs and plays.

https://youtu.be/-ZluelDh4FQ

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
yeah i looked into that..... seemed to be a 15000$ job by the end of it...... that was if you imported it... to get a shop to do it your talking 25 30 gs....... I bought my jetta for 600 and would like to spend 2500 to 3000 in the complete swap

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
and dont get me started on the 4 bt lol i drive an 07 cummins 5.9 but again the price is realisticly 15000$ by the time your done and you still have an old beat up 4bt out of a bread truck or saw mill

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
and dont get me started on the 4 bt lol i drive an 07 cummins 5.9 but again the price is realisticly 15000$ by the time your done and you still have an old beat up 4bt out of a bread truck or saw mill
Well the 4bt is too heavy anyway.

The VW is a great option for sure. But being the engine bay on the 05-12 Tacoma is short you may have issues.
I have a 2010 Tacoma I'll measure my ALH from front to back and check my engine bay to see if it fits.

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Not the best pictures but hope it helps. Once I am done setting the truck up I have to disassemble the entire thing to have the frame sandblasted and coated, so when I do that I will pull the flywheel off and take more pictures but it won't be for a couple months

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i watched your build last night on youtube...... i lost it when you were driving that around......unreal how pumped you actually were..... i think ill do the plexy thing and make my adapter that way..... drill the flywheel to match bolt it up and weld the mounts up where ever they fall.. and maybe use the tdi fans with my rad if i could make it jive

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i watched your build last night on youtube...... i lost it when you were driving that around......unreal how pumped you actually were..... i think ill do the plexy thing and make my adapter that way..... drill the flywheel to match bolt it up and weld the mounts up where ever they fall.. and maybe use the tdi fans with my rad if i could make it jive
I used the TDI fan and it works great but I'll be switching to a slim mishimoto on a temperature relay

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hmmmm i may have to do the same if i dont have enough length..... i could maybe fit it between my grill and my current rad location. The starter is on the driver side going into the trans so that makes things easyer does it not?

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hmmmm i may have to do the same if i dont have enough length..... i could maybe fit it between my grill and my current rad location. The starter is on the driver side going into the trans so that makes things easyer does it not?
No the TDI has a bunch of hard lines and hoses on that side when turned for RWD might make it harder but if you modify all those lines it's possible.

cochranecanada [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
yeah for sure it definitely doesnt like the idea... theres a hard line going to the turbo area and a steel antifreeze line that raps around the engine that i think is for the heater core but if possible would make the rest of the project go easier i hope. I still dont know if i have the wiring figuered out yet but i have a bunch a notes and a good head start so i think i will start ripping the tacoma apart tomorrow

Bad_Vision

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
yeah for sure it definitely doesnt like the idea... theres a hard line going to the turbo area and a steel antifreeze line that raps around the engine that i think is for the heater core but if possible would make the rest of the project go easier i hope. I still dont know if i have the wiring figuered out yet but i have a bunch a notes and a good head start so i think i will start ripping the tacoma apart tomorrow
Best of luck! If you have any questions let me know