Author Topic: ToyBrota's 85 Xtracab Build up.  (Read 71657 times)

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: ToyBrota's 85 Xtracab Build up.
« Reply #180 on: Dec 03, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
I bet it turned left really well and right not so great.

I know what your dealing with toybrota. It's common when you retain the anti wrap bar and have the stock push pull steering.  Stock the leaves are almost flat so your bar and tie rod arw on the same plane. Lift it and it no longer stays happy. Save up and get a high steer set up. You'll never regret it.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Dec 03, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »
If he has the torque rod off it will cause the truck to pull to the right when braking hard. I went through yhe same thing after my lift. I'll see if I can find the post talking about it.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #182 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:01:19 AM »
My 85 was stock steering, no drop drag link.

Gnarls.

Toybrota,

Well... I went back in time in my old brain cells to when I was modifying my 85, lift and spring packs, and YES!!....  I did install a drop drag link.  :yesnod:  I probably have some photos, but I can't find any right now.

BUT... I do not remember having a steering pull problem... although it IS possible and I just don't remember it being a serious deal and I fixed it.  I am picky about the steering and braking. :driving:

Gnarls. :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

85Buckett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 187
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #183 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
When I was talking torque rod I do not mean the drag link that is picture above. I mean the dog bone link inside the frame rail. That mamajama should be parallel to the ground not like this \ but like this _  that will help resolve some of your issues.  You can either buy a 70 dollar bracket from Northwest Off-road or make one.  Or you can add length to the rod to add some slack to the geometry. You can weld some stuff in there build your own rod or buy one from Australia.

Bushing Kit

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/8.7101

Aussie Parts

http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/hilux-adjustable-torque-rod/

My 85 pile has power push pull with a dropped draglink and I flipped the J arm ball.  I bought the rod  bracket from NW off-road. It's a nice kit and time saver for the 70 bucks. I could have built it but meh $ = shows up at door.

I'm not going to say my 85 steers well but it works fine It's also running 34 swampers and dual cases with a 4:1 rear case plus its locked in the front and spooled in the rear so with all that driveline bind going steering is more like playing horseshoes.
Pirate 4x4 S/N  Tripower389

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #184 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »
When I was talking torque rod I do not mean the drag link that is picture above. I mean the dog bone link inside the frame rail. That mamajama should be parallel to the ground not like this \ but like this _  that will help resolve some of your issues.  You can either buy a 70 dollar bracket from Northwest Off-road or make one.  Or you can add length to the rod to add some slack to the geometry. You can weld some stuff in there build your own rod or buy one from Australia.

Bushing Kit

Aussie Parts

My 85 pile has power push pull with a dropped draglink and I flipped the J arm ball.  I bought the rod  bracket from NW off-road. It's a nice kit and time saver for the 70 bucks. I could have built it but meh $ = shows up at door.

I'm not going to say my 85 steers well but it works fine It's also running 34 swampers and dual cases with a 4:1 rear case plus its locked in the front and spooled in the rear so with all that driveline bind going steering is more like playing horseshoes.
Thanks for this write up!

Honestly, I'd rather just dump money into a high steer kit. I have a guy that can weld it for me, so it only really makes sense to just invest in the high steer.

I'm gonna bleed the brakes and see if that helps, I'm curious how bad it would be without the torque rod ...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #185 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »
Toybrota,

Well... I went back in time in my old brain cells to when I was modifying my 85, lift and spring packs, and YES!!....  I did install a drop drag link.  :yesnod:  I probably have some photos, but I can't find any right now.

BUT... I do not remember having a steering pull problem... although it IS possible and I just don't remember it being a serious deal and I fixed it.  I am picky about the steering and braking. :driving:

Gnarls. :gap:
Didn't know that was an option in Draglinks, I thought it was the adjustable kind on the way bottom.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #186 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
Actually, I'll probably get the northwest bracket for the time being, it's cheap and will work great for the time being.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #187 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »

Bushing Kit

Aussie Parts

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the bracket tomorrow, it seems like a pretty good deal. I was quoted $57 for the bracket, I might pay to get it overnighted as I kinda want that for California...

My main concern is a cracked frame, is that something I should indeed worry about? I haven't gone wheeling in awhile, I have the rod in place but maybe it's better to take it off for my trip?

85Buckett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #188 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Where's the crack?

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #189 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
Where's the crack?
It isn't cracked, However my research into the northwest bracket said that without an upgrade to the torque rod could cause a crack.
Just looked at my frame and it's completely fine, should I worry about the frame cracking while I'm gone? Ive had this truck lifted like this for over a year, no cracks. Went to Moab, jumped my truck bout 5 feet, no issues. However that can change.
I just worry.

85Buckett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #190 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
I wouldn't worry about that under normal street use for the short term.  I would remedy the issue as soon as possible with out jumping the truck or super flexing the steering out etc.   Cracks develop over repeated use and abuse will a week of driving on the street in it's current condition make a difference ? Probably not, but running the Rubicon for a week straight with out setting steering stops, bump stops or limit straps then yeah that may make a difference.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #191 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
It isn't cracked, However my research into the northwest bracket said that without an upgrade to the torque rod could cause a crack.
Just looked at my frame and it's completely fine, should I worry about the frame cracking while I'm gone? Ive had this truck lifted like this for over a year, no cracks. Went to Moab, jumped my truck bout 5 feet, no issues. However that can change.
I just worry.

the cracks usually happen after a year of flex-filled wheeling. once you get histeer you can ditch the torque rod. I wouldn't worry about cracks
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #192 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
I wouldn't worry about that under normal street use for the short term.  I would remedy the issue as soon as possible with out jumping the truck or super flexing the steering out etc.   Cracks develop over repeated use and abuse will a week of driving on the street in it's current condition make a difference ? Probably not, but running the Rubicon for a week straight with out setting steering stops, bump stops or limit straps then yeah that may make a difference.
Okay cool, I'm definitely getting that bracket, but I won't worry about overnighting it.
More than anything I'd like to save for High steer but i won't be able to do that for awhile so might as well do with what I've got.

85Buckett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #193 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
Yeah

High steer makes things work better. If you do it yourself  practice your welding skills so you can get the frame sleeved and the mounting plate on.  I'm staying with the old push pull for now and maybe a long while longer.  It's my trucks limiting factor but my wheeling partner ( my brother ) is running IFS with a OME T bar lift and 32x9.50s so we are about equal .  I'm not saying that high steer isn't practical and advantageous I'm just saying know your truck and what trails you run and who you run them with.  Long term you can use your $$$ to how it benefits you the most not just wheeling parts that you may not really need?

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #194 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
Yeah

High steer makes things work better. If you do it yourself  practice your welding skills so you can get the frame sleeved and the mounting plate on.  I'm staying with the old push pull for now and maybe a long while longer.  It's my trucks limiting factor but my wheeling partner ( my brother ) is running IFS with a OME T bar lift and 32x9.50s so we are about equal .  I'm not saying that high steer isn't practical and advantageous I'm just saying know your truck and what trails you run and who you run them with.  Long term you can use your $$$ to how it benefits you the most not just wheeling parts that you may not really need?
Exactly, I feel the same way.
I'm more wanting a good solid daily, and once I get this torque rod thing fixed I'll be good to go for awhile.
I've daily driven this thing for about 2 years now, I wanna keep doing it.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #195 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
Save your money. Pull the bar off, throw it away. Save the funds for high steer.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #196 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Save your money. Pull the bar off, throw it away. Save the funds for high steer.
I risk an awful braking experience though... I feel like the steering will get much worse along with the braking.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #197 on: Dec 04, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
I daily drove my 84 for 4 years with 3" lift springs and no bar. Never had a braking issue. I had the bar connected for the 1st week after the lift springs and it did what your saying yours does. I disconnected the bar and the trouble went away.
06 tacoma street truck

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: Dec 04, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
Don't waste your cash on the NW bracket, mine is in the parts pile after a slight  jump at the sand dunes and a bent drivers spring. Go for the Hy-Steer, you'll be soooo much happier, a little lighter in the wallet but happier.  The bracket only helped with nosedive during braking on my truck, no braking problems without it at all .   :twocents:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #199 on: Dec 04, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
I daily drove my 84 for 4 years with 3" lift springs and no bar. Never had a braking issue. I had the bar connected for the 1st week after the lift springs and it did what your saying yours does. I disconnected the bar and the trouble went away.
Huh, I'll have to look into that. I'll take it off today and see. Thanks for the tip, I value everyone's information, especially yours because you have definitely chimed in and helped me a lot.  Thanks man!

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #200 on: Dec 04, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
High steer is Definitely in my plans this spring.

I'm taking welding at Salt Lake Community College to get some skills, after that I feel like (depending on how much I learn) I'll be adequate to weld my own stuff.

At least that's the plan....

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
I hope he's teaching you more than just a couple weeks of mig. Just remember, a weld can look pretty but can be complete crap if you didn't get any penetration. I got lucky and didn't have to take welding at SLCC and got 2 years of learning mig welding. Truthfully I'd rather just pay someone with experience to weld the high steer and save yourself from wondering.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2017, 02:15:51 PM by Mudder »

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »
Running with no torque rod is not that bad.  If you have any more than a stock front pack you hardly notice. An extra stock leaf or two will make the dive/steer almost non-existent.  Mine ripped itself off the frame after a year or two of good wheeling.

Hy-steer Is totally worth it if you get more than 2" lifted.  Under that I'm not sure.  My '80 flexes pretty well on the push pull with flattened out rears up front.  Based on what I have experienced with that pickup the push-pull can work if it's within a reasonable range of ride height.

The main advantage of hy-steer in my opinion is the ability to get the front end way up front.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #203 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
I hope he's teaching you more than just a couple weeks of mig. Just remember, a weld can look pretty but can be complete crap if you didn't get any penetration. I got lucky and didn't have to take welding at SLCC and got 2 years of learning mig welding. Truthfully I'd rather just pay someone with experience to weld the high steer and save yourself from wondering.
Thanks for the tip, I'll be taking the welding class for awhile before I start on the welding.
Highsteer will happen this summer or spring, so I'll have plenty of time to weld. I also have friends that are damn near professional welders, and I feel more than comfortable with them helping me out. I'll also definitely consult the forums as much as possible, like I am now. Thanks for the advice!

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
I only suggested at as people I know went through that class and when they told me about it I wasn't very impressed with the short amount of time. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure he does a good job teaching it (I took my welding courses in high school). SLCC isn't a bad school, just get to the redwood campus ahead of time to actually find parking haha.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #205 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
We are all here to help and learn from one another. I try not to make suggestions if I haven't had direct experience regarding the subject. I think you'll be fine without the bar. When your funds support it go for high steer and enjoy the ease of turning.
06 tacoma street truck

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #206 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
We are all here to help and learn from one another. I try not to make suggestions if I haven't had direct experience regarding the subject. I think you'll be fine without the bar. When your funds support it go for high steer and enjoy the ease of turning.
Thanks ;)

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #207 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
Alrighty, got the bar off. Drives, and stops fine. I'll have to see how it is on the freeway while I'm driving.

On a side note, I got my oil pressure gauge installed. Sitting at about 7-14 psi at idle (hot)
And at 3000rpm I'm at over 50. Which I see as good. Pretty successful day.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #208 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
I only suggested at as people I know went through that class and when they told me about it I wasn't very impressed with the short amount of time. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure he does a good job teaching it (I took my welding courses in high school). SLCC isn't a bad school, just get to the redwood campus ahead of time to actually find parking haha.
I haven't even decided which campus yet, I schedule this Friday. It'll be a crazy holiday.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #209 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
Here's she is.