Author Topic: I Need Help ASAP  (Read 4517 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I Need Help ASAP
« on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »
 I know it is late, during the week and short notice but my truck is broke down on a trail in Orange County, it is not too far away but I need help to get to it and get it out. If anyone can help call me at 760-449-1780 or Cindy at 760-449-7036. I will be going early 2-23-17 to try and get it running again, if you can help and don't get an answer on my phone call Cindy's for information. It is up in Trabuco Canyon. I spent last evening getting it back and should be able to get it running but it is off the trail now and may need help to get it back on.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
Ron I hope you got help!  I wish Brian and I were close enough!
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »
My truck is home, a couple of my club members Randy Martin, Vince Martin and I rescued it today. When we got there and put the plugs in it started right up, with it running it made for a much easier extraction. Once running I came to realize that the only way that I could now get turned around I had to go up the wall that it rolled on in the first place. I really had to build up the nerve to drop the clutch, they told me it was standing straight up but I made it, the part that sucked was I had to go back down too!!! In pretty good shape, a few new scrapes on the right side, none the worse to wear. I think my son learned a valuable lesson, don't think he'll go out alone again.

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
Really glad all ended well and lessons were learned.  Would love to see video of the recovery!  Haha
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Glad you got it out!  This was the 4runner?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:21:25 AM »
 :worthless:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
Glad you got it out!  This was the 4runner?

I could say yes it was but then both are 4Runners, lol

It was Ghost-rider, the one very well equipped to tackle the tough trails, which is why he got so far in on this trail. Except for a small amount of damage to the right side it is fine. My son is still scratching his head as to why I haven't killed him over it. My thought is I let him take it, it is expected to possibly happen and most important when you see where he was, he could have easily been killed. I will post the Breakdown on the rescue shortly. He was extremely upset that it was that one since the rig has major sentimental value.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Vince Martin (Truck Trader),

It got real...Offroad recovery in Trabuco Canyon above Holy Jim. I've been a member of Spinnin Fours for many years and my good friend Ron Nissley called and said that his son Robbie Nissley rolled his 4runner Wednesday night up at the very top of the trail and recovery was going to be very difficult because of where he was at. He wasn't kidding! I know Ron well and if he said it may not be possible to get it that we were in for a long, long day and a thrilling ride. My dad Randy Martin and I answered the call and packed up and headed out Friday morning (cue mission impossible music). I wish I had more pics and video because it was a real adventure and these pics don't do it justice, but unfortunately my ass was too busy grabbing phone to take pics. Ron got it fired up around 2:00 pm after purging the oil from the cylinders and luckily it didn't bend a rod in the trusty old 22RE so we were on business. Now all he had to do was finish the 40 foot trek up to the top to turn around, and yes that's where it rolled the first time. After serious contemplation, finishing his will, and reaching down and grabbing his balls Ron made it to the top and turned around. I chose to back down from where I was, it was hairy enough getting the blue IFS 4runner that far even with dual cases and lockers front and rear. I made some spectacular wheel stands and I had pulled a tire over 6' in the air often on the way up and down. With a lot of work, skill, balls and friendship we made down safely to the staging area around 5:30. What a day. Back story - Recent rains created huge ruts and ravines which made getting to the vehicle difficult. They had been up there two days in a row trying to get it started but it was hydro locked and would start because it rolled on the right side and all the oil filled the plenum. Winching and cranking the engine killed the battery so they would have to hike 1/4 mile down the trail and switch batteries with their other 4runner and charge it, them drag it all the way up a steep gnarly hill and try again because they didn't have a built rig to get closer to it. Ron us a recovery expert and he and Robbie had actually managed to get it on its wheels all by themselves which was quite an accomplishment.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
From Robbie Nissley (Rocks For Brains), I owe everything to Ron Nissley Vince Martin and Randy Martin for coming to the rescue and saving my ass from the gnarliest situation I've ever put myself into. I owe it all to you three

Researched this trail the night before and read that it was an easy moderate trail and that mildly capable vehicles could run it. Well I didn't account for the crazy rainstorm that happened last week and the possibility of washouts along the trail so I decided why not right? I have my dads extremely capable 4Runner with dual transfer cases, a winch and dual lockers so it should be a piece of cake which was the case for the first 1 1/4 miles and the :pokinit: got real and was at the point of no return. While climbing the last hard section i slipped into a 4 foot hole and laid the truck on its passenger side. Luckily I was able to get it back on all 4's again and upright. Continue reading Vince's post for the rest of the recovery mission!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
 From Ron Nissley (Rocksurfer), My truck is home, a couple of my club members Randy Martin, Vince Martin Robbie Nissley and I rescued it today. When we got there for the third day in a row and put the plugs in it started right up, with it running it made for a much easier extraction. Once running I came to realize that the only way that I could now get turned around I had to go up the wall that it rolled on in the first place. I really had to build up the nerve to drop the clutch, they told me it was standing straight up but I made it, the part that sucked was I had to go back down too!!! In pretty good shape, a few new scrapes on the right side, none the worse to wear. Oh, and a special thanks to Alan Mizutani for allowing Vince to borrow his old truck, "Old Blue" to be able to even get to where my truck was. Not surprised that it actually made it even though he was 3 wheeling it a lot! Also thank you to David Barnes for coming all the way from Hesperia to help out on day 2, and to Socal TTORA for sending a team to try and get to us. It was tougher than the expected.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »
Here's the start up.. smokey Joe, and some more pics that kinda show how bad the incline was that he rolled on, the only problem was the photographer was taking them to look level. Notice that one pic where I'm getting an assist push up and into the back of my truck, yes it was so steep where it was sitting that I had to have Randy push me up and in, My trusty inclometer was sitting at 25 degrees up and 20 to the right, pretty hairy just sitting there. Probably why it took 3 days to clear out of the oil. Since it was showing 0 oil at the time I added 4 qts. now at home it has a couple qts. too much from draining back into the pan.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »
Looks very similar to chappie off road park, all red clay and manzanita brush
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
Got this in a Fortune Cookie today...

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
Got this in a Fortune Cookie today...

hmmm, how come yours is so happy? I got a fortune cookie that i've had tucked in my phone case for a while... "all things must end"
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
Wish I would have got that one before I let my kid borrow my 4Runner. lol

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »
How did that window not break??
Time to go wheelin!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »
I wondered that too

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
How did that window not break??

It's a T-O-Y-O-TA!!  :yesnod:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:07:17 AM »
... and some more pics that kinda show how bad the incline was that he rolled on...,

I am very happy to read this adventure turned out pretty good considering the "what if's".

I agree that punishing your boy would not mean much because in his heart and mind he is already very punished.

After 20+ plus years of active and serious trail running from Mexico to Moab, I rolled my '85 shortbed over on the driver's side on a 3 foot burm on the side of a hill at .001 MPH.  I knew the spot very well because we had been there 3 or 4 times before.  My two buddies were behind me about 1 minute and did not see me.  When I got on the CB and said I rolled over on my drivers side, they thought I was joking.  When they got there, they said "How in T-H-E hell did you do that!!??"  My answer was, "Well, obviously it took a lotta work!!! After getting my truck back on its wheels and backed off the little burm, I stood there looking at the ground, I realized there where angles and declines that I didn't calculate as I drove up on it.

Everyone I know that I have wheeled with cannot truthfully say they are "boo-boo-less". 

Experience is the Mother of Wisdom.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:36:26 AM »
Everyone I know that I have wheeled with cannot truthfully say they are "boo-boo-less". 

Experience is the Mother of Wisdom.

Gnarls.

I won't say the words for obvious reasons, but i'll say I've been lucky so far. yesterday though, I was trying to back up off a really steep pull-out, onto a really sideways steep two track , and for whatever reason the transmission didn't read my mind and put itself in reverse and I almost drove into a ravine haha.

glad it turned out alright too, looks like you may have lost a mirror though
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:59:49 AM »
I’ll share this to make a point about safety and mitigating risk…

This roll over was at about 35 MPH on a flat gravel road. My left tire caught a gravel burm and sucked me into the side of hill and the truck went up and over and landed on the cab, then rolled over onto the driver’s side.  My immediate fear was fire.  The engine stalled and I reached over up and turned off the ignition switch.

The compression completely blew out the back slider.  I’m so thankful my wife and I were both seat belted. I immediately asked if she was OK…  She said “Yes”.  I had to scoot down towards the floor board to get my head unpinned enough to unbuckle her. She fell onto me and then climbed out the back window.  Glass shards were everywhere and all over us.  The impact pushed the cab into my head. I was damn lucky to walk away with only minor injuries.  The 22 minute Medi-vac helicopter flight to Scottsdale wasn’t really necessary, but the paramedics at the scene insisted I go.  Strapping me down on a flipp’n board for the flight was more painful than any of my injuries!  And… staring up at a guy’s crotch that was literally 3” from my nose kept me thinking during the entire 22 minutes “I definitely do NOT want to do this again!!”  I don’t remember why or how, but I ended up in the emergency room with no shoes!... and I never saw them again.

At the hospital, the attending physician was the biggest A-hole doctor I’d ever had met.  Once they determined I had no life threatening injuries, I was wheeled off to a hallway like I had less than a mosquito bit!!  If I had shoes, at one point I wanted get off the gurney and walk out.

My biggest concern was that I had to leave my wife behind to deal with the tow truck and getting the truck home. During the time we got the truck rolled back onto its wheels, I managed to drive over my cell phone, so I could not call her.

That little helicopter flight cost $15,000!

I was depressed for weeks about destroying my truck and my cell phone.

If I were to get back into serious wheeling, I would not get into an off-road driven vehicle without a well designed roll cage and a 5-point harness!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2017, 04:10:05 AM by Gnarly4X »

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
That's a great story Gnarls, I enjoyed it very much.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
I agree with you and have placed a roll cage (exo) next on My list.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.