Author Topic: How To Seperate Shift Lever Into 2 Pieces (top rod and lower ball)  (Read 1312 times)

partyman666

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My truck is an '01 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 manual trans and I just recently got through a huge fiasco of trying to remove the cap/locking ring at the top of my W59 transmission shifter so that I could pull out the shift lever and replace the seat and socket.  In the process, the cap/ring got pretty banged up, so I ordered a new one from Toyota and want to put it on.  I can't figure out how to get the two halves of the shift lever separated from one another though so I can remove the cap and spring.

Does anyone know how these are held together?  I can't tell if they are threaded into one another or pressed in.  I see what appears to be a dab of dried white excess glue that is dribbled out of one of the pieces near the joint, but I'm hoping the whole assembly isn't glued together and this glue was just used to hold a threaded sleeve around the lower portion of the lever.

Has anyone ever separated those two pieces of their lever?

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
As far as I know they are glued/epoxied together . Friend heated his up to bend it and ended up with two pieces!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

partyman666 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
As far as I know they are glued/epoxied together . Friend heated his up to bend it and ended up with two pieces!!

Thanks.  Do you know what he used for an epoxy to put them back together?

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Do you know what he used for an epoxy to put them back together?

He got a different one at Pick-N-Pull!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity